PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A New Ball But Need Help

kingdaveiv
11-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Hello everyone I’m new to the forum and pretty excited about the sport of bowling. So far I’ve been bowling once a week for the past four months via college course. My bowling average increased from 100 to 120 and I can consistently bowl straight. As of late I’ve been practicing bowling a hook and found some success with it but for some odd reason I either hook it too much or not enough. After thinking about it for some time and chatting with one of the bowling staff I purchased a Columbia Freeze #15 "reactive ball". I found my bowling experience more pleasant with my ball in comparison to the house balls. My fingers were in heaven, my straight shots were on the mark and I found it easier to hook my ball verses the house ball I was using. However, my hooks still come up to early or to late using the Traditional hook.
I have three different methods of bowling: (I'm Right Handed)
1) Two Finger Back Hook (No Thumb): I use this shot the least because it hurts my middle finger due to the weight of the ball resting on that finger as I release the ball. However I bowled my highest game of 166 using this type of shot.
2) Traditional Straight Ball: Use this shot the most and not a problem. My highest game using this shot was 130.
3) Traditional Hook: Still learning having a difficult time hooking the ball that’s why I use the two finger back hook.
*Note* don’t know the proper name for the "two finger back hook" but when the ball is released it looks as if a lefty hooked the ball.
I was thinking of using this ball as a spare ball and buying another ball that I can use as a primary. But I don’t know of any balls that would hook well for me here are my specs.
I’m 5’8 125lbs I like bowling for accuracy rather than power, speed and brute force (put the ball in the right spot and watch the pins fall). I find the heavy balls work well for me since they don’t slightly hook especially when they hit an oil streak. My y is 1/8 and my x is 3/8, my middle finger depth is 72, ring 68 and middle 86.
Thanks for your help.

J Anderson
11-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Hello everyone I’m new to the forum and pretty excited about the sport of bowling. So far I’ve been bowling once a week for the past four months via college course. My bowling average increased from 100 to 120 and I can consistently bowl straight. As of late I’ve been practicing bowling a hook and found some success with it but for some odd reason I either hook it too much or not enough. After thinking about it for some time and chatting with one of the bowling staff I purchased a Columbia Freeze #15 "reactive ball". I found my bowling experience more pleasant with my ball in comparison to the house balls. My fingers were in heaven, my straight shots were on the mark and I found it easier to hook my ball verses the house ball I was using. However, my hooks still come up to early or to late using the Traditional hook.
I have three different methods of bowling: (I'm Right Handed)
1) Two Finger Back Hook (No Thumb): I use this shot the least because it hurts my middle finger due to the weight of the ball resting on that finger as I release the ball. However I bowled my highest game of 166 using this type of shot.
2) Traditional Straight Ball: Use this shot the most and not a problem. My highest game using this shot was 130.
3) Traditional Hook: Still learning having a difficult time hooking the ball that’s why I use the two finger back hook.
*Note* don’t know the proper name for the "two finger back hook" but when the ball is released it looks as if a lefty hooked the ball.
I was thinking of using this ball as a spare ball and buying another ball that I can use as a primary. But I don’t know of any balls that would hook well for me here are my specs.
I’m 5’8 125lbs I like bowling for accuracy rather than power, speed and brute force (put the ball in the right spot and watch the pins fall). I find the heavy balls work well for me since they don’t slightly hook especially when they hit an oil streak. My y is 1/8 and my x is 3/8, my middle finger depth is 72, ring 68 and middle 86.
Thanks for your help.

Just to be clear, are you saying that your 'two finger back hook' moves left to right? If so this is usually called a "back-up ball"

My guess is that for the traditional hook you are being inconsistent with either your release and / or your speed. The pro who drilled your ball might be willing to watch you throw a few frames and give you a few pointers on throwing a more consistent hook.

Big Dog
11-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Definitely get the proshop people to take a look at your technique. A back ball is really fighting with the way the ball is drilled. When a HOOK ball or reactive ball is drilled, several things are considered. Being a college student you should understand that these balls have a weight block or core that is balanced for you. To get the proper balance is how it is drilled. Think trig. A good proshop tech can help immensely in this. By the way, I own a Freeze and it is a great ball. Good luck and let us know if you need anything.

