PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another New Ball Question

pedal2themedal
12-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I am somewhat new to bowling and I have decided to upgrade to a new ball, but I have a couple questions.

1. I am looking at a few different balls. They are the Storm Fast, Motive Qz2, Storm Reign, or the Brunswick C System 4.5. All of these except the 4.5 are rated as a medium performance, but the 4.5 is advanced. Does it really matter to a beginner the advancement of the ball? I like the 4.5 the best as I read that it reacts to different lane conditions well, but if I cant throw it that would do no good.

2. I plan on seeking the help of the pro shop- but how do I know what drilling options i should use. I understand rev rate and all, but how do you know what yours is without a good hook ball?

3. I want a ball that has a mean hook, but I also want to be able to bowl with it. Is there another ball that would maybe work better for me as a starter? I don't want to get a true beginners ball just to be limited by it as I only will have enough money for one ball for awhile, besides the spare ball I have now.

oregonbowler
12-03-2010, 01:26 AM
My suggestion is the qz2 its very versital and you can always change the cover to fit what you want the ball to do for you. Consult your pro-shop about drilling options. I only suggest the QZ2 because it is so versital.

Cyrrent Arsenal

Brunswick Fury
Hammer Black Widow Solid
Motiv Recon RX-1
Motiv QZ2
Columbia 300 Ti Messenger Pearl
Storm X-Factor

Stormed1
12-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Being an asymetrical cored ball the 4.5 will be much more sensative to variations in your release. Balls i would recomend are the Roto Grip Dark Star , The Storm Tropical Heat Hybryd, 2 fast or 2 Furious. The reign will be rather flippy on the back end

Richard McCusker
12-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Pedal2theMedal—

I would recommend talking things over with a really good pro shop before deciding which ball to buy and choosing a drilling pattern. Hopefully, they will be able to help you make good decisions, or at least avoid making a bad ones. In order to do that, they'll need to watch you bowl at least five frames and properly evaluate your present abilities. Then, taking your development goals into consideration, they may recommend balls that do not match your initial choices.

It wasn't so long ago that I found myself in the same position you're in. I wanted to step up from my entry level performance ball. The pro shop I went to asked which balls I was interested in and wanted to watch me bowl with my present ball. I bowled three frames. They watched intently. Then, reviewing my initial choices, they asked which ball I really wanted. I chose one, they drilled it, and I fought that ball for the next three months. Of course, I didn't know that I was fighting the ball. I thought my problems had everything to due with me, and to a large extent this was very true. So, while I was indeed fighting the ball month after month, I was also developing into a better bowler.

But I then found myself wanting yet another ball, my third one. ($+$+$!) This time, following advice from better bowlers, I went to a better pro shop. Like you, I had already done some research and picked out four balls of interest—all stronger than the previous two. Just as before, the pro wanted to watch me bowl. But unlike the first "pro", this one was definitely not interested in which balls I wanted.

So I bowl, he watches, we return to his wall of 38 balls, and he says, "I'll sell you any ball you want, but these two are the only ones I can recommend. The balls you've chosen simply don't match your bowling style nor abilities, and therefore can't live up to your expectations. You'll be happy with either this ball or that one." I was disappointed in giving up my dream balls, but I made a choice. The end of my story has yet to be experienced, but so far my lowly 146-avg has jumped to 187, and I am pretty darn happy about not fighting a ball anymore! The one I chose is practically teaching me, believe it or not.

I guess choosing a bowling ball can be like choosing an attractive mate. Sometimes what you think you want turns out to be a big mistake because it's not a good match. Pretty colors and well rounded stats don't mean everything and can be deceptive.

Hopefully, you'll get some good advice from a pro who is more interested in you than in making a quick sale. Talk to other bowlers and ask for recommendations. Discuss your ideas with the available pros in your area. Listen to them and think about what they say . . . and don't say.

90% of getting lucky is being prepared in the first place. You sound like you're already trying to do your part, so just follow through.

R.McCusker

p.s. I'm now rolling a 14# Ebonite Vital Sign. It's one heck of a League Ball and can cut a big hook just fine. It's way underrated and doesn't get much press, but it's sure attracting a lot of attention at my center.

pedal2themedal
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!! I will definitely talk to the local pro shop guy, however I'm not going to buy the ball there as prices are way too high. I was thinking of taking some lessons as well, but we will have to see how money goes. I just ordered a pair of dexter magnums which I think will help my game out a lot over rental shoes as I cant slide in them at all, lol.

Stormed, thank you for the comment as it has ruled the 4.5 out for me. I am afraid it will be way too much ball for me at this point. I need a ball that has a little give to it, and from what you said, I do not think that is it.

Any other recommendations?