PDA

View Full Version : Dorin-Ballard still searching for first U.S. Women's Open title

onefrombills
09-26-2008, 12:12 AM
By Matt Cannizzaro
USBC Communications

U.S. Women's Open homepage

Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of North Richland Hills, Texas, has a resume that any bowler would be jealous of, but there is one title that has eluded her throughout her hall-of-fame career.

The USBC Hall of Famer and High School spokesperson won 20 professional titles, including the 2001 USBC Queens, and added a win in the Professional Bowlers Association Women's Series last fall. But despite a lifetime of success on the lanes, Dorin-Ballard has never claimed the top spot at the U.S. Women's Open, a USBC event.

There have been a few close calls over the years for Dorin-Ballard, who finished second in the event in 2003 and reached the semifinals last year, but she's had no luck finding the winner's circle.

This year, the 44-year-old right-hander dominated the field through 32 games of qualifying and earned a spot among the 16 bowlers who reached the televised portion of the event. On Sunday, she will return to TV on the fourth of five U.S. Women's Open telecasts. This week's show will air on ESPN at 2 p.m. EDT.

"If you ask any bowler, this is probably one of the main titles they all would love to have, and anyone would be proud to have a title with United States in the name," Dorin-Ballard said. "This is an event I've never been fortunate enough to win, and my husband reminds me all the time that he has two U.S. Open titles. He always says you haven't had a career until you've won the U.S. Open, so hopefully I'll get that chance soon."

On Sunday's show, Dorin-Ballard and the three other players will be looking to join Kim Terrell-Kearney of Dover, Del., Malaysian star Shalin Zulkifli and lone left-hander Trisha Reid of Columbus, Ohio, who already earned their spots on the final show scheduled for Oct. 5.

Dorin-Ballard will take on Adrienne Miller of Albuquerque, N.M., the niece of USBC Hall of Famer and two-time U.S. Women's Open champion Dana Miller-Mackie, while international star Clara Guerrero of Colombia faces former Team USA member Amanda Burgoyne of Greenfield, Wis.

Sunday's show also will include the following:

* The broadcast trio of former PWBA standout Cathy Dorin-Lizzi and PBA Hall of Famers Nelson Burton Jr. and Marshall Holman offering their expertise and analysis. Burton and Holman again will use C.A.T.S (Computer Aided Tracking System) to analyze information such as ball speed, ball angles and what boards the balls are rolling over.

* In addition to C.A.T.S., Stromotion will be used to visually compare how each player attacks the Cheetah, the PBA Experience lane condition being used for the televised portion of the U.S. Women's Open.

* USBC President Jeff Bojé discusses the state of USBC and the move of its headquarters from Greendale, Wis., to Arlington, Texas. The organization's move will land it on the new International Bowling Campus, which will include USBC, the Bowling Proprietors' Association of America and the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame.

The U.S. Women's Open started with more than 180 competitors, who battled through 32 grueling games of qualifying on four PBA Experience lane conditions Aug. 1-4 at Brunswick Zone XL in Romeoville, Ill., before the top 16 advanced to the single-elimination bracket that will be featured on ESPN.

The field of 16 of the most talented women bowlers in the world was divided into four sub-brackets, and on each of the first four telecasts, four players will face off for a spot in the finals, which airs on Oct. 5.

The field includes Team USA members, former professional stars, international standouts, collegiate champions and top amateurs, and the event concludes with a climatic title match that makes bowling history.

kev3inp
09-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, if you follow it at all you know who came out on top, but I won't be the spoiler for everybody else. I'll just say the finals were "historic."