WAC4504
11-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Did you say you were taking a bowling coarse in collage? Either way I would recomend visiting the pro shop as well.

kingdaveiv
11-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Hello J, WAC (Western Atlantic Conference right?), and Big Dog. I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving Holiday as much as I did. I was able to get a little bowling in Friday and early today at a local bowling alley because the one that host my school is closed till Monday. Based on what you guys are saying I may have made a mistake because the pro shop I went to is an offsite shop for a different alley. I went there because of they had a wide range of balls to choose from and I was able to purchase a ball, bag, and shoes all for $176.00 and not a penny more.
There is the price breakdown: Columbia #15 Freeze 115.00, BSI Bag 24.00 and Dexter Shoes 37.00.
While I was bowling today I met an older gent who was watching me and gave me a few pointers. The first pointer he told me to always bowl with a thumb especially with the backup ball because it’s too easy for an accident to happen and I seriously hurting myself as a result. Secondly he said contrary to what most people believe weight and speed of the ball falls secondary to ball placement. Then he showed me how to hook the ball by standing slightly behind the foul line and slightly rotating his hand as he release the ball which further illustrated power and speed is not need to knock most of the pins down. After watching me bowl my back shot, straight, and hook he stopped me and gave me a quick breakdown of each.
Straight Ball: Perfect in that it follows the path of where I put it. I just have to remember to allow the balls momentum to carry my arm and follow through on the release. If I can generate more power and speed behind the ball it could be good for a strike but for now it’s good for a pick up.
Backup Ball: The reason why I’m good at hooking the backup ball is because my technique is consistent through and through and that may be due in part that I’m limited on how much arm movement and rotation I can put on the ball. I need to work at getting the ball to hook between the 1 and 2 pins better so the ball will follow that path taking out the 5, 3, 9, 6 and 10 pins a little cleaner. This ball is good for a strike and a tossup for a spare pending on the pins I’m going for.
As far as the normal hook he said majority of the time the ball hook landing between the 3 and 6 pin knocking down every pin except the 7, 4, and 2 in any combination. He said that problem is only going to be fixed by getting a lighter ball because even if I stand a few boards over and hit between the 1 and 3 pins he know from experience the way the pins keep falling any combination of 9, 6, and 10 will still be standing. This ball is really a hit or misses as far as the strike and not recommend for the pickup.
As far as my ball is concerned he said it’s a very good ball for me if anything I may consider going lighter maybe 13 or 14 lbs. where I can put more power and speed behind it. Also when I get better I can alternate between the backup ball and hook for strikes and spare.
He concluded by saying just keep practicing bowling is a game of muscles memory and that only comes with time bowling.

To John that the name "Back-up Ball"
To Big Dog Yea I like the Freeze the ball was calling my name the second I laid eyes on her in the reactive ball section... smh... bad way to pick a ball huh.
To WAC Yea it’s for college but I plan to keep bowling after the course is over
To All right I’m going to keep my Freeze no way I’m giving her up or going to let them sand my baby down she is good as is.
My class is Wednesday afternoon but I plan on going bowling either Monday or Tuesday. Should I wait and visit the pro shop where my class is or any onsite pro shop is good?
*Note* I’m a little hesitant to get a ball for the pro shop that host my school because of their limited ball selection maybe 10 different balls at the most.

WAC4504
11-29-2010, 02:27 AM
Hey Kingdaveiv, my advise would be to keep it as simple as possible, by that I mean,if right handed, then bowl right handed, and forget about the backup ball. Trust me when I say that it will be challenging enough to learn to bowl the right way. I would also suggest that you might want to find a real coach, and take lessons. It sounds as though you want to be a good bowler and the best way to do that is to take lessons before you develop to many bad habits. The hardest part of taking lessons after you have taught yourself to bowl is unlearning the bad habits, and relearning good ones. If you don't care for the pro shop that the school uses then use the one you bought the ball from. I take lessons where I bowl, and it has made a big, big difference in my game. One of the great things about my coach is if you're in the house bowling and he sees you doing wrong, he'll correct you, unless you're bowling on a league at the time. It makes a big difference not only in your scores, but how you understand the sport as well. Just my advise, good luck with what ever you choose to do.

