PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing A Ball

Starhawk
11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
I currently throw a 15 pound Ebonite Total NV. I usually start out at the 2nd arrow from the right and move left as the lane dries up. I start my stance with the thumb closest to me on the right side of my body with the middle and ring finger directly north. I hold the ball right below my peck muscle. My release usually carries a medium revolution throw.

I was looking at a Storm Virtual Energy as I believe I need a reactive cover stock and an asymmetrical core but I could totally be wrong here. A bowling on my team said a urethane mix cover stock might be good but I didn't think those were reactive. (Nonreactive cover stock and asymmetrical core?) Let me know what you're thinking I should buy here.

P.S. I've had a lot of problems getting strikes with my current ball as of late. I usually hit way late behind the 3 pin when the lane is oily.

SenorRotoGrip
11-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Without seeing you bowl, it is hard to recommmend a new ball. If you are moving left and the ball is hitting behind the 3 pin, more than likely you are moving in way to deep and do not have enough hand to bring the ball back out of the oil. If your scores are ok until the lane starts to dry up, a weaker, shinier, or hybrid coverstock that utilizes a symetrical weight block should help. If you bowl on a wood surface, urethane is also a good choice.
Some suggestions:
Roto Grip:
Nomad Solid comes with a 1500 polished surface than can be dulled a little if need be
Nomad Dagger same core as the Nomad but with a polished hybrid cover
Nomad Dark Star a polished cover with a weaker cover than the Nomad line
Grenade is a urethane cover.

When laying out a new ball for the condition you describe, use weaker pins positions (5 to 6 inches from your axis) keeping them above your finger holes. These layouts will create more length as the lanes dry up.
Hope this helped.

SenorRotoGrip

The Mayor
11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
It also sounds like you may need something that is a little more aggressive and will start up sooner than the NV. Take a look at the Roto Grip Theory or Storm Prodigy. Theory will be the most aggressive but the Prodigy is the most versatile, in my opinion.

Starhawk
11-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I could possibly see buying a Nomad Dark Star but the other's I couldn't. When you said "moving in way to deep and do not have enough hand to bring the ball back out of the oil", how do you correct this?

What about the:
Storm Virtual Energy
Hammerhead Jigsaw

How are these balls?

Beech
11-29-2010, 01:52 AM
i own both of these bowling balls and those are my go to balls with the lanes start to dry up, the jigsaw will usally only work if theres back end on the lane the V.E will go down and hit hard. the V.E is my favorite ball of all i got :D