PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything you do not like about bowling?

The KingPin
09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Just curious if you have any dislikes about the game of bowling and what would you do to change the game?

onefrombills
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
HUMMMMMMMM??????

Splits
Gutter Balls
Hitting my ankle
Droping the ball
NOT STRIKING

Did I miss any ?

PSBA10
09-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Beginners who know everything about etiquette, or so they think. I love seeing new people enjoying the sport. Please be courteous so that I can also enjoy it.

kev3inp
09-28-2008, 05:10 PM
The price.
The higher proportion of jerks that seem to populate the centers.
The USBC. (I have no use for politics during my recreation, and just what am I getting for my money??)
The anti-lefty prejudice.
Centers that only want open bowlers because then they don't have to be clean or have working equipment. (See Schumacker)
Sticky approaches.
Loud, obnoxious music while I'm bowling.
Cold food and warm beer. (See Schumacker)
Super oily lanes one week and a desert the next. Then, tell me it's my imagination, the lanes have been done the same way.
Clueless front desk personnel.
Filthy restrooms. (See Schumacker)
Broken air conditioning. (See Schumaker)

Iceman
09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
The biggest thing about today's game is the typical house shot. This gives everyone - who does not know the game, the chance to average 210 with little or no effort.

Even while most people don't understand the house shot (tree pattern) - they still complain about carry or one evening the house changes the shot. Now understand this - I bowl at 3 different places and know the houses well - each of them tell me the same thing - why would the house change the shot in response of hearing more complaining.

Each house tries to setup the shot better than another one to "attract" bowlers from other houses. We have houses in Cincinnati (ie Ringo Lanes and Northwest Lanes) Both houses tend to allow play to average for me about 215 - 220. At Mason Lanes (where I bowl twice a week - I carry 205) At Princeton lanes, the shot doesn't allow me to carry 10's - doesn't mean I throw the ball the exact same either - but doesn't give me the room as other houses do.:confused: I still don't complain about the shots or games. I know bad shots are caused by me.

Anyway - on top of the typical house shot - the USBC has lessened their involvment in the game at most houses, they don't inspect lanes after a 300 or 800 is shot, measure and weigh the ball - each house has 24 hours to call in the award and it passes. Along with this (which I agree) they have made awards lifetime awards - until they allow houses to setup patterns or even shots (same amount of oil on each board) and make the sport more of a sport - we will continue to see thousands of 300 games shot each year, and see even less support from the USBC (hence they continue to raise the sanction fees). :mad:

My take on all this - If we has bowlers pull away from the USBC and bowl at a house, spend the $20 (sanction) to the house and allow that to go into price money for each league - allow the bowler and house to decide on the award - that should directly hit the USBC where it hurts.

I know some houses are setting up Sports patterns during summer months, but most bowlers don't bowl in summer. This puts the efforts of a bowler on accuracy, timing and follow through instead of standing left and chicken winging outside 10 board and jumping out of their shoes - There is no reason a bowler who wants to bowl can't learn to be accurate, do the basics correctly,and just bowl.

Back in the days, I remember when my dad bowled - they didn't have all this equipment - nor did they have Palm trees on the PBA tour either (Slap in their face there). They rolled plastic balls until the White Dot was out - but they still relied on accuracy more then anything. In the newspaper it was great to get up on Sundays and see scores posted in there 600 or better. Now, there is nothing in the newspaper about bowling because everyone does it now. I only recall seeing one thing in the newspaper or radio about bowling in this area within the last 5 years. It was when a guy from Fairfield, OH shot a 900 series. :eek:

The flip side to this - all bowling centers are treated as entertainment now, it's a business to make money - they adjust to the bowler - I have saw many changes - most houses don't even give away house prizes for honor scores anymore, it cost to much.

Something has to give here - this sport is not a sport anymore and I can only point out USBC needs to stand up and make this sport what it was. We don't see everyone making it in Baseball or Football, so why can everyone bowl with little effort.

The Pro tour is better to watch due to lane play and experience of each bowler, the area I hate there is the lights, outside with Palm Tree's, it's almost like an amusement park - skill shooting with chairs and flying eagle's? What the hell is all this for? Simply entertainment is the PBA. Get real and keep it a skilled sport !!!

Baroncad
09-30-2008, 05:20 PM
HUMMMMMMMM??????

Splits
Gutter Balls
Hitting my ankle
Droping the ball
NOT STRIKING

Did I miss any ?

Nope, you pretty much covered it. ;)

zman
09-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Come on tell us how you really feel.lol:)
Way back when, I bowled couples league on Saturday's and one week I made headlines in the Monday Sports section with a 603 series. Yeah the game has changed.

