PDA

View Full Version : Seeking ball to augment Danger Zone

GoKidd
12-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Greetings, all:
Bowling for about a year now, I've been learning with a Brunswick Danger Zone as my strike ball and an Ebonite Maxim for spares.
I'm a RH stroker, low revs and speed is about 16 mph. League average is 142 with high games in the 200-211 range.
I'd like to try a different ball, perhaps a pearl coverstock on a ball somewhat similar to the Danger Zone, to see if the reaction is more to my liking when the far right side of the lane (7 to 3 boards) starts to dry out.
Is this a logical next choice? Would I then be able to have my Danger Zone resurfaced rougher at some point to make it more of my heavy oil ball?
If that much makes sense, I'm considering something like the Storm Tropical Heat or the Brunswick Damage.
Thanks for any help.

Stormed1
12-12-2010, 12:45 AM
The Damage has a pearl cover and a higher RG value than the Danger Zone so it will be a little longer and more angular on the back . The Tropical Heat Black/Silver (Hybrid) will hook more than your Danger Zone

GoKidd
12-12-2010, 09:00 AM
The Tropical Heat Black/Silver (Hybrid) will hook more than your Danger Zone

Wow! That is surprising to me just based on what I have read. Thank you.

bowl1820
12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
The Tropical Heat Black/Silver (Hybrid) will hook more than your Danger Zone

Wow! That is surprising to me just based on what I have read. Thank you.

Note the Tropical Heat Black/Silver is a "Hybrid" coverstock.

You also have the Tropical Heat Red/Blue and Tropical Heat Orange/Purple which are "Pearls"
they have a lower hook value and more length than the Hybrid.

Also The Hybrid and the Pearls have the "Turbine Core"

Also the Damage is the same coverstock as the Danger Zone (the Powerkoil 18 coverstock) in a pearl version.

Instead of roughing up the zone for use on a oily shot.

Me I think I'd resurface the Zone , throw it on a "Haus machine" or similar (If your proshop has one) on the diamond wheels to make sure its round (since its a older ball). Then take it up to 4000 and then polish it and use it for when the lanes break down. Then get a newer strike ball for when the lanes are fresh/oilier.

GoKidd
12-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Me I think I'd resurface the Zone , throw it on a "Haus machine" or similar (If your proshop has one) on the diamond wheels to make sure its round (since its a older ball). Then take it up to 4000 and then polish it and use it for when the lanes break down. Then get a newer strike ball for when the lanes are fresh/oilier.

I appreciate the ideas, thank you!

Stormed1
12-13-2010, 11:46 PM
The Black/Silver Tropical Heat Hybris uses the Turbine core NOT a modified 3 piece. The plain Tropical line uses the modifiedd 3 piece. ALL the Heats are turbine.

bowl1820
12-14-2010, 07:03 AM
The Black/Silver Tropical Heat Hybris uses the Turbine core NOT a modified 3 piece. The plain Tropical line uses the modifiedd 3 piece. ALL the Heats are turbine.

Right there! Sorry about that, was looking at the wrong one on the sheet.:eek:

GoKidd
12-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks, folks. I talked through several options with my local pro. We decided to try a Tropical Heat (pearl) drilled to have a less aggressive hook -- this will be my ball for second and third games in league or any time my line dries out. I'll maintain the Danger Zone in original finish as my benchmark ball. My current house doesn't seem to ever get oily enough to demand a heavy oil ball, but we'll see. (I'm a one-house wonder at present.)
After I get a feel for how the Tropical Heat reacts I may eventually move to another Storm ball for my benchmark ball.
It's all exciting and new at this point -- lots of fun!

andrewlytton
12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
sounds like you made a good choice tropical heat is a quality piece of equipment good luck sir

GoKidd
12-22-2010, 01:03 PM

I got my Tropical Heat (Red/Blue pearl -- early Christmas present) and LOVE it. But it's not what I was expecting. Yesterday I threw the Heat and my Zone on some really dried-out lanes during free league practice. (Kids are out of school and were bowling on these lanes all day before me, I was told.)
I had to move several boards left to throw the Heat compared to where I threw the Zone. I tested and retested for eight games, so I'm sure it wasn't just inconsistent releases on my part.
I was expecting the opposite to be the case. Yikes!
Will I find the same relative difference between these two balls when I throw both on fresh oil?
I may be lured back to bowling1820's suggested fix, above, using the Heat as my new strike ball and the Danger Zone as my milder, dry lanes ball.
This is all crazy good fun -- at least two practice games around 190 while doing this testing.

GoKidd
02-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Well, since the last posting I got the Danger Zone redrilled to be a stronger ball with the original surface.
It's now some three boards stronger than the Tropical Heat! I am using the Tropical Heat with an 800-grit surface. I can still monkey around with the surfaces on both balls to get maximum spread in my mighty two-ball arsenal -- but it's pretty great!! My local pro shop operator is terrific and super helpful.

GoKidd
06-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Me I think I'd resurface the Zone ... then take it up to 4000 and then polish it and use it for when the lanes break down. Then get a newer strike ball for when the lanes are fresh/oilier.

I know this is resurrecting an ancient post ... but had to let Bowl 1820 know I've done what he originally suggested on the Danger Zone surface. I now use it down the 6-board and it comes in hard at the finish with a lot of good angle. Thanks!!