PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for a spare ball?

The KingPin
10-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Picking up those single pin spares are tough at times, so what do you use to pick up your spares? Do you use a ball just for spares? or do you use your main bowling ball?

Maybe you use your main ball for multiple pin spares, and a plastic ball for single pick-ups?

Let us know what you think is best.

kev3inp
10-04-2008, 04:19 AM
I use a Roto Grip Spare Tire for most spares. I'll use my strike ball if I leave pins in the middle.

Baroncad
10-05-2008, 07:08 AM
I just use a spare ball (White Dot) for the 10 pin, otherwise I just use my strike ball.

onefrombills
10-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I just use a spare ball (White Dot) for the 10 pin, otherwise I just use my strike ball.

Most of the time I do this too

kev3inp
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM

I've been thinking about this in my "spare" time, and I used to only use mine for the 7. Then I started going through a phase where I'd miss the 10 by hooking into the gutter, or misreading how much oil was in the middle and missing on the left of the 10 pin because it didn't hook enough. It took a couple of practice sessions to figure out where to stand and what to target to hit it, but it takes the lane totally out of play. As a plus, the way I see it, it also saves wear and tear on my strike ball. Also, it seemed to be such a waste to drag the ball everywhere with me and only use it for one pin. You can consider it a plus or minus, depending on how accurate you can be, but it goes where you throw it, no guesswork needed. My wife has started using it for most spares, too, and it's helped her a lot.

There's a Rolf Gauger (sp?) article in an old BTM about a spare shooting system with a straight ball that I found very helpful, too, but of course now that I've remembered it I can't find that issue right now. Murphy's law "strikes" again. ;)

ChuckX182
11-18-2008, 02:30 AM
I use my main ball. I don't feel I need a spare ball at this point.

BubbaRay
11-18-2008, 08:38 AM
The only time I use a spare ball is for picking up my 10 pins. I have no other problems with any single or combination of spares. I use either a Hammer Black Widow Clear or my Hammer Razyr for my 10 pins with a sucessw rate of 97% .

ArtVandelay
11-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I throw a Hammer No Mercy for my strike ball, and anything from the middle to the left of the lane. It has quite a bit of bite. For anything to the right of the head pin, I'll normally use my Ebonite 11 pound, unless I need a little extra weight behind the throw, then I'll just straighten out the hammer a little. The Ebonite is an older ball, I don't know what it's called, all the markings wore off long ago. I know it's a urethane, but aside from that.... It was given to me years ago, and I got used to it. I guess it's time to get a new ball, but I'm so used to this one, why bother??? hahaha.

NoTapNorm
11-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Currently using Morich Awesome Finish for 10 pins. Thinking about obtaining a 'plastic' ball for the 10... All other single pins I use my regular ball...

djbigsmooth
11-19-2008, 01:54 PM
my dad trained me to use my main ball to shoot 10 pins, but i was so inconsistant last year, i missed more 10pins last year than i have my whole life. i now throw the XXXL BUZZSAW from lane #1 bowling. modified rico layout, gives me the versatility to shoot 10 pins and, if necessary, when the lanes burn up, throw it as a strike ball. this ball has the same diamond core as the resin models so the "plastic with muscle" will strike.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, LOOK IN THE VIDEO SECTION I WILL POST A VIDEO DEMONSTRATING THIS VERY POINT.

BobT
11-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I use my plastic ball for just about everything now. I'll use my strike ball for pins left in the middle. Since using it more, especially for corner pins i may only miss one out of a 100 times.

Iceman
12-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I did use plastic, but within last 2 years, my coach pushed me to use my strongest coverstock to get the 10, starting missing a lot, but after awhile, started getting better flattening the shot. Now, I am usually 9 out 10 on a giving night (which percentage is ok) but I don't worry about the 10 pin leave now, I know I can get it. It does help with my strike ball if dryer shots, as I can flatten with some energy for backend.

