PDA

View Full Version : Very serious about getting Seriously Good

BrassDrummer
11-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Hey, I'm just getting more involved in bowling. I've always loved the sport, but never had an alley by my house. I've recently moved, and have started bowling Every week, at least 2 or 3 times a week, and at least 5 or 6 games every time I bowl. I just started this schedule about 2 weeks ago. Before this, I've done the usual maybe 3 or 4 times a year for fun. Right now my average is about 120ish. I'm working on my technique, and my delivery, but do not have a ball of my own.

What would be a good ball for somebody who is looking to get very involved in the sport, and become very good in the future? I feel like I play with a lot of hook, as I can get a decent amount of hook out of the house balls. I play with a 14 pound ball.

Should I shop at the local Pro Shop? Or should I order a ball offline, and have it drilled out.

What would be the best way, besides the obvious practice, to get good. I know coaching would definitely help, but I'm not sure if I can afford it at this point in time. As of right now, I am constantly watching youtube videos of Pro's, and trying to learn what they do by watching.

Any advice anyone could give me would be a really great help.

Thank you for your help.

Punkrulz
11-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Personally I say you should definitely go through your local pro-shop. Here's my reasons as to why!

1) You should always support your local pro-shop. It's always nice to have a good one in the area, as there are many other benefits.
2) Lots of good pro-shop employees will request that you show them how you bowl. They will typically set you up on a lane (usually for a cheaper cost), watch you throw a few shots and then provide you with some advice on what kind of ball(s) you should get.
3) Again based on seeing how you throw, they will know exactly how they should drill the ball for max performance for you as well.
4) Typically you can get free drilling when the purchase of any ball from the pro-shop. Make sure to ask them for details!
5) The pro-shop employee may also see something that could be negatively effecting your game during your throw. They typically offer free advice and coaching, even though many of them do one-on-one training at a price.
6) Previously I thought that you could never "try" a ball before buying it, which was disappointing. My pro-shop explained that this is wrong as some of their demo balls have thumb slugs that are replaceable, so that you get a good fitting test ball to see how you like it.

Overall I definitely say go to the pro-shop. The prices online might be cheaper, however between free ball drilling (note: usually) and also the one-on-one advice you get from the pro-shop owner is priceless when you're trying to better your game. It's always good to get a good rapport with your pro-shop employees as it will come in handy as you continue to better your game down the line!

J Anderson
11-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey, I'm just getting more involved in bowling. I've always loved the sport, but never had an alley by my house. I've recently moved, and have started bowling Every week, at least 2 or 3 times a week, and at least 5 or 6 games every time I bowl. I just started this schedule about 2 weeks ago. Before this, I've done the usual maybe 3 or 4 times a year for fun. Right now my average is about 120ish. I'm working on my technique, and my delivery, but do not have a ball of my own.

What would be a good ball for somebody who is looking to get very involved in the sport, and become very good in the future? I feel like I play with a lot of hook, as I can get a decent amount of hook out of the house balls. I play with a 14 pound ball.

Should I shop at the local Pro Shop? Or should I order a ball offline, and have it drilled out.

What would be the best way, besides the obvious practice, to get good. I know coaching would definitely help, but I'm not sure if I can afford it at this point in time. As of right now, I am constantly watching youtube videos of Pro's, and trying to learn what they do by watching.

Any advice anyone could give me would be a really great help.

Thank you for your help.

First, the best investment you can make, if you haven't already, is to buy your own bowling shoes. at the rate that you are bowling they will pay for themselves in a few months.

As for a ball, I suggest an entry level reactive resin ball with a symmetric core. I most cases, buying online and having it drilled locally is not any cheaper than buying locally. Oh yes, go with a fingertip grip. With a properly fitted ball, you may be able to throw 15 or 16 pounds.

As for watching the pros, you've probably noticed that no two of them throw the ball the same way. their styles work for them because they have bowled thousands of practice games until every motion becomes automatic. At this point you should be trying to keep your game as simple as possible. I would try to emulate the so called 'textbook bowlers'. People like Danny Wiseman, Brian Voss, Parker Bohn III, Steve Jaros.

If you can't afford coaching, try joining a league. You may find more experienced bowlers who will be willing to help you improve.

There is also stuff on line, other than youtube, with advice on how to bowl better. There are also books that you could read.

BrassDrummer
11-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the replies, and the help. I do own my own pair of bowling shoes. They're some Low line Dexter shoes, and so far they have paid for themselves.

I am going to check out the local proshop in town today to see what kinda prices, and balls they have, as well as what they offer for drilling when I buy a ball. I will keep everyone up to date as to how my progress goes, and will post scores of games I bowl today if I get a new ball, and even if I don't.

