PDA

View Full Version : a rules question

kev3inp
12-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Is there a rule governing what a bowler can do with his off hand? Is it illegal to hold a towel or something in the non-bowling hand during a delivery? It came up in our league, and someone said it was illegal, but couldn't reference the rule, and I can't seem to find it, either. Maybe I'm using bad search terms.

bowl1820
12-04-2010, 09:12 AM
To my knowledge there is no rule regarding the non bowling hand.

kev3inp
12-04-2010, 09:15 AM
That's what I thought, but maybe someone knows better. I've been through the rules and can't seem to find anything about it.

bowl1820
12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
The main thing is if its not in the USBC rules or the leagues rules, Then you can do it.

Now if it was dripping something on the approach, that would be different that would be defacing the lanes.

I've seen a lot of bowlers holding towel while bowling and never heard a complaint about it.

what was the complaint about, the argument against it.

Big Dog
12-04-2010, 11:46 AM
No rule for that. As long as it doesnt interfere with other bowlers it is legal.

kev3inp
12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I think it was mostly an attempt to throw the guy that does it off his game. Some other moron insisted it was illegal and wouldn't shut up about it , so the guy left his towel behind on the next game. And promptly threw a 267. But said moron still insists it's illegal, and nobody else has ever heard of it.

andrewlytton
12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Yea I dont think there is a rule against it but not too long ago in my league there was a guy going to the approach with a beer in his hand he didnt spill anything but i think he shouldve still got in trouble but of course he didnt lol

kev3inp
12-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Now that's a steady hand! I could see it as a balance aid, but I'd bet I couldn't do it. I've gone to the line with a full beer, but it was in me already. :)

andrewlytton
12-04-2010, 03:10 PM
worst thing is he cranks the hell out of the ball he has such a violent delivery i have no idea how he didnt spill anything lol