PDA

View Full Version : i am 16 and weak....

tylersheehy
12-27-2010, 09:49 PM
i have a 13lb hammer anger raw hammer and 14lb hammer black widow venom and i JUST got a 15lb roto grip cell pearl used. i love the cell it curves more than any of my balls but i bowled 12 games and i am beat. i usually do 40 with my lighter balls. i dont have enough wrist strength to keep my wrists bent till the release, when i come down my wrists turn to noodles no mater how fast or slow my arm moves. and when i do release i find myself being flung to the right to get as much spin on the ball as possible and i still only get about 175 revs(i usually get 250 with my 13 and 14lb)
do you know any at home worhouts i can doo to build up wrist strength and balance so i dont have to move right to get curve on the ball. i appreciate ANY FEEDBACK AT ALL(except if you tell me to jack off,i am being seriousn and dont appreciate smartass comments)

mikejones
12-31-2010, 02:40 PM
One great exercise to try out is to get a gallon of water and do wrist curls. This will help to build the strength in your wrist and forearm. One great thing to practice is to hold the weight of the ball in your non bowling hand until your push away. This will help your wrist last a bit longer as well. Moving up in weight always takes some getting used to. Just give it time and the ball will feel lighter as you get used to it.

Paralipsis
01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I bowl with 14 pound equipment except one ball which is a 15. Three work outs you can do:

-Push ups for upper body strength
-Wrist curls for wrist strength
-Tennis ball...squeeze a tennis ball over and over or a stress ball...that'll build up wrist strength as well.

Curling your bowling balls work too for arm strength. :D

nathan
02-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Don't forget about leg strength. Balance can be affected a lot by leg strength. I started using a knee brace to help with pain for a while, but I discovered it also helped with balance because it effectively strengthened my sliding knee.

I curl a 15lb dumbbell and sometimes my ball (14lb) a few times a week and that has helped wrist strength a lot. I sit and work on a computer all day, so my legs don't get as much exercise as I'd like.

striker12
02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
ok i see what you mean i use too have the same problem and i did what most of these guys sead to do wrist curles are good but they do hurt alot soo do it after your done leauge for 2 days only then rest but then another thing that i did to inprove my wrist is 1 pratice it alot and 2 i did planks and then every 10 seconds use your wriss and push your body up and hold for 5 seconds but remember to keep your wrists together it give you more of a challenge

Grimthrow
02-09-2012, 02:21 AM
You bowled 12 games in a row and you are beat? I would be too. What amount of games are most of you playing in a day? Am I reading this right?

gergy22
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I am 6 ft and 175 lbs, athletic build and been bowling most of my life. I went down to 14lb from 15 about 3 years ago. I bowled a tournament last weekend and 3 or 4 people commented on how hard my ball hits the pins and they were shocked to hear I threw 14. My father is 6'4 and 230lbs and went down to 14. He is bowling at the highest level he has since he was in his 20s when he was on tour. With 14, you will increase speed and rev rate (in the majority of people) and have more control of the ball in your swing. I love the 14lb and will never go back. That is a shot of me throwing 14 from a couple weeks ago on a sport shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KTSzl8Z-I4 Moving up too early in weight will cause armswing, wrist and shoulder problems. As well as most likely a deterioration in your form. Don't move up to quick, stay with something comfortable.
Hope that helps

Grimthrow
02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
^^ You totally left that guy hanging at the end. Gratz on the perfect though! :D

The Mayor
02-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Wow Ben, great form and smooth release! Very impressed!

striker12
02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
nice job ben i use to throw a 14 lb ball but it was too light for me i was throwing it down and it was not catching at all so i went up to a 15 and i got abit of controll with it but not alot but im still working on ym controll too soo but with the 15lb ball my speed is slower and i got perfect rev rate and the ball know catches going down the lane i do still have a 14 lb ball for when the lanes burn out or are just plain dry

gergy22
02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys, more trying to show that a 14 can hit just fine, I thought previous to changing that it was going to hit like a pink 6lb ball, (obviously knew it wouldn't but kind of had those nightmares of 8-10s and plack 7-10s dancing in my head. BTW, that was my team captain I hung out there and I got him, looks terrible in the vid though. HAHA

striker12
02-12-2012, 05:18 PM
hey not a problem jsut 1 thing to remember if you thorw a 14-15-or 16 lb ball the ball with smash throw the pins and balls thats are 13lbs and lighter will bounce unless u got enouph power and speed on it to make it move right threw the pins but its hard to do cause then a ball wont mvoe in properly itwill morely go streght but gl and hope you do good with a 14lb ball and 15lb ball but remember dont switch between them too often cause u will hurt your arm alot

x-mantwohand
03-05-2012, 12:49 AM
i am 14 average 170 with my taboo pearl and track the rising bowling ball, i love both of my balls but sometimes don't hook enough, i saved all of my money for the taboo ball and the ball was perfect at first,bowl my first 300, but then it went down hill from there i have no type of backend so now i get ugly washout and so what ball should i get now because my taboo and the rising is died and to Tyler, go to a local pro shop and buy a wrist device so you can get your wrist staight and get lets of more revs