I still want to grab plastic, but I am working on getting straighter is greater for all my spares (where applicable) with my hardest resin.

kev3inp
12-19-2008, 05:29 PM
It's definitely doable, but I find it harder to break my wrist to kill the few revs I have than to just throw a ball that goes straight, unless I try and change my angle and rev the hell out of it. The drawback is that on dry lanes I can't use it as a strike ball because it just won't drive, it deflects. I've considered the Lane #1 XXXL but haven't made the commitment to that kind of coin for a mostly spare ball. Hey, whatever works, right? It's not how, it's how many.

ericj
01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm a relatively new bowler. Less than six months. Already have a somewhat embarrassing "300 series" patch.

I have a viz-a--ball that is ostensibly my spare ball, but the guy who's taught me pretty much everything i've ever learned about bowling doesn't carry a spare ball at all - he carries a fairly aggressive hook ball and a very aggressive hook ball. Of course, on dry enough lanes, he can hook my viz-a-ball.

Being right-handed, he taught me to pick up the 10 pin with a hook ball by putting my foot in the left gutter (so to speak) and throwing across the center mark. I don't put enough revs on a ball to do it exactly like that yet, but it seems to work at least as reliably as the viz-a-ball.

It's the 7 pin i have trouble with.

In any case, I've resolved that spares are just too hard to pick up, and I'll be much better off just hitting all strikes . . .

The KingPin
01-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm a relatively new bowler. Less than six months. Already have a somewhat embarrassing "300 series" patch.

I have a viz-a--ball that is ostensibly my spare ball, but the guy who's taught me pretty much everything i've ever learned about bowling doesn't carry a spare ball at all - he carries a fairly aggressive hook ball and a very aggressive hook ball. Of course, on dry enough lanes, he can hook my viz-a-ball.

Being right-handed, he taught me to pick up the 10 pin with a hook ball by putting my foot in the left gutter (so to speak) and throwing across the center mark. I don't put enough revs on a ball to do it exactly like that yet, but it seems to work at least as reliably as the viz-a-ball.

It's the 7 pin i have trouble with.

In any case, I've resolved that spares are just too hard to pick up, and I'll be much better off just hitting all strikes . . .

Hello EricJ

I like your post. I have a plastic ball for spares, but the 7 pin is my poison. I like your theory on just hitting strikes. I need to follow in your footsteps.

Chris

JerseyJim
01-20-2009, 11:22 PM
There's a Rolf Gauger (sp?) article in an old BTM about a spare shooting system with a straight ball that I found very helpful, too, but of course now that I've remembered it I can't find that issue right now. Murphy's law "strikes" again. ;)

It was published in BTM in March, and April of 2005. Rolf later summarized it in the January 2008 issue. I use it with decent success. I think I would be better off buying a hard plastic ball instead of using my Manhattan Urethane from 1983.

Jord_84
01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
I use a crappy little maxim, I think it was my first ball, but I only use it for 10 pins. I use my strike ball for my spares, but I move my span in to decrease hook. I'm not a fan of using too many balls. I bowl on wood lanes, and as fast as the lane conditions change, I like sticking to one ball, since I know how it's going to react.

Iceman
01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello EricJ

I like your post. I have a plastic ball for spares, but the 7 pin is my poison. I like your theory on just hitting strikes. I need to follow in your footsteps.

Chris

No offense here :o - but spares are the name of the game - everyone can strike, when you string 6 in a row and leave 1 duck up there, and miss it; Your giving your game away. Concentrate and focus on the spares, it will greatly improve your avg and ALWAYS keep you in the game. One duck miss against a decent bowler, you'll be chasing them the rest of the game.......

jaws1945
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I use a kill shot flattening my wrist for the 10 pin

DaRoadHawg
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I used my strike ball (#16 Hammer RoadHawg) primarily in the past. I just won a Brunswick TZone ball, drilled it and practice with it for spares. I got used to using my strike ball for 10 pin p/u, but now I'm using the TZone...hope it ups my average. I think it will...

bowl1820
02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
I have a white dot and basically use it for the 6, 9 & 10 pin's and for the 3-10, 9-10 splits. I use my strike ball for most everything else.

kev3inp
02-06-2009, 05:09 PM
No offense here :o - but spares are the name of the game - everyone can strike, when you string 6 in a row and leave 1 duck up there, and miss it; Your giving your game away. Concentrate and focus on the spares, it will greatly improve your avg and ALWAYS keep you in the game. One duck miss against a decent bowler, you'll be chasing them the rest of the game.......