The Mayor
11-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Hey Kingdave, congrats on getting your own bowling ball and taking an interest in bowling. It can be a very rewarding sport when you take the time to learn. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like the older gentleman you spoke about is living in the past when it comes to bowling. You definitely do not want to go down in weight. It will only make you throw the ball harder and hook even less. The Freeze is a great ball to start out with, so you made a good decision. Right now, it seems that you are just trying too many things. You've got the straight ball down, which will always be useful for shooting spares. It takes time and practice to improve on throwing a normal hook, and you just haven't figured out the technique fully yet, which is why the ball isn't hooking enough. This will come with time and practice. I would forget the backup ball. It is almost impossible to create enough angle on the backend of the lane to carry consistently. You are also limited in what part of the lane you can bowl on, because a man's arm doesn't naturally turn in that direction. I think once you get a good coach and stick to one style you will really improve because it seems as though you have a passion for the sport. Good luck and keep up the good work!

ffemtreed
11-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Listen to what WAC4504 is telling you. Pick a correct style and stick with it. Once you learn that style you can learn other stuff such as a backup ball and etc.

I made the mistake of learning to bowl without my thumb in the ball when I was in HS and college 15 years ago. I got pretty decent at it and was able to average over 200 at times. I stopped bowling for a couple years and recently got back into it. I quickly got my average back up to 180 or 190 and then I started having all kinds of problems with my wrist. I haven't been able to bowl in a month now because I can't even hold a bowling ball because of the the two finger (thumbless) grip I learned how to use. I been trying SO HARD to learn to put my thumb in the ball and I just can't get it. its extremely frustrating knowing I can consistently bowl 200 games with my thumb less style but I am having a hard time breaking 120 with keeping my thumb in the ball.

having said all of this, I wish I would have taken someones advice when I first started learning to bowl to put my thumb in the ball and learn the proper way then instead of now. It would have been a lot easier for me and I wouldn't be sinking my team in leagues while re-learning how to bowl properly.

kingdaveiv
11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Hello everyone how is everyone doing? Thank you for your replies and advise that you are giving me I really appreciate that you are taking the time out of your day to help me.
Today I was not able to go bowling however I did work on my form and release while at home. I just wish someone would have warned me walls are like bowling ball magnets...smh... At least there not a hole in the wall...
I put in an inquire to join a beginner league at the local bowling alley just waiting for them to respond to my inquire.
I went on a few websites to look at some bowling balls and boy oh boy did I see some ball designs that really appealed to my eyes. Like the silver/black slingshot and In-Visa ball by Brunswick... Yea bowling ball eye candy lmbo...
However one thing I did notice is that pending on the ball that purchased it would cost the same as purchasing it in a pro shop when shipping, drilling, and insurance is added in. So no online for me plus I like to have someone to chat with and help me make a purchase.
To WAC: That will be my new bowling philosophy," Keep It Simple" I like it. I will definitely look into getting a professional bowling coach at my local bowling alley.
To Whiskey Basin: Thanks and I defiantly will to take the time to properly learn the sport.
To Ffentreed: I totally understand what you’re saying because I bowled my highest game using my two finger backup ball. However, the right side toward my finger nail of my right middle finger would hurt for about 2 to 4 days. It’s difficult knowing that I bowl better using an improper technique that hurts me at the same time. At times I just sit and shake my head knowing if I just threw that two finger backup ball I would have gotten a strike or three. I never really got into throwing that two finger normal hook because the ball would always hook to early no matter which board I use.

kingdaveiv
12-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I talked to the pro shop guy and he said the reason why my ball dont hook much is because its a conventions ball and not semi. So i'm physically limited on how much I can rotate the ball for a hook just from the grip itself. He also said dont worry about the weight because my wrist will get stronger the more I use it. I asked about lessons and he only do private lessons at $40 an hour...
But next week he is going to watch me bowl a few frames and give me more advise for free....
*Note* My bowling teacher said not to get a semi ball because everything he have taught me will have gone right out the window and getting another ball right now is a waste of money. Just learn how to bowl with the ball I have already get better with it then purchase a higher end ball of the similar type that way the conversion wont be difficult. Also he said dont waste $40 bucks on private lessons when I can pay however much I pay through the college and pretty much get the same deal for less with him.

bowl1820
12-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I talked to the pro shop guy and he said the reason why my ball don't hook much is because its a conventions ball and not semi..

It's not a "conventions ball", it should be a "Conventional grip ball" .

There were three basic grips Conventional, Semi-fingertip and Fingertip.

"Semi" meaning Semi-fingertip is a old style of grip and isn't used anymore.

Conventional and Fingertip are whats used today.

oregonbowler
12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
From what it sounds like to me you should probably listen to your pro-shop guy because to be honest with you most bowling classes in college are worthless and most of those coaches have no idea what they are talking about. meanwhile your proshop guy has had training and knows what he is talking about.