PDA

View Full Version : Help on revs and being more consistent

Josh^
11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Well i'm a high school bowler, freshman and 14 years old. I started bowling with a Columbia 300 u-turn particle. Yesterday I went and picked up a new storm invasion. I've bowled 9 games with it since and I've averaged around 175 or so with it. I've always had a problem with consistency, with the Invasion I stand at middle dot, and aim for 2nd or 1st arrow. With this ball I usually hit pocket and leave solid 10's or I don't get the amount of revs I need and hit the 3 pin. My question is how to maintain consistency and a good way to pick up speed and revs. I'm not really sure how to calculate my speed because my local bowling alley doesn't have a detection system for it.

Thanks,
Josh

Beech
11-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Hey josh heres a tip ive learned to generate rev its all wrist position have you hand on teh side of the ball at start instead of under it directly and fall through with it, another thing is to remember to hit it hard with just your fingers not your wrist, if you could get a picture of your invasion drilling it might help.

for being more consistent, all you can do is pratice keep your timing on and pratice throwing the ball out my coach told me the farther you look in the more the ball will hook so pratice looking straight down at the foul line when you finish or looking down lane its up to you but for swinging the ball remember to have your help beside your body, yoru sqaure to your target and have your arm out and for testing speed if your ball gets down the lane in UNDER 3 seconds your throwing it to fast.

Motiv Girl
12-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Used with permission from Coolerman.

Generating a higher rev rate begins in the stance.To increase your rev rate, set your fingers in a stronger position by turning your wrist to place the ring and middle finger in the 7 and 8 o’clock position.
To set your hand in a strong position, at the point of release, you must keep your fingers in this position through the pushaway and into the swing. As you are developing a feel for this method, focus on holding this strong position until your hand passes your ball-side leg. This will establish the habit of keeping your hand in a strong position as you enter into the upswing setting the stage for a strong finger position at the top of the swing.
The easiest way to accomplish this is to focus on maintaining your ring finger in the same position, from the stance, through the push, into the swing. Keep the ring finger in the strong position.
It is also important to establish a leverage-producing body position. This will promote a later body position at the finish as well as increase your target accuracy.

This can be done by leaning to the ball-side after setting your hand. You are leaning at the shoulders to place your ball-side eye directly over your arm and the ball, which is aligned with the target line.
With this lean at the shoulders, you are placing your body in a position to promote dropping the shoulder as you release and finish. Ideally, you want the bowling hand under the ball-side eye at the point of release.

Watch for early turn, this is when a bowler begins to turn their hand too soon in the downswing. This early rotation leads the hand to be rotated around the ball before the release. This minimizes the potential of the hand to be in this strong position. Worse yet, this eliminates the potential of generating different ball reactions by changing the axis rotation, at the release.
To eliminate early hand rotation is to simply wait until your bowling hand reaches the intersection of your slide shoe heel. This requires patience and practice.Basically, you want a short acceleration point just in front of the ankle. By focusing on the heel of the slide shoe, you will be able to approximate this position.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A no-step approach is a good exercise to practice the release motion. Set up at the foul line in your finishing position. Create a smooth rounded pushaway and let the ball swing freely while keeping your palm forward. Fingers should move through and slightly counter-clockwise to add rotation motion as the thumb exits the ball. This drill also allows you to watch your hand motion to help improve the release more quickly. Remember it is very important that you have a free arm swing and maintain good balance throughout this exercise. Without these two pieces, it is more difficult to work on the hand motion of the release.