I couldn't have said it better myself. I love going against guys that can't spare. If their carry goes, especially, they're toast. That's why when we play cards the second spare is worth 2 cards. A lot of people don't even reward spares. I think they're more important than strikes. "Strike for show, spare for dough." :D

The KingPin
02-08-2009, 10:03 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself. I love going against guys that can't spare. If their carry goes, especially, they're toast. That's why when we play cards the second spare is worth 2 cards. A lot of people don't even reward spares. I think they're more important than strikes. "Strike for show, spare for dough." :D

Great points. If you cannot be consistent, your game will find troubles. If you have a 5 strike and then open game it hurts.

nickcuban
02-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I use my old "Beast" ball for spares. I find it is really easy to hold the lane or go completely straight.

The Bowling Guru
02-12-2009, 11:51 PM
I actually flatten my strike ball to make my spares. Many people actually wonder how I can wheel the lane with a Cell, and then throw it straight as an arrow to make a 10 pin. I find it easier to pick up spares with my strike ball due to a consistent feel in the thumb. Switching to another ball leaves the potential of hanging up in it, or having it fall off your hand if the fit is slightly different. Just my .02.

dougb
03-15-2009, 04:35 PM
I have a white dot and basically use it for the 6, 9 & 10 pin's and for the 3-10, 9-10 splits. I use my strike ball for most everything else.

I do the exact same thing.

Jord_84
03-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I've switched to using my t-road solid for 10 pins here lately. My plastic ball would work, but the guy that drilled it messed it up and it doesn't feel comfortable throwing it. I'd say my accuracy has tripled since making the switch.
now I'm looking into getting a new spare ball, only I won't go back to the pro shop that drilled the last one.

11 in a row
03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Picking up those single pin spares are tough at times, so what do you use to pick up your spares? Do you use a ball just for spares? or do you use your main bowling ball?

Maybe you use your main ball for multiple pin spares, and a plastic ball for single pick-ups?

my spare ball(s) i use exclusively for the corners is a tiger viz-a-ball and a eyeball viz-a-ball...
i will use my reactive ball for buckets washouts and split.i used to used my primary ball for corners and others spares but not so much now and it has helped me for the most part....

ThongPrincess
03-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Up until a month or so ago I was using a Blue Dot. For some reason I cannot consistently release the ball. I have gone to using the strike ball.

I flatten the wrist, spread the pinkie and first finger, and take the turn out of the release. This takes most of the hook off the ball. I have gotten pretty consistent picking up the left side spares. The right side spares are rarely a problem. I do plan to go back to the Blue Dot, but need to get out and practice shooting 7-pins to build the confidence back up.

My first spare ball was a 16# Dragon. My 2nd spare ball was a 15# Storm Football. I got it along with the Storm PDW ball at a ProAm in Vegas at the Castaways. Then I got the Blue Dot.

bowl1820
03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
I would like to offer another reason for using a spare ball.

It's a way to increase the life of your strike balls. Because it helps in reducing how much oil is absorbed by your strike ball.

11 in a row
03-18-2009, 09:33 PM
I would like to offer another reason for using a spare ball.

It's a way to increase the life of your strike balls. Because it helps in reducing how much oil is absorbed by your strike ball.

yes indeed i keep that in mind as well..

seniorstroker
03-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I use a AMF Orbit Xtreme for 6-10's, 10 pin, splits, & any dry lane conditions..thought about Air Force vis-a-ball, but I don't have room for it right now..

