PDA

View Full Version : Dorin-Ballard locks up last spot in U.S. Women's Open semifinals

onefrombills
09-28-2008, 06:24 PM
By Lucas Wiseman
USBC Communications

U.S. Women's Open homepage

Top seed Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of North Richland Hills, Texas, earned the final spot in the semifinals of the 2008 U.S. Women's Open, a United States Bowling Congress event.

Dorin-Ballard defeated Clara Guerrero of Colombia, 249-215, and joined Kim Terrell-Kearney of Dover, Del., Shalin Zulkifli of Malaysia and Trisha Reid of Columbus, Ohio, in the semifinals.

Against Guerrero, Dorin-Ballard stepped up in the final frame needing a strike, a nine count and a spare to lock up the match. She buried the first two shots for strikes to advance.

A critical shot for Dorin-Ballard, however, came in the fifth frame when she tripped the 4 pin into the 9 pin for a strike.

"I felt like I had a pretty good look and a shot like that changes the momentum of the match, and I was able to turn that break into a triple," Dorin-Ballard said. "Also, I watched the other quarterfinal matches leading up to mine to see how the lanes were playing, and I really think that helped."

In the Round of 16, Dorin-Ballard built an early lead and easily defeated Adrienne Miller of Albuquerque, N.M., 236-192, while Guerrero also had little trouble in knocking out Amanda Burgoyne of Greenfield, Wis., 256-171.

The conclusion of the U.S. Women's Open telecasts is scheduled to air Sunday, Oct. 5, at 2 p.m. EDT on ESPN. Dorn-Ballard bowls Terrell-Kearney while Zulkifli takes on Reid in the semifinals. The winners will meet for the title.