PDA

View Full Version : New ball problems.

etnbowler
11-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I just purchased a new Storm reign of fire after using a blue Hammer for over 20 years. My problem is the new ball is very sensitive to lane conditions and I'm having problems linning up my approach and picking my target also.
I'm having to start my approach more towards the middle of the lane than before, and if I miss my target even by one board it hits the pins way left. The Hammer ball was a little more foregiving if I made a slight error. Any help would be appreciated.

The Mayor
11-22-2010, 02:15 PM
The ROF is a much more aggressive ball than the Blue Hammer. The Blue Hammer was a urethane ball, which is much more even rolling and less responsive to friction than reactive balls like the ROF. However, having a good core inside the ball will improve your pin carry greatly. So it is going to take some getting used to after bowling with the same urethane ball for 20 years. My suggestion would be to take the ball to your local pro shop and have them take the surface up to 4000 abralon. Being that the surface is at 1000 now, taking it to 4000 will make it a little less aggressive and help the ball get down the lane more before hooking. You can always try to take it to 2000 first, but I don't think that will be enough of a change. If this doesn't fix it, you may be able to have your driller put a balance hole in the ball to smooth out the reaction. I think once you get the hang of the new ball you will get to see what it can really do. It's a great ball and will improve your game in the long run.

etnbowler
11-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the reply whiskey basin. First, what is ROF? Second, one of the better bowlers on our team said to give it a few more games for some of the pores to fill up with oil, thus not having as much bite. I said should I not clean it as much and he said you can't clean all the oil out of the pores. I have noticed that when I bought it that it had a dull finish, now that I have bowled about 9 games it has started to shine a bit.

etnbowler
11-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Sorry, I just figured out what ROF is. DAAAAAA

Beech
11-22-2010, 03:54 PM
the ROF is a very aggressive ball compared to your blue hammer which is older than me lol, balls today are a lot more reactive and less forgiving in a way, but it does take getting used to. i do agree with what wisky said get the ball polished up to 4000 or even 2000, it will go down the lane longer befor hooking making it more forgiving in a way

richc
11-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Most of us do not take a bowling lesson from a certified USBC coach or from a local bowling professional to learn more about lining up on a given lane condition. Lessons can be helpful.

With good strike alignment with your feet positioning on the approach and with the target down the lane, your new ROF ball will certainly provide improved pin carry and a stronger angle of entry into the pocket than the older urethane ball.

Please consider taking a lesson to check out your alignment and pick up some suggestions on lane adjustments when the lanes breakdown. Sometimes a small investment in a bowling lesson in comparison to the cost of a new ball will be very helpful?