Bowl good

bly7822
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm a right handed bowler amd I throw a hook so the 10 and the 6-10 pins are my nemisis. I'm convinced that every 10 pin in the county I live in has my name on it. My husband finally talked me into getting a plastic ball for my 10 pins. It is a T-Zone and lo & behold, for every ten 10 pins I leave, I've been able to pick up at least 8 or 9 of them with the plastic ball. It has changed my entire attitude about the game and I actually look forward to my league nights. Every time I left a ten pin, I automatically felt defeated 'cause I knew I wasn't going to pick it up, but no more!! My confidence has risen greatly. I'm glad I finally took my husbands advice. Unfortunately it's too late in the season to raise my average significantly this year but I'm now averaging closer to 180-185 and I'm really happy about that. I'm hoping that next season I'll see a significant difference.

maverick_124
03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
im a right handed bowler, i use my strike ball (CELL) that is as tommy says "drilled to snap" and i can get teh 10 pin easily. but now that i got my ball cleaned and i left it in teh sun for a few hours to get the oil out of it that might not happy lol

but the 7 pins is HARD for me to get yet the 10 pin is EASY....why is that??? keep in my i am a RIGHT handed bowler

BowlingChica
04-07-2009, 12:30 AM
I only use a spare ball for the 10 pin, or the 6-10! I use my strike ball for everything else. My spare ball is a Scooby Doo plastic ball.

MH1313
04-07-2009, 11:57 AM
im a right handed bowler, i use my strike ball (CELL) that is as tommy says "drilled to snap" and i can get teh 10 pin easily. but now that i got my ball cleaned and i left it in teh sun for a few hours to get the oil out of it that might not happy lol

but the 7 pins is HARD for me to get yet the 10 pin is EASY....why is that??? keep in my i am a RIGHT handed bowler

maverick,

This has come up before in other threads and to paraphrase, 7 pins can be more difficult for a righty due to the amount of oil and different lane topogrophy we need to cover to cross the lane. A lot of oil and it slides right by, to little oil and it hooks into the gutter.

This thread and this topic is a perfect reason to get a plastic ball that doesn't read the lane like our strike balls. if you go straight at the pin and you know the ball won't hook, then you don't need to worry. The initial trajectory will either do it, or it won't...it takes the lane out of the equation.

Bear in mine that I too struggle with the 7's as a righty...I can take 98% of my 10 pins...its the damn 7's I get worried about...especially since each single pin I miss I have to pay $0.25 to the ciddy...

Graaille
04-13-2009, 11:07 PM
but my LM Hornet does the job for me just fine. Has just enough of a core to give me a little bit of extra room if I pull it right.

Strike Domination
04-19-2009, 01:54 AM
My strike ball, I just throw it straight for the 6 and 10 pin, and the 3-6-10 and company most of the time.

No Open Tenths
04-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Red,white and blue spiral vizaball. As an added bonus it hypnotizes my competitors, lol.

Evilash71
05-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I use a plastic brunswick chicago bears viz a ball for the 7s and 10s and try and use my strike ball for the rest.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 09:36 AM

I can't agree more. If you cant pick up your spares than seriously you will lose several games to seemingly lesser bowlers. Over a four games series see who usually wins. The guy picking up his spares and stringing some strikes together. Not the one with open frames. Spares unfortunately became somewhat of a lost art when people starting cranking house balls their fingers couldnt fit in by just palming the ball. They pretty much became strike or nothing players. It looked cool so thats all that mattered. Some of them carried that over to resin balls when they bought their own and for the most part have the same problem. Some exceptions of course. But i dont know a single coach or accomplished player who doesnt feel that somewhat hampered their growth learning that way.

So hooking the ball and strikes are the cool tricks of the trade but seriously watch any PBA event. The loser is the one with the open frame.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I have a brunswick viz a ball i have used for spares for some time. I will say this though. Much like thong princess mentioned occasionally my consistancy becomes an issue at times for me as well. I have recently taken to going after my 10 pin with my strike ball.

A trick i sort of use that I believe ive seen Chris Barnes use as well is i basically do what was mentioned by thong princess and spread out my pinkie(thats what usually I would do anyhow on spare ball) but what i do when i use my strike ball is essentially go back to the old school suitcase release where i have my hand on the side of the ball more. This allows it to still be a resin ball so to speak with some revs and some hook but severly minimized by the fact my hand is not coming around from behind it like normal.