BrassDrummer
11-20-2010, 09:26 PM
WOOT! I got a ball. I picked up a Columbia Freeze in Scarlet/Black. Its 14 Lbs, and Its gonna take alot of getting used to compared to a plastic ball. I'm used to using alot of hand in the ball to get great hook with a plastic ball, but it just isn't needed with this. So that will be an adjustment I need to make. I feel like I need to get some more speed in my ball, or it will hook too early.

I bowled 6 games, and My first game I had maybe 80 lol. It was not pretty. I shot one game of about 115, but everything else was either in the 90's, or just barely breaking 100. Alot of my balls were missed because they hooked off into the left way too early, and A few were just me sucking, missing my mark to the right of the left. I do have alot of practicing to do.

J Anderson
11-20-2010, 11:05 PM
WOOT! I got a ball. I picked up a Columbia Freeze in Scarlet/Black. Its 14 Lbs, and Its gonna take alot of getting used to compared to a plastic ball. I'm used to using alot of hand in the ball to get great hook with a plastic ball, but it just isn't needed with this. So that will be an adjustment I need to make. I feel like I need to get some more speed in my ball, or it will hook too early.

I bowled 6 games, and My first game I had maybe 80 lol. It was not pretty. I shot one game of about 115, but everything else was either in the 90's, or just barely breaking 100. Alot of my balls were missed because they hooked off into the left way too early, and A few were just me sucking, missing my mark to the right of the left. I do have alot of practicing to do.

For right now practice hitting your mark. Then you can figure out how many boards to the left that you have to move your feet to hit the pocket.

HollowPB40
11-29-2010, 11:47 PM
First thing to do when buying a new bowling ball is to have a foundation of which to throw a bowling ball. If you have a fingertip grip(which we all hope you have), keep your wrist straight and your fingers relaxed. Take that medium hand position as a reference point of which to change your game from.

After keeping a straight hand, learn to hit your mark, or near it, consistently. When throwing the ball, always keep a good rhythm with your feet and your hand open.

After you find a good style of which to throw the ball and you're comfortable with it, learn how the ball reacts to your local house and find a good line to the pocket. Remember, the rule of thumb is if you miss left, you move left. Keep your accuracy high and your arm swing loose. Good Bowling!

richc
11-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Consider strongly hiring a certified coach or a local bowling professional experienced in coaching to help you get on a good path to improvement. Before you spend too much money on equipment, take a lesson or two so you can develop physical game skills and alignment strategies which will no doubt help you improve.

Self teaching is a very difficult process and in most cases leads to no real positive end. You might find that lessons are not as costly as you might think? Hope you give some real thought to this suggestion? Just want to help out and make sure you know this notion of taking lessons is intended as a measure of respect. Wish you well.

BrassDrummer
12-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Woot! Just got back from bowling. Bowled 6 games, and my three top scores were a 149, 159, and a 207! I am stoked. i found that my biggest problem was not giving the ball momentum as I went to release it. That made my pin travel go Crazy!

Fairlington Blade
12-18-2011, 12:51 PM
How's it been going since you started bowling? I started out in the 140s and drifted up a bit before getting stuck in the mid-150s. Becoming league secretary is not conducive to improving your game.

BB

Thank you for the replies, and the help. I do own my own pair of bowling shoes. They're some Low line Dexter shoes, and so far they have paid for themselves.

I am going to check out the local proshop in town today to see what kinda prices, and balls they have, as well as what they offer for drilling when I buy a ball. I will keep everyone up to date as to how my progress goes, and will post scores of games I bowl today if I get a new ball, and even if I don't.

billf
03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Ask around about coaching. Personally, I have been giving free lessons to build my reputation and trust among the local bowling community. Being newly certified doesn't necessarily mean I know any less or more, just not as experienced explaining it to people. Other than that, all certified USBC coaches took the same classes.

Etrain
05-06-2012, 09:05 PM
a lesson would be your best bet. Im new and took 2 lessons and it improved my game tremendously.

billf
05-06-2012, 10:01 PM
I've been bowling 6 years and earned my coaching certification. Not being able to see myself and never enough time to record myself, I went to a bowling clinic yesterday. Right away Ron Hatfield saw my push away and backswing were too high. I didn't think my backswing was close to parallel. Turns out it was almost completely vertical. Andy Parker suggested I lengthen my first step to a full step (5 step approach) and cut down on the distance of my crossover step. I had purposely changed these to where they were but with my shortened swing the old steps worked better.
I did get lucky. A clinic with a gold and 2 silver coaches, 8 students and 6 lanes doesn't happen very often (designed for 40).
A good bowler doesn't necessarily make a good coach. Personally I subscribe to the old saying "a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client". All too often we either judge ourselves too harshly or gloss over the things we shouldn't.