PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about purchasing first ball

Lhaimbhee
11-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Hello, One and all, Im new to this forum, and new to bowling. I have been considering purchasing my own ball to get rid of the repetitive task of adjusting to a new house ball every time i bowl. Some information about me is, I have been bowling now for about year and a half.

I used to bowl every 2-3 weeks but for the past year i have been pretty much bowling once a week. I am 5ft. 11in. and about 170lbs. I use 14 and sometimes 15 house balls when bowling.

I was told when someone buys a ball that actually is fitted to their hand, they usually go 1lb heavier because it will feel lighter since it is the right fit. Lately I have been using 14, so i was wondering if that would mean that i would use a 15lb if its custom fitted.

As far as bowling goes, i am interested in a ball that doesn't hook much, mainly because i am new and want to learn how to bowl straight consistently. Also i tend to through roughly 16-18mph, according to the sensors at the lanes, not sure how accurate it is though. And my average is usually around 120 pins a game.

I feel that if i have a ball that is the same every time rather then what is available at the bowling lane, the house ball, I feel then i can actually start to learn rather then adjusting every time.

Anyways i have done some research about a couple months ago but never got a ball. I know based on the c overstock affects it's "grip" or "hook potential". So now it comes down to what is the best ball for me for those circumstances,

I would rather spend the money and get the right ball rather than having to buy twice. I am keeping in mind that in the future when i have my straight ball controlled and learned, i can then use that ball as a spare ball. But without getting ahead of myself, any pointers as to which ball have been reputable for their performance at least entry level wise, would be greatly appreciated.

jimgilmore
11-12-2010, 12:35 AM
If you are a 1 hand bowler and not a two hand bowler I would suggest getting the ball drilled for fingertip. The balls hook still is dependent on coverstock. You may do quite well starting off with a WD . Which would have a minimun of hook. The wd still works well as a spare ball when you decide you want to embrace a ball that hooks more.

bowl1820
11-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Hello Lhaimbhee welcome to the forum,

As always the place to start when getting your first ball is your local proshop. Check with the other bowlers at your house to see if they recommend it or another place locally. Then if possible see if the pro can watch you bowl some and see what he recommends as a good starting ball.

Also after you first get fitted for a ball, as you use it watch for any fit problems. you might have to have the grip adjusted some till it's a perfect fit ( anything from opening the holes up some, to changing pitches). Now the fit might be perfect right from the start, just watch see how it feels and if you have any issues.

Yes when you have a custom fitted ball it does feel lighter, your not straining to hold it etc. If your comfortable throwing a 15# ball I'd go with that.

As for what ball to get, yes you could start with a plastic ball (really they are polyester) like a whitedot, Maxim or Icestorm etc. They are the same as the plastic houseball's, they go basically straight with the minimum of hook. Nothing wrong with starting there.

Me I would recommend a entry level reactive ball something like a Ebonite Tornado, Storms tropical line or Brunswick Slingshot line.
I think I would go with the Slingshot, because it uses the Powerkoil 17 coverstock. That's a fantastic coverstock been around along time.

I think you'dbe happier with a entry level reactive ball, because it would give you a little more hook than a plastic ball.Plus it would carry better than a plastic ball (which would deflect more), But you'll still be able to straighten it out when needed.

Also Something that is just as important (sometimes more so) to get is YOUR OWN BOWLING SHOES!. Get the best ones you can afford (Dexters,Etonics are good ones) you'd be surprised the difference it makes over house shoes. Better fit, consistent slide. They don't have to be the most expensive.

Lhaimbhee
11-14-2010, 10:51 AM
well thank you for both of your answers, I do have my own bowling shoes although i am worried about them. I bought them at sports authority like a year ago because i wanted to save money on shoes. Now i felt though that they are universal some how. Because i know your suppose to have a sliding foot, but these shoes dont designate which is the sliding shoe and the bottom of each is the same in the front, just some sort of felt padding. They are brunswick shoes all black, they are nice to have something that fit and is your own but not sure if it is affecting my game because i feel they dont slide with ease, i dont know if that is an issue with the shoes or if its just a combination of breaking them in and learning how to balance in that position.

Anyways, In regards to a ball, which i appreciate your advice you have given me, I was wondering about the finger holes. Now Ive seen two things, some with finger inserts and some without. Now i was wondering is it better to have finger inserts? I have seen some on a visit i went to the pro shop and they have shown me the different kinds and i felt how they have different "contours" inside them. Now i was wondering, what benefits do those provide, are they just extra bells and whistles, or are they suppose to provide a more grip and consistent finger placement?

I heard you may have to replace them so is it really worth the extra expense for something you will have to maintain. I would ask the bowling shop owner, but after all, i feel that it is a business and their answer may be influenced on making a profit so that is why i came to this forum to get answer from people with much greater experience and knowledge then my own and for a sharing of knowledge for the good of others and not just for profit.

So once again i really want to express my gratitude for your help but if you can help me with a decision on finger grips, i was curious as if finger grips were for future altercations.

*Oh and i am a one handed bowler.

bowl1820
11-14-2010, 12:55 PM
As for the shoes, the ones you describe sound like "universal" shoes. Meaning you can slide on either foot, which most people start out with nothing wrong there. Depending on how long you've been using them, yes they'll have a break in period.

Now with higher quality shoe's they have a slide sole and a traction sole. the traction sole helps you get more power in your slide. Also most have a interchangeable slide sole so you can adjust your slide.

As for using finger inserts or not. Thats kind of a personal preference, but most bowlers today use them.

There are many types and several good makers and have several characteristics, such as texture,shape, hardness and pitch. There are two basic shapes round and oval and the inside can be smooth or have different textures.

They can be soft or hard, soft ones can help give you more revs but wear out faster. hard ones dont cling as much and don't wear out as fast.

Finger inserts can create a feel that is priceless and Depending on how much you bowl you won't have to replace them that often.

A casual league bowler can get away with replacing them once a year like at the beginning of the season or every 6 months. If you bowl more or use very soft ones it would be more often. I check about every 30-40 games, see how they are. The cost is minimal less than $10 a pair (depending on where you are), you can even save a dollar or two by gluing them in yourself its not hard.

is it really worth the extra expense for something you will have to maintain

In Bowling maintenance is just like in anything else, you spend a little to save a lot. Whether it's replacing a pair of grips or maintaining your ball by sanding or polishing the ball or making sure to clean the ball good after using it.

You maintain it so you don't have to replace it and/or to keep it working the same way or keep the feel of your grip the same.

Is it worth it? Well to me it is, the grips feel good, they give me a little better grip. I even use a thumb insert.

Lhaimbhee
11-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Once again thank you for your help and advice. It is greatly appreciated. Anyways i stopped by the pro shop yesterday and spoke with the owner and talked to him. I still haven't made my decision yet but through further research i shall come up with which one i intend on purchasing. Probably next week i'll get one before i bowl so i can then try it out. But thank you for your knowledge that you have shared with me and i look forward to bowling with a ball of my own. So thanks!