PDA

View Full Version : lifting not throwing the ball....

tracy
02-26-2011, 06:18 PM
i am watching michael fagen and pete weber bowl 1/31/10. i am wondering where do they get the lift? there follow through is so smooth, not cutting up on the ball,like you would think. is it because of their back swing being so high or what do you think it might be?

kev3inp
02-27-2011, 12:20 PM
It's fine control of the height of release and the timing of it. It's hard not to grab (for me) if I'm trying to loft.

BowlingObsessed
03-06-2011, 01:34 AM
You don't throw a bowling ball the way you throw a baseball. Gravity does most of the work, very little muscle is incorporated into either of their arm swings. If you watch Fagan's release his wrist goes clockwise then counter clockwise when it gets to the bottom. His elbow also bends then unbends slightly right before he lets go of it. For him it's kind of like throwing a yo-yo. The elbow bending and unbending causes a whip cracking like effect so to speak.

As for Pete, his is way more traditional. Stay behind it, when it gets to the bottom thumb comes out first then lift with the fingers. Almost like shaking someone's hand.

DanielMareina
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
The revs a bowler gets are part wrist rotation and part lifting your hand after release. Guys like Pete Weber get plenty of revs with their wrist that they don't need the acceleration in the follow through. Norm Duke on the other hand does less with the wrist and more with the follow through. Me personally, I was over 400 revs and toned down my revs by getting rid of the follow through acceleration. On a house shot, I didn't need the extra revs, and I feel much smoother just letting my wrist, and as the above person said, gravity do all the work.

The Mayor
03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Actually, if you look at Pete's hand after release when he's throwing it his best, it is completely open. There is no excessive lift with the fingers. It's rotation and roll. This is the definition of "letting the ball do the work."

tracy
03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
i watched next level bowling with norm duke and he was showing9instructing) on how to get more revs. it took me a couple of games but it sure made a difference to the good. can't beleive the difference it made with just that one tip on lift.