PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to my new house

rmndlws
09-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi all,
Newbie here. I just switched to a house that is using a 41' oil pattern and my scores went right down the toilet. I typically carry about a 208 - 215 average but this house is getting to me. My ball is hooking so hard when it gets past the pattern that I cannot get it under control. My main ball is a Storm Fired Up and it usually has a pretty good, gradual hook. Now, it is snapping once it hits the backend. Would adding a counter weight hole help slow the snap? Or would polishing the ball be the way to go? Any other tips?
I am a high-speed, high-rev bowler and have had very little success with changing that approach...
Thanks!

The KingPin
09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi all,
Newbie here. I just switched to a house that is using a 41' oil pattern and my scores went right down the toilet. I typically carry about a 208 - 215 average but this house is getting to me. My ball is hooking so hard when it gets past the pattern that I cannot get it under control. My main ball is a Storm Fired Up and it usually has a pretty good, gradual hook. Now, it is snapping once it hits the backend. Would adding a counter weight hole help slow the snap? Or would polishing the ball be the way to go? Any other tips?
I am a high-speed, high-rev bowler and have had very little success with changing that approach...
Thanks!

I just wanted to say hello and Welcome to the site. I might think that a different line or step pattern might help. Do you have a video of your bowling by any chance?

rmndlws
09-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I do not have a video yet but I will get one tomorrow night.
Thanks again!

The KingPin
09-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I do not have a video yet but I will get one tomorrow night.
Thanks again!

Sounds great. That way some of the seasoned pros can look at what they think is going on with your bowling game.

bowlr721
09-19-2008, 11:31 AM
personally i feel that a good polish should tone the ball down on what seems like a shorter pattern let me know if you have any more questions

onefrombills
09-19-2008, 01:59 PM
welcome to the site and if there is anything that we can do for you please let us know

Baroncad
09-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I just wanted to say hello and Welcome to the site. I might think that a different line or step pattern might help. Do you have a video of your bowling by any chance?

I would agree also to this, but would get a few practice games under your belt with this pattern to find your line or approach.

PSBA10
09-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm curious to know what line you are throwing. The answer might be as simple as moving deeper.

TenPin
09-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Imno225 is very anoying, go away with your ads.

kev3inp
09-25-2008, 05:15 PM
I get a sudden taste for spiced pork shoulder and ham in a can, while Vikings sing in the background.

rmndlws
10-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, no video so far. They never seem to turn out...

What I have learned: The house owner was trying to please 80% of the bowlers (leagues just started at this house after about a 5 year lay-off) to keep the interest up. The majority of the bowlers are dumpers/down and in droppers. Now, he realizes that the other 20% cannot bowl on a "create sawdust w/ your ball" dry backend and stay happy. Seriously, I was averaging 18.5 - 19.5 mph with a Storm Fired Up, a Total NV and a U-Turn and they were all too strong. Now, I just switched to my old Savage. Combine that with the owner adding more oil to the pattern and I am back! I had a 676 last night with my Savage and only left one 9 pin and three 10 pins. The rest were splash 7's and diving 4's.

I still would like to figure out a way to make a dry lane set-up work...but for now I have something figured out.

kev3inp
10-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Ah, so he figures he can upset his 80% of bowlers to please "those who really know how to bowl?" That's what I took out of the last post, anyway.

I prefer to bowl down and in, but that's the way I learned to do it BACK IN THE 60's. I'm sorry, but I took offense to your characterization. God gave me a thumb so I use it. Maybe fossils like me should just stop bowling.

And how many times in the last season have I heard "straighter is greater?" Must be why I don't average 220 without practice like everybody else. Good for you.

NEXT.

rmndlws
10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow, you really do not know the other bowlers in my league. Sheesh, back off of the hatred.

kev3inp
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
And you don't know me. Sheesh yourself.

rmndlws
10-01-2008, 05:41 PM
You know, comments like yours are reasons that people don't come back to forums. I was stating how I bowl and the fact that nearly all of the other bowlers in my league are one night a week, I'm only there to drink guys. Go take your "why are you picking on an old guy?" opinion to another thread if you don't like this one.

kev3inp
10-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Ah, so he figures he can upset his 80% of bowlers to please "those who really know how to bowl?" That's what I took out of the last post, anyway.

I prefer to bowl down and in, but that's the way I learned to do it BACK IN THE 60's. I'm sorry, but I took offense to your characterization. God gave me a thumb so I use it. Maybe fossils like me should just stop bowling.

And how many times in the last season have I heard "straighter is greater?" Must be why I don't average 220 without practice like everybody else. Good for you.

NEXT.

Reread, buddy. "I'm sorry, but I took offense to your characterization." I guess no-one can disagree with the mighty you as you're always right. Please forgive me and accept my abject apologies, your freakin' highness. :mad:

Stop the hating? WTF was that? You're not important enough to hate. See you on the tour this fall. Oh, yeah, I won't.