PDA

View Full Version : 3 years off. New Ball Help!

ntf08
12-10-2010, 01:52 PM
When I was 14 years old i was given my first hooking ball. It was a 14 lb columbia 300 scout reactive. By the age of 17 i was bowling around a 185 average, at which point i stopped league play. I am now 20 years old and 10 weeks into my first league in 3 years. I am using the same ball, and drilling and holding around the same average, 185.

I do not know much about ball technology, but am looking for a new ball and have no idea where to go for good information.

When i bowl i start with the outside of my right foot lined up with the 3rd arrow from the right. On release i aim at the 2nd arrow from the right. I throw around 16.5-17.5 mph and do not enjoy throwing a slower ball.

One thing i'm looking for is should i change weight? i read that 14 lb isnt as bad anymore but should i upgrade to a 15lb ? Also, currently i do not always feel like i get a lot of back end drive into the pocket with the scout. I would like a little more.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated :)

thanks!

Stormed1
12-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Without spending a lot of money you can upgrade to the Roto Grip Dark Star or the Storm Topical Heat. Either of these balls will give you a substantial performance increase without laying out a bunch of $$$$$

ntf08
12-11-2010, 04:28 PM
What are any thoughts on the weight? is a 14 too light. is 15 gonna give me a harder pocket hit? is 16 too much? I am an athletic guy so i can handle any weight.

Stormed1
12-12-2010, 12:35 AM
You want to throw the heaviest ball you can comfortably throw as it will help you to not "muscle" your swing and keep it truer. The most common weight used toda is 15lb

The Mayor
12-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I would think moving up to 15 could only be beneficial to you. If you were throwing 14 at 14, then an extra pound now will only help to let your ball react more on the backend. Bill gave some very good suggestions. I personally think the Reign Supreme is the best all around ball on the market right now that will allow you to play on the widest range of oil patterns. Take a look at that one as well.

ntf08
01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
well, i ended up getting the columbia 300 Freeze after a ton of decision making. I got 1 free game with the ball and have used it in 3 nights of league. In those 10 games i have bowled a 210 average. 25 pins over my old ball!!!!! and each week my series climbs into a higher 600!

This is changing everything in such a good way. thanks to everyone's suggestions