So on a ten pin. Ill make the adjustment. Scoot way over to the opposite gutter or close. And essentially aim further down the lane than my normal targeting and aim for the right to middle side of the ten.

If i do the release correctly the ball will go longer, roll later, hook less but some, and flatten about three feet in front of the pin and take it out.

Ive actually become better at this then using my spare ball for whatever reason.

Hammerguy529
05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
I haven't actually gotten to use my spare ball, but Ive tried flattening my wrists and it is easily a 40/60 hit or miss ratio....I often find myself missing them than hitting them. I havent managed to get a 200 game yet, and I know the main issue is my lack of spares!

mrbill
05-28-2009, 07:19 PM

I use a Plastic vis a ball WWF Raw is WAR ball..:cool:
I tryed useing my strike ball for spares but I could not stop the rotations completely, plastic Slides!

dpmusic70
05-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I have a Brunswick Viz-a-ball Aquarium.

Evilash71
05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I use a Plastic vis a ball WWF Raw is WAR ball..:cool:
I tryed useing my strike ball for spares but I could not stop the rotations completely, plastic Slides!

I use my strike ball for everything but ten pins and some single pins. If there are double or more pins, its a strike ball. If its the seven pin, strike ball. I just adjust to the right or left depending which side the pins are left on, about two boards and i adjust my target about three boards to the right if say the pins are on the left side. I spread out the pinky, bring in the index, and turn my hand to about 4 oclock to begin the shot. So there is very minimal hook but enough to get to the pin. Ten pins i can sometimes pick this up but usually i will use a spare ball.

My wife on the other hand can kill ten pins with he strike ball.

mrbill
05-31-2009, 12:26 PM
I use my strike ball for everything but ten pins and some single pins. If there are double or more pins, its a strike ball. If its the seven pin, strike ball. I just adjust to the right or left depending which side the pins are left on, about two boards and i adjust my target about three boards to the right if say the pins are on the left side. I spread out the pinky, bring in the index, and turn my hand to about 4 oclock to begin the shot. So there is very minimal hook but enough to get to the pin. Ten pins i can sometimes pick this up but usually i will use a spare ball.

My wife on the other hand can kill ten pins with he strike ball.

I started trying useing my strike ball today to pick up anything head pin and to the left now, It seems easer now that Ive read alot of posts on the subject^^^
I just move to the right, its different but I'll get used to it....:)

bball
05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
My spare ball is a T-Zone. I us it for MR. 10 Pin, also use it for some splits. If it starts to turn I'm in big trouble.

Evilash71
06-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Let me say that i experienced the following which has actually helped me. My spare ball apparently had the fingertip grips drilled a slightly bigger drill bit size than the 31/32 suggested by VISE. Apparently many shops do this to save them self the time and effort of fitting the grip in snuggly where as that slight bigger drill size allows it to just fall in basically. Well that "falling in," essentially always made my grip on my spare ball feel a bit off or shifty.

So i had switched to using my strike balls for about three weeks. Got fairly good at it. In fact bowled a 248 today just using my strike ball.

But the point was this. This morning i decided to rip out the old grips and took it down to the pro shop of a guy i really trust who hadn't done that particular ball. He measured and sure enough figured out what i had said. So he fitted me with some grips a half size smaller in finger size from a 5 and 4(in VISE sizes) to a 4 and 3. This was to mimic the feel of the strike ball he had drilled for me correctly.

So i have the grips glued in and drying now and am looking forward to taking the ol spare ball out for those pesky 10 pins again.

So if something feels a bit off it could just be something slight. Who knows.Just something to keep in mind. Im telling you i always felt like my spare ball shifted during my backswing and couldnt figure out what it was. So Ill update later after i get the spare ball out there again.

mrbill
06-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Let me say that i experienced the following which has actually helped me. My spare ball apparently had the fingertip grips drilled a slightly bigger drill bit size than the 31/32 suggested by VISE. Apparently many shops do this to save them self the time and effort of fitting the grip in snuggly where as that slight bigger drill size allows it to just fall in basically. Well that "falling in," essentially always made my grip on my spare ball feel a bit off or shifty.

