PDA

View Full Version : New Ball or No?

phattonez
02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I have a Columbia 300 Dr. Jekyll (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/Columbia300/3253/Dr--Jekyll.html) that I bought maybe 5 years ago. I've already had the thumb hole re-drilled as the guy who originally did it made the span way too big. Even after that I still have pain in my ring finger that (thanks to some great advice on this forum) I need to re-drill to fix. I haven't maintained this ball very well so I at least need to get it re-surfaced due to numerous abrasions on the surface. So, should I do that, or should I just get another ball? Would re-drilling again hurt the integrity of the ball so much that I just need to get a new one? Another piece of info, the holes are kind of degrading at the surface, so I would need to get that patched up anyway. What do you think, and if I do need to get a new ball, what can I do to have it last longer than this one?

The Mayor
02-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I'd definitely say it's time for something new. For a bowling ball to last 5 years being used as your primary ball is a very long time. Cleaning your ball after each session, having the coverstock refreshed by sanding to the grit of the box finish every 15 games or so and resurfacing the ball every 60-80 games will keep the ball in use much longer.

phattonez
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I know that resurfacing a ball costs about $20-$30, but wouldn't sanding so often get kind of pricey? Or is that something I can just learn to do myself?

phattonez
02-08-2011, 01:32 PM
And since I'm probably going to need a new ball, what do you recommend? I'm a left-handed bowler with a light hook (I start with the second dot from the left in between my toes and I aim in between the first and the second arrows) and I would like to get more. I'm a fingertip bowling. I'm usually bowling on lanes that are absolutely drenched in oil (the only people that I see get any kind of hook bowl at about 13 mph). So I need something with some bite.

The Mayor
02-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I'd suggest something like the Storm Prodigy or Lane #1 Pink Panther. Something strong but controllable. There are a lot of options, but those are 2 that jump to the front.