J Anderson
03-05-2012, 08:53 AM
i am 14 average 170 with my taboo pearl and track the rising bowling ball, i love both of my balls but sometimes don't hook enough, i saved all of my money for the taboo ball and the ball was perfect at first,bowl my first 300, but then it went down hill from there i have no type of backend so now i get ugly washout and so what ball should i get now because my taboo and the rising is died and to Tyler, go to a local pro shop and buy a wrist device so you can get your wrist staight and get lets of more revs

Have you tried any of the methods described in other posts to remove the oil that has accumulated in your ball? That should be the first step before saying that you need a new ball.

striker12
03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
x-mantwohand i did the same thign when i got ym freeze for the first 2-3 weeks i was doing great but after that i have gone down hill too but the thing is its the lane condtion they are never the same you have to adjust to the right know im playing on water in the oil soo im having to move over the right gutter and throw it right at the pocket cause mymball is not rolling out at the end like noone in are leaugeis but if you need any help with 2 hand bowling i cna help you cause my borhters a 2 handed bowling and he can bowl any line.

jut tell me anything u would like to know about a ball moving tell me layout better take a picture of it and show everyone here and i can find u a perfect line to play and remember to tell what type of oil condtion you play on like medium heavy dry

MFein
03-13-2012, 05:14 AM
People like to relate to bowling as a very nonphysical and easy sport when it's not. Try to get into a gym or something along the lines that involves fitness / strength training. Being fit is a huge advantage for bowling and being able to stay in 110% mode gets very tiring after a while. Tournaments that involve multiple shifts and games wear you out after a while. Practice more and develop some work outs to help you get stronger and more "relaxed" when bowling. Power is a plus in the sport, but consistency is the key. Don't think that having a lot of rotation will make you a better bowler. It will just at times help with pin carry, but will result in more nasty looking splits. Also, being versatile with the game helps a lot and that also comes into play with fitness and strength. Find a coach nearby as well and seek some advice. It's always a wonderful thing to have when someone is demonstrating to you certain exercises that could further improve your game.

ztbowler15
08-19-2012, 01:14 AM
in my opinion that is just too many games... you should never exceed 10 games in a single practice session. anything more than that and you could hurt yourself, and bowling 40 games in 1 day is simply un-heard of. so i dont know whats going on there. the strength will come the more you bowl, just be patient, im 16 too and i throw the same weight. i had to bowl 26 games in a tournament before so i know the "noodle feeling" that your talking about, are you in any leagues? do you have a bowling coach? have you competed in any major tournaments/events? and do you have any video's of your bowling?

billf
08-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Ha ha. I have bowled 40 games a day or more many times. I know, I'm a bit twisted. Practice is never less than 10 games. I usually practice by myself between coaching appointments and can get all 10 games in in under an hour. I'm 43, 6' tall and 210lbs with a physical day job.

billf
08-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Another exercise: fill a bucket with rice or sand. The rice is cleaner. Put your hand in there and move your hand around and clench your fist too. I read about this as a kid. Pitchers did it to improve wrist and forearm strength to improve their curve balls.

striker12
08-19-2012, 02:35 PM
bill i have done that before helps but it never helped me do my curve ball still cant do one but i got a crazy screwball no clue how i learned i was just able to do it i cna do a screwball is hard ball and fast pitch but noone likes me when i do it cause sometimes it over curves and hits the batter (in you now where)

serial bowl
08-19-2012, 05:00 PM
There is an exercise that works wonders for your entire upper body. I used to do this all the time when I was racing moto-x. Tie a shoulder height length of rope around the center of a dumb bell handle(or something similar), and tie the other end to a five pound weight(approximate). Now hold the bar straight out in front of you and rotate(twist) the bar until the weight reaches the bar, and then unwind, lowering the weight to the floor.
Do this often, and you will have Popeye forearms in no time!

striker12
08-19-2012, 05:05 PM
yeah serial it works better with one of those strechy bands cause then u got more to turn and it will make it abit harder but use it on a 10lb dumbell thats a challange 5lb dumbells are easy untill your arms are tied of being out into of you.

serial bowl
08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
That is why you use a lighter weight with more reps, it builds endurance.

striker12
08-19-2012, 07:23 PM
yeah you dont want to do many reps cause the mor reps u do then u ahve to do 3 sets of it where if u use a heavyer wait u cna just do 1 super set witch is alot of reps.

serial bowl
08-19-2012, 07:50 PM
You will figure it out.

Stamps
08-20-2012, 03:30 PM
One great exercise to try out is to get a gallon of water and do wrist curls. This will help to build the strength in your wrist and forearm. One great thing to practice is to hold the weight of the ball in your non bowling hand until your push away. This will help your wrist last a bit longer as well. Moving up in weight always takes some getting used to. Just give it time and the ball will feel lighter as you get used to it.

This is great idea! I have the same problem as tylersheehy. I'm going to try this now. Thanks for the tip.

snugbucco
08-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Tomorrow is sunday! :) grab the paper when your dad and mom are done with it. open a page all the way and place your hand in the middle and crinkle the paper to a whad in your bowling hand. Trust me this is a big work out, do it several times and give it a final squeeze when you have it in your fist.

I picked this tip up for forearms at the gym a long time ago its killer!

and by the way the forearm is made of fast twitch muscles, make it stronger by lots and lots of reps heavy weight can cause problems.

oh and farmer walks are pretty good. you just grab a moderate dumbbell weight and walk around a track, that's if you have one around you, you could use.