So i had switched to using my strike balls for about three weeks. Got fairly good at it. In fact bowled a 248 today just using my strike ball.

But the point was this. This morning i decided to rip out the old grips and took it down to the pro shop of a guy i really trust who hadn't done that particular ball. He measured and sure enough figured out what i had said. So he fitted me with some grips a half size smaller in finger size from a 5 and 4(in VISE sizes) to a 4 and 3. This was to mimic the feel of the strike ball he had drilled for me correctly.

So i have the grips glued in and drying now and am looking forward to taking the ol spare ball out for those pesky 10 pins again.

So if something feels a bit off it could just be something slight. Who knows.Just something to keep in mind. Im telling you i always felt like my spare ball shifted during my backswing and couldnt figure out what it was. So Ill update later after i get the spare ball out there again.

My spare ball feels shifty but its my fault that I asked the proshop to not put rubber tips in my finger holes and just drillthe tips out because I never had a Ball like that and thought it was cool.
Well now it seems the holes are to big thumb aswell and I will have to get my proshop to put tips in.
I need to get my spare ball up to snuff if im ever gonna get in a scratch league some day;)

JaxBowlingGuy
06-03-2009, 09:35 AM
depnding on if its trny or not either a white dot that some had scratched then left on the rack... i resurfaced and is as good as new..lol or if its un sanctioned stuff its a Storm Viz-a-ball. thats used to be my primary spare ball until the white dot fell into my hands..

tbrownie
06-04-2009, 12:15 AM
im currently throwing a urethane hammer at my spares, but depending on the condition, it sometimes will grab too much and chop multi pin spares, and skim past a single pin... so i have to go look in the storage building and see if i can find my Plastic Ebonite Eyeball :)

Jamski
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, I have only one...my Clash...so that's what I throw at spares! I'm getting a lot more of them anymore since I started really concentrating on them, and, not surprisingly, my scores have risen pretty dramatically as a result. Still, I wonder how much better I could be doing if I weren't having to compensate for the hook.

manningm
06-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I am currently using a Ebonite Orange Maxim drilled over the label.

Mike Manning

mrbill
06-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I had to take my Motorcycle to the lanes a few weeks ago and was only able to take 1 ball (my ICON300)
And Started useing it for picking up spares, I do better with my Strike ball then I did with my Plastic for the spares:) I'm gonna stick with 1 ball now;)

Bygnel
07-01-2009, 08:39 AM
I use a Blue Dot for spares, works pretty well when I pull my head out of my @$$ long enough to throw it properly.. lol

seniorstroker
07-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I use the Onyx Vibe for rt side spares & some splits..depends on oil pattern as to what I use..

mrbill
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I had to take my Motorcycle to the lanes a few weeks ago and was only able to take 1 ball (my ICON300)
And Started useing it for picking up spares, I do better with my Strike ball then I did with my Plastic for the spares:) I'm gonna stick with 1 ball now;)

I replaced the tips in my WWF Raw is WAR vizA ball and now it works better for me.
Throwing my strike ball is fine as long as I'm feeling strong.

poflobo
10-11-2009, 01:44 PM
One night during league after missing several spares I said "Well, I guess I need to get me a spare ball!". The next week a team mate gave me an old Brunswick USA VIZ-A-BALL. It ain't pretty, but I miss way fewer spares with the "straight shot". Definitely improved my game!:D

Drano
10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I chuck my strike ball 22mph at em, it doesn't get enough time to hook :D

poflobo
10-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I chuck my strike ball 22mph at em, it doesn't get enough time to hook :D

Holy Smokes! :eek: Ever broke any pins? :D

I have a hard enough time with accuracy at 15 mph. Hahaha! (See sig.below.):D

Stormed1
10-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Last year was an Ice Storm drilled neh at 4k plus diamond gloss. For this year trying an experiment using a 14 lb Golden Globe. If the lighter weight does not work out i have a 15 lb 900Global Globe waiting to drill

Drano
10-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Holy Smokes! :eek: Ever broke any pins? :D

