PDA

View Full Version : pin length and top weight

wesley
11-27-2010, 12:27 PM
what pin length and top weight will give me the most hook from a ball. I throw 18-19 mph with a lot of revs and have lot of trouble finding a ball that will get through the heavy oil patterns> wondering how much of a difference this will give me

J Anderson
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
what pin length and top weight will give me the most hook from a ball. I throw 18-19 mph with a lot of revs and have lot of trouble finding a ball that will get through the heavy oil patterns> wondering how much of a difference this will give me

Could you explain exactly what is happening with your ball?

wesley
11-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Sure. I know what i need to do as a bowler, SLOW DOWN, but im inconsistent when i do. My ball just doenst have time to bite and it just keeps sliding down the lane. Im not real familiar with alll the drilling and things like that. I never got shown anything about that stuff.

jimgilmore
11-27-2010, 09:36 PM
try backing up on the approach ?

bowl1820
11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Surprised no one asked, but what ball are you using now? and what is the surface texture? and the layout?

have you tried changing the surface any? if the ball isn't reading the lane early enough, give it some more texture.

wesley
11-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Im throwing a columbia pure physics right now but i have thrown all sorts of balls , all 15lbs and drilled with as much hook as i can get, thats what i tell them to drill it anyway. they all have out of box finish on them, ive never changed them from what they are. i dont understand about PAP and pin placement and all that stuff that i need to know lol and i already stand alomost off the approach as it is. i have a little more back i can stand, i will try that nect time, thanks. When they are oily i have to throw straight up 10 board, or 14 board and it hooks in to the pocket at the end of the lanes, its not that i bowl horrible, i just want to know if there is anything i can do to get more hook on the balls. Thanks for the responses, any help is better than no help

wesley
11-28-2010, 01:55 AM
what would you suggest a good texture be for more grip?

bowl1820
11-28-2010, 09:20 AM
what would you suggest a good texture be for more grip?

The Pure Physics Out of box finish is 800/1000/2000 Abralon. And good oiler.

You could start in steps try using it at 1000 first see how it does, then if you need to drop down to 800. Don't use any polish.

Also try to control your speed.
If your standing at almost the end of the approach (How many steps do you take?), I'll bet your running to the foul line and your steps are getting longer and longer as you get there. Your gaining too much speed and getting off balance because of the long steps. Thats why your inconsistent when you try to slow down.

Move back up on the approach , try to keep your steps more evenly spaced (control your pace/speed), hold the ball a little lower (this will reduce your speed) but swing normally. try playing a little more outside of 10 in the dry, not inside where all the oil is, try reducing rev's some to allow the ball to read the lane and get into a roll.

wesley
11-28-2010, 12:01 PM
ok thanks i will try some of those things next time out. and yes i do catch myself running to the line a lot.

wesley
11-28-2010, 12:07 PM
how much of a difference would going up to a 16lb ball do? would that make the ball roll earlier or would it just slide further down the lane?

J Anderson
11-28-2010, 09:38 PM
how much of a difference would going up to a 16lb ball do? would that make the ball roll earlier or would it just slide further down the lane?

It might slow you down a little bit, and / or keep you from muscling the shot. I think you would do better to take bowl1820's advice on how to throw slower.

WAC4504
12-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Hey guys, there's an article in the Dec. Bowlers Journal Int. talking about balance holes and their effect on hook. So if all else fails Wesley, you can check with your ball driller about a balance hole.