PDA

View Full Version : Lane Conditions...

ishot811
12-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I've been the league secretary of our Tuesday night league (family mixed with avgs from 95-220+, 160 bowlers) now for 3 years. Since taking over I have worked very closely with the house management to ensure that our league was given a fair shot at scoring each week. Management has changed 3 times but the current has been here for just over 1 year. This manager is somebody that I've known for at least 10 years, is an experienced 185+ avg bowler, but hasn't bowled league in a couple years. Towards the end of the summer season the lanes were noticably different. Well, after some further investigation, it was found out that the oil machine was not putting any oil outside of the 7 board. After convincing the head mechanic it was a machine issue it was fixed and we started winter league with a decent THS. After about 4 weeks of league it was noted that the house received a 'new' oil machine...some all yellow, old looking machine. Rumor had it that it was used at a tournament in northern virginia and then given to us. Well, first two weeks of the new machine was like having 60 units, gutter to gutter, to 50 feet. More discussions with management, 1 week of a playable THS, then nothing outside 7 again; proven by walking lanes after league with the manager. This week we had oil on the outside but the mids were so juiced and long that only straight bowlers were able to shoot average. It's also noted that the person that sets up the oil machine is not the same person that runs it...the one that sets it up is a 'regional' maintenance supervisor, that sets up three houses oil machines in our area. I bowl in another of his houses and the shot is never anything like this.

I get multiple compaints from my league members and pass them on to the manager and try to come up with solutions, but if they're not the ones setting up the oil machine, who should I be talking to? The one that sets up the machines doesn't frequent this house except for large issues. What recourse, in anybody's opinion, would our league have?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Mellen
12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
John, knowing that you bowl in an AMF house, have you tried to contact anyone at a higher level? Sometimes the threat of loosing a large league will get results.

Big Dog
12-23-2010, 10:18 PM
I would suggest contacting with the manager,the district manager. A solid suggestion would be to use the USBC Red White and Blue patterns, which they can download for free. It is good that you are working with the lane manager. A spirit of cooperation will get a better result. One thing though, in my opinion, the person dressing the lanes should also be trained to set the machine. The more he knows, the more can be done. Good luck.