02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Ball: MOTIV Primal TV4
Core: Thrust
Previous Balls with Core: TX1, TR2, TZ3
Layout Used: 50x4 3/4x50
Pin Placement: Above fingers by 0.5" and centered
Out of Box: 2000 grit

Observations:

The Primal is the newest ball in the MOTIV line. It uses the proven Thrust core wrapped inside a brand new coverstock that I know will turn some heads. I chose to try the ball on two different sets of conditions. On a THS (typical house shot) which at my center is the USBC Blue pattern, I am able to start out playing an area of 18 to 8 and hit the pocket with insurmountable force. The ball glides cleanly through the heads and midlane and reads the backends aggressively making the shape up off the break point much more angular than any other ball I have from MOTIV, including the SR2 (same layout). To decrease the angularity provided by the layout, all that is needed is a small surface tweek to 1000 grit and it evens the backend reaction a bit.

On the second condition, a freshly run PBA Chameleon pattern I found the Primal to be similar in motion. I was able to play 15-8 with the ball and still have a diffinitive move up off the break point into the pocket. The ball still got down lane very well for me with its box surface and even provided me area left and right of target on the sport oil. That's a difference from the house oil as there was only miss room left on the THS. I like the shape of the ball as it travels down the lane and the strong aggressive read off the break point. MOTIV has created another winner with this ball. This ball is a good fit if you're looking for something between the Cruel and TR2 as far as aggressiveness potential but the hook shape resembles that of the SR2.

David Schroeder
MOTIV Staff
TURBO Staff

bowlers design pro shop
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
MOTIV does it again!!

The combination of the Thrust core and MOTIV's new Vicious Pearl cover will work out very well on most lane conditions for most bowlers. The 2000 Wet Sand cover with power gel polish gives a great look, and handles carry down really well. The company says this ball is not for dry lane conditions, and I must agree, you will need some head oil for this ball to produce the reaction you are looking for. The PRIMAL reminds me of the SR2 with about a 3-4 foot later break, making this ball more angular. MOTIV equipment retains the most energy of all the other equipment I have thrown.
I used a pretty basic 4x4 layout with the pin up, no weight hole, as I do with all first ball drills, allowing me to get a good read on the ball characteristics and then make any drilling choices for ball number 2. Your ball driller will no what layout willl work best for your style of game.
I had the chance to throw it on a PBA Scorpion pattern with box finish and the ball more than performed well. I pulled it out in game 2 and 3 and went 233-237. Our THS is a USBC White #2 pattern on HPL'S, so there is a lot of friction outside and a nice puddle in the middle, the ball rolled great, was predictable and controllable. As with all MOTIV equipment the PRIMAL hits HARD with great carry.

David
Bowlers Design Pro Shop
Motiv Staff
www.motivbowling.com