I have a hard enough time with accuracy at 15 mph. Hahaha! (See sig.below.):D

nope but i've had quite a few pins fly in front of the rake, thats always fun

and for some reason, im more accurate when i throw it fast, i can rarely throw a slow ball and get it to go where i want it to go
other than my strike ball

(not that hooking is the factor, i just can't hit my mark when i throw it slow but straight)

poflobo
10-11-2009, 11:35 PM
nope but i've had quite a few pins fly in front of the rake, thats always fun

and for some reason, im more accurate when i throw it fast, i can rarely throw a slow ball and get it to go where i want it to go
other than my strike ball

(not that hooking is the factor, i just can't hit my mark when i throw it slow but straight)

I actually do throw my spare ball a little faster, but I sometimes mess up, by over-thinking the shot! Think long... think wrong!:D

123seeyah
10-12-2009, 02:19 AM
I use a Roto Grip Golden Globe for my spares. Getting the lane condition out of the picture is a really helpful way of having consistent spare shooting

Mellen
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
WWF - Stone Cold Steve Austin - Vis A Ball; for my 10 pin.

Other than that, I use what ever I am rolling for the game. Have taught myself how to flatten my wrist out and throw straight again when needed.

mike-boogie
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I use a brunswick Tzone for spare shooting. very inexpensive and goes straight as an arrow when I need it to.

BabyboyMuscles
10-13-2009, 11:18 PM
My spare ball is my strike ball until tomorrow. I have an ebonite maxim and it does fine going straight 20 miles an hour no problems at all! I'll be keeping it as my ball to pick up the end pins on the back row that are left up.

sparesr4sissies
10-13-2009, 11:51 PM
I used to use a Viz-A-Ball, but it hooks too much, so I got a rubber ball and that seems to be working well.

Alakazam
10-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I use a blue dot that I picked up as soon as I started bowling 6 years ago on the advice of some knowledgeable friends. I use it for the 7, 10, 4-7, 6-10, and the 2-4-5, straight at em.

jaws1945
10-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Don't use one. I use a kill shot on my cross alley 6 and 10 pins

difiCa
10-16-2009, 10:46 AM
I recently picked up a used old Ebonite Maxim, which has really improved my 10-pin sparing percentage compared to shooting my strike ball with a kill shot, which tended to hook slightly and miss the 10. I've also started using it on some other spares with fairly good results.

J Anderson
02-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Used to use a 15# Ebonite signature w/ conventional grip for every thing. Used the arrows for strikes and aimed at the pins for spares. Averaged as high as 177 bowling in league once a week.
Switched to bowling left-handed due to an injury about two years ago. On the recommendation of my friend Jeff, I bought a used 15#Track reactive resin ball w/ fingertip grip, and learned to throw a hook. I can kill the hook for single pins and any thing to the left of center and am averaging 163.
After my right hand healed, I decided to upgrade to a 15# Hammer black widow. I cannot completely kill the hook on this ball, so for a while I kept the old Ebonite ball for spares. Have since invested in a Columbia White Dot for spares. I'm still trying to figure out which multi-pin spares I should hook at and which should go straight.

Stormed1
02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
A lot depends on lane surface i'm bowling on. I use the plastic for the 10 pin and 3-10 all the time 3-6-10 and 3-6-9-10 i use my Link as it has a small hook which will help carry the sleeper. Over the summer i plan on working at throwing the plastic at all my single pin spares

Beech
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
i HAVE a plastic ball but it doesnt have my switch grips in them, and the thumb needs redone. so im using my main balls or my scout reactive to hit my 10pins etc. If i leave pins on the left i throw across lane with a big hook :p

gfdengine204
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I use an Ebonite Maxim for all of my single pin spares. I have a clear Hammer Cube spare ball on it's way from Canada as I type this. I much prefer a straight shot at my single pin spares versus a hook that could hit some oil I don't know about......

For multi-pin spares, I will use my hooking ball to cover all the wood. But as always, it's a work in progress, needing constant practice.

rastamaoli
03-15-2010, 04:54 AM
dude what about rubber does rubber work with or without revs??

