PDA

View Full Version : mental game

tracy
12-15-2010, 02:51 PM
are there any internet sites about the mental aspects of the game of bowling?

The Mayor
12-15-2010, 04:41 PM
There are quite a few articles on bowlingball.com's BowlVersity section regarding the mental game. Also, check out the book by Dr. Dean Hinitz, "Focuses For Bowling". This has become the book for people wanting to work on their mental game.

Mellen
12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
MotivGirl here on the boards has a few posts about the subject as well.

bowl1820
12-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Take a look at the articles here on Joe Slowinski's site

Mental Game Info (http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=28&Itemid=48)

richc
12-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Good tips on the mental game from a variety of sources. One thing is certain, if any bowler wishing to learn about mental game aspects of the sport, it will not hurt taking a lesson from a bowling professional who has some first hand experience at the top levels of the game. Couple the insight which may be gained from working with a professional along with various articles and books as suggested by comments provided here on Bowling Boards, a bowler could pick up valuable information.

Most mental game tips, even by PHD's, are all common sense related concepts. If anyone would spend some time reflecting on bowling and on their own known mental strengths and personal powers, it might be surprising how much is already known?

tracy
12-19-2010, 08:52 AM
bowler1820,thanks for the articles by joe slowinski ( i find and found them very informative). i have been bowling a long time and fell into some not so good habits along the way and some of the article jogged my memory as to what i should be and should not be doing. it seems the older i get, the more of a student of the game i become.

tracy
12-19-2010, 09:02 AM
raising your strike level by joe slowinski... reading that article, i am not to clear on where to stand. at the 2 lanes that i bowl, i normally stand on the 20th board and play over the 10th and make adjustments accordingly(right or left). he talks about (say for instance) using the 4th board at 35', would i have to move over around 5 boards to my right and play the 4th or would i still stand on the 20th and target the 4th? i am assuming that i have to move to the right or the left of the 20th depending on the length of the oil?

J Anderson
12-19-2010, 09:06 PM
raising your strike level by joe slowinski... reading that article, i am not to clear on where to stand. at the 2 lanes that i bowl, i normally stand on the 20th board and play over the 10th and make adjustments accordingly(right or left). he talks about (say for instance) using the 4th board at 35', would i have to move over around 5 boards to my right and play the 4th or would i still stand on the 20th and target the 4th? i am assuming that i have to move to the right or the left of the 20th depending on the length of the oil?

I believe that he is saying that, if the oil pattern is 35' long, your ball should exit the oil on the 4th board. This is regardless of whether you're a straight player laying the ball down on four or a big hook player sending it out to the gutter.
I would guess that the lanes where you bowl have a 40' pattern (the typical house shot). If so the ball should be on the 9th board at 40' you may already be in the right spot if your ball is crossing the foul line a bit left of ten and going right smack over the second arrow. this would put it approximately on 9 40' down lane.