PDA

View Full Version : My 12 tr old son bowling ...comments and suggestions

jeff
12-14-2010, 06:04 PM
This is a link to a video of my son throwing a few shots last night at the local bowling alley.I think he is throwing 3 different balls.Would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have reguarding what he needs to improve or eliminate to elevate his game.Hes a good little bowler averages 214 and has a sanctioned 300 game and 800 series but at times struggles with consistancy especially speed it appears to me when he slowes the ball down he just doesnt get the "pop " on the release.Im sure it then becomes a timing issue.Hes throwing the ball in the video like he does when he has his best results. Please excuse the lack of editing in the video and the choice(his) of music. Thanks in advanced for any suggestions Jeff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3C4MSuD0n4

The Mayor
12-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi Jeff. The main thing I think he needs to work on is eliminating the head jerk he's got as he's releasing the ball. It's very important to keep your head as still as possible, especially at the point of the release, in order to be accurate. As for anything else, I would just say, let him have fun with it. He's 12. Once he gets stronger he will get that pop on the backend. He's already very successful and throws a very nice ball. Other than the head movement, I wouldn't change a whole lot. Maybe changing the way he practices would be a good idea as well. Working on spares and playing different parts of the lane will be very beneficial in the long run. Being versatile and spare shooting is what makes the best bowlers the best.

DanielMareina
12-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I agree with the head motion. Keeping your head and aim still is a very important. I think the best thing to work on would be his arm speed. He actually lifts his shoulder at the top of the his backswing and then he accelerates forward. That acceleration increases ball speed, but decreases consistency a lot of the time. The revs on the ball come from the acceleration in the follow through. He does that really well already, which is a huge leap on most bowlers. I would say that he is probably the best 12 year old I have ever seen. Really, practice will be the best thing for him, and to not turn it into a chore instead of fun!

jeff
12-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks Whiskey and Daniel for your observations and suggestions.I guess I have been fixated on certain things we have been working on that Ive missed the obvious.Without access to any real coaching in the area we live in, gratious people like youselves who offer another set of eyes is invaluable.I try to keep the bowling fun but my son is highly competitive and strives to get better.We'll work on keeping the head still and the arm from raising in the backswing.A question for you Daniel I noticed in your videos that your follow thru is to the left my son does the same thing any thought to the cause or results instead of just coming straight thru and up?Thanks again Jeff

DanielMareina
12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
The reason that my follow through comes to the left of my face is because my arm takes a figure 8 pattern in my swing. In the past couple years, the coaches have gone from saying that it was wrong, to calling it "a different style". When I pull the ball back, I open my shoulders. By doing that, the ball gets behind my back. When I bring my shoulders back to square, the ball needs to be directed outward, which makes my follow through come back across the body. It helps get the hand farther behind the ball, and in turn allows for more revs. Personally, I have been toning my revs down, and making my figure 8 less defined. Revs help get hook, but consistency is more important in bowling. I hope all of this makes sense!

The Mayor
12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Anytime!

jeff
12-16-2010, 10:34 AM
A quick up date: Went to the bowling alley last night to work on "the head jerk"practiced on eliminating that for about 30 min then he wanted to bowl a few to try it out.HUGE difference he bowled 4 games with 4 different balls throwing 3 different lines.1st game one "head jerk"3-6-10 a ringing 10 and a whiff...255.2nd game 1 ringing 10 279.3rd game 1 stone 9 279.4th game 1 ten again 289!Cant thank you enough for the observations.He was a little dissapointed he thought he should of had 900 the last 3 lol...but overall he was real happy with the improved accuracy. Thanks again Jeff

DanielMareina
12-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I am glad to hear that he is doing so well! He obviously is quite gifted. I wish him the best of luck in the future!

The Mayor
12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
That is great! He's got one heck of a future ahead of him!