What about polyester?? Urethane??

J Anderson
03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
dude what about rubber does rubber work with or without revs??

What about polyester?? Urethane??

Almost anything can work. The pros seem to almost always use plastic to eliminate the need to think about how they are going to release the ball. On the other hand I know quite a few bowlers who just change their release a bit and use whatever they have been using for strikes. Some times it is urethane, and sometimes its even reactive resin. Rubber definitely works. I would still be using my old Ebonite signiture for spares except that it really needs to be refit. I think that my hand has changed a bit since 1975;) I now use polyester with the same grip as my reactive resin so they both feel the same.

randwool
03-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Normally use my #1 ball with a wrist adjustment.

StriKING
05-27-2010, 11:33 PM
I just started using a plastic ball for the evil 10 pin. I had been using my Fury Pearl but, unless I was on the left lane I just didn't have the room to hook into it, because I stand way left. The ball return is in the way on the right lane.

On other spare shots, especially with splits, I have good control with my Fury Pearl. I've got it finished to 1000 grit abralon and it bites nicely and, with the exception of that 10, it pretty much goes where I want it to go; smooth and predictable.

My main strike ball is a Storm Virtual Energy, which I just picked up at the end of April. I've used it for easier spares like the 2,4,5,8 small bucket, but I don't trust it yet for the corners or precision split shots because it's just too aggresive and/or I haven't learned how to control it for the more precise spare shots.

Anyway, I was initially looking to pick up a Storm Ice for the 10-pin spare, but recently found an old 16 lb ball from the late 70's that I had tucked away in a corner of the basement. No Idea who the manufacturer was... it had Gem 300 stamped on it along with a diamond graphic. (Any of you older guys ever heard of that?) Anyway I had it plugged and redrilled to my adult hand span and had it drilled fingertip and thumb slug like my other balls so it "feels" the same on release. It polished up like new and it works like a charm. Best of all my house pro did the redrill for free (thanks, Jay) so it didn't cost me a dime to pull this one out of mothballs.

owlish
05-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I have three balls. One for strike shot, one for spares pin #3 and left and use a house ball for anything pin #6 and right as in pin #6, #9 and #10. I cannot for anything get to the right of me with my strike ball or my second ball. A Spare is a must for me from now on.

WAC4504
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I use a Brunswick 15 lb. black and silver sparkle Rhino for ten pins. I have no idea how old the ball is 'cause it was used when I bought it. Thinking about getting a 16 lb. plastic since I throw 16, I told the pro shop to let me know if get a used 16 lb. plastic ball in. The spare ball is the only ball I would ever buy used, I just can't see spending a lot of money on a piece of plastic.

hokiefan76
06-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I actually use my Ebonit 14pound Maxim for my spare, that way I get the practice in for accurate straight throws and have that ability to get as close to the mark as I can when I do need it. I roll My Lanebreaker or my Mutant Cell otherwise depending on lane conditions. (currently on Shark Pattern where I play)

owlish
06-07-2010, 07:08 AM
I actually use my Ebonit 14pound Maxim for my spare, that way I get the practice in for accurate straight throws and have that ability to get as close to the mark as I can when I do need it. I roll My Lanebreaker or my Mutant Cell otherwise depending on lane conditions. (currently on Shark Pattern where I play)

What is the weight of your non-spare balls? You said you use a 14# for spares, is the weight of your strike ball(s) higher or lower?

owl

jimgilmore
11-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I stated bowling again this year but due to my now permanent disability. I'm only using a 10# slingshot. But I have been having a hard time getting the ball to stay right and cover 6 or 10 pins.
So i've now added a columbia wd and even using it for my strike ball. I use the slingshot for any left side pins and the wd for right side pins.

Beech
11-17-2010, 11:49 PM
i use a 16lbs plastic VIZ-A-BALL! i got it and my avg has gone up 12 pins cant complain about that but i only throw a 15lbs strike shot but im strong enough to overcome the weight diffrence i dont even fell it, lowered my speed down to about 18mph instead of 20 :D