PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Brunswick Black Diamond

LOL_slamball
02-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi,
Im pretty new to bowling, I maybe go once a month or so. Anyways I went last night and usually use house balls, but the problem for me is that they are drilled very close together (thumb and fingers) and really deep for my fingers, so when I bowl it feels like my knuckles are being pulled on hard.
Last night I found a "brunswick black diamond" and the holes were really far apart and only my fingertips fit it, I threw it once, decided I was scared I would throw it backwards, and put it down. But my fingers were just hurting too much to use the house balls so I gave this one a better try, rolled a few strikes in the last half of the game I used it.
The first full game I started off with 6 strikes and finished the game with 8 and a score of 231 (by far my best ever, First time over 200 and usually between 125-145) had a couple more games, gave the security guy $20 to let me walk out with it. he said balls left there are "flawed" and that I wouldnt want it and also nobody would be looking for it(ie the guy whos name is on it)
Well it worked for me last night and $20 seems like a good investment for comftorable bowling (and higher scores).

My question is, I just read up on them and apparently they are like 30 years old? there are no chunks missing, only a bunch of scratches.... what would be "flawed" about it? its obviously been used, but it seems in pretty good shape.

also it seems to be pretty oily, im guessing it hasnt been well looked after, is this a good thing for dry lanes or always bad?

PSBA10
02-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Someone probably cleaned out their basement and donated the balls they didn't use anymore to the bowling center. If you can use it great. I however wouldn't put any money into it. It is 30 year old technology.

Now that you see what a ball that somewhat "fits" your hand can do for you, stop into the local pro shop. You should find some relatively cheap used balls. Have the pro shop measure your hand and drill the ball to fit your hand. It will be a worthwhile investment.

Enjoy the sport.