PDA

View Full Version : Beginner with new ball and falling score

jdub36
01-16-2011, 11:00 PM
hey guys i am new to the board and brand new to bowling. My wife and i started bowling and decided that we enjoyed it so we decided to buy shoes which led to buying balls. I really wanted a ball because i am a big guy with smaller hands so the only house ball i could get to fit usually weighed 12 pounds. So we both went and got fitted for balls and after bowling about 10 games with our new gear our scores went from about 125 with house balls to 60 for her and 80 for me. I dont know enough about it to know what i am doing wrong so i will tell you what little i do know. I know that my natural bowling motion makes the ball rotate clockwise (im right handed). My new ball is a brunswick Slingshot so i have tried to learn to move all the way to the right and start trying to hook the ball, boy has that been ugly. If i move back to the middle and throw with my natural movement the ball with go dead straight which leaves me a bunch of nasty spares. I have been used to bowling house balls where i had to really squeeze my fingers to hold onto to the ball so part of me feels like i might not be trusting the fit of my new ball. I know there is not much advice you can give me and my wife since you cant watch us bowl but our new equipment is sucking the fun out of our new sport and i dont know what to do or where to go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jw

ffemtreed
01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Go to youtube and search for some bowling basic videos. I think storm has some on their website as well.

If your new, I wouldn't worry about score just yet. Work on getting a proper form.

The Mayor
01-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Don't be discouraged. Almost every bowler struggles with a ball that actually fits their hand for the first time. Learning to release the thumb and not squeeze is something that takes practice. Don't ask to have the holes opened up a ton, because in the long run, you're just going back to that house ball that doesn't fit your hand. If you learn to release the ball properly with a ball that fits your hand, your game will improve tremendously.

WAC4504
01-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey JW, don't feel bad at all, 'cause I remember those high games of 80 very well. I was lucky though and had a friend that took lessons and shared the knowledge with me ( the best he could ). Then he convinced me to take lessons, and it opened up a whole new world to me. So my advise is, if you can take lessons, do so. For me I waited about 1 - 1 1/2 years before taking lessons and the worst part was unlearning bad habits to make room for the right way. Friendly advise is nice if they know what they're doing, but nothing beats a good coach. By the way, I'v only been bowling about 3 years now, so hang in there, 'cause it gets better.

jdub36
01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. The pro that did the fitting on the balls for us called me last week and i told him we were struggling so he invited back in to take a look at what we were doing. It is a lot to take in when you go from grabbing a house ball and trying to throw it straight down the middle to having your own ball and trying to learn how to hook it. We have been out with our friends and have taken a pretty good ribbing since we have been getting our buts kicked and they are all renting shoes and using house balls. I think it is time for just me and her to hit the lanes and work on mechanics instead of worrying about score.

I will report back after we meet with the pro again.

thanks again for all the help,

jw

WAC4504
01-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Just remember that "He who laughs last laughs best" and I assure you will be laughing the hardest. If you really want to blow your friends away take lessons. Have fun, and just remember it takes time to learn anything new.