The biggest thing about today's game is the typical house shot. This gives everyone - who does not know the game, the chance to average 210 with little or no effort.

Even while most people don't understand the house shot (tree pattern) - they still complain about carry or one evening the house changes the shot. Now understand this - I bowl at 3 different places and know the houses well - each of them tell me the same thing - why would the house change the shot in response of hearing more complaining.

Each house tries to setup the shot better than another one to "attract" bowlers from other houses. We have houses in Cincinnati (ie Ringo Lanes and Northwest Lanes) Both houses tend to allow play to average for me about 215 - 220. At Mason Lanes (where I bowl twice a week - I carry 205) At Princeton lanes, the shot doesn't allow me to carry 10's - doesn't mean I throw the ball the exact same either - but doesn't give me the room as other houses do.:confused: I still don't complain about the shots or games. I know bad shots are caused by me.

Anyway - on top of the typical house shot - the USBC has lessened their involvment in the game at most houses, they don't inspect lanes after a 300 or 800 is shot, measure and weigh the ball - each house has 24 hours to call in the award and it passes. Along with this (which I agree) they have made awards lifetime awards - until they allow houses to setup patterns or even shots (same amount of oil on each board) and make the sport more of a sport - we will continue to see thousands of 300 games shot each year, and see even less support from the USBC (hence they continue to raise the sanction fees). :mad:

My take on all this - If we has bowlers pull away from the USBC and bowl at a house, spend the $20 (sanction) to the house and allow that to go into price money for each league - allow the bowler and house to decide on the award - that should directly hit the USBC where it hurts.

I know some houses are setting up Sports patterns during summer months, but most bowlers don't bowl in summer. This puts the efforts of a bowler on accuracy, timing and follow through instead of standing left and chicken winging outside 10 board and jumping out of their shoes - There is no reason a bowler who wants to bowl can't learn to be accurate, do the basics correctly,and just bowl.

Back in the days, I remember when my dad bowled - they didn't have all this equipment - nor did they have Palm trees on the PBA tour either (Slap in their face there). They rolled plastic balls until the White Dot was out - but they still relied on accuracy more then anything. In the newspaper it was great to get up on Sundays and see scores posted in there 600 or better. Now, there is nothing in the newspaper about bowling because everyone does it now. I only recall seeing one thing in the newspaper or radio about bowling in this area within the last 5 years. It was when a guy from Fairfield, OH shot a 900 series. :eek:

The flip side to this - all bowling centers are treated as entertainment now, it's a business to make money - they adjust to the bowler - I have saw many changes - most houses don't even give away house prizes for honor scores anymore, it cost to much.

Something has to give here - this sport is not a sport anymore and I can only point out USBC needs to stand up and make this sport what it was. We don't see everyone making it in Baseball or Football, so why can everyone bowl with little effort.

The Pro tour is better to watch due to lane play and experience of each bowler, the area I hate there is the lights, outside with Palm Tree's, it's almost like an amusement park - skill shooting with chairs and flying eagle's? What the hell is all this for? Simply entertainment is the PBA. Get real and keep it a skilled sport !!!

Beancounter
09-30-2008, 08:52 PM
HUMMMMMMMM??????

Splits
Gutter Balls
Hitting my ankle
Droping the ball
NOT STRIKING

Did I miss any ?

Blisters
Calluses
Thumb sticking (NOT dropping the ball!)
Not finding your mark

Other than that - It's all good! :)

Trex
07-16-2011, 04:46 AM
I would do away with handicap bowling!! :D

except for those who actually have a handicap such as a health related issue.

J Anderson
07-17-2011, 08:42 AM
The anti-lefty prejudice

The anti-ambidextrous prejudice written into the USBC rules.

The Mayor
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
The anti-ambidextrous prejudice written into the USBC rules.

Agreed! It makes no sense, whatsoever.

Trex
07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Agreed! It makes no sense, whatsoever.

I totally agree!!

CMoore
07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I also agree!

Trex
07-23-2011, 03:21 PM
When the AC don't work good enough!! or they simply refuse to get the temp to proper temp because of people who have thin skin or thin blood and complain that they are cold when it is 75 degrees.....LOL

Trex
07-24-2011, 10:48 PM
I saw this and had to laugh. I'm the Patrick Ewing of bowling; if the AC's not cold enough I have to towel off at the approach so I don't drip on it. Mitchum works great, but I can't paint it everywhere. There are a lot of sweaty bowling pics on my facebook page.

I had to buy my own battery powered fan to take bowling at this one center, it's the only way I can keep from sweating so bad that I too would have that problem....lol