PDA

View Full Version : Entire arsenal -- one layout??

GoKidd
02-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Is it common to use one drilling layout on your entire arsenal?
I read that ball surface and coverstock have the greatest effect on ball motion, while layout is a fine-tuning control by comparison.
So do folks find a single layout and use it on all their equipment?

kev3inp
02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure. I have a ball for each of the general lane conditions, and they're all laid out slightly differently depending on what I was looking to do on the lanes. I have pin under, pin over and a pin right next to the finger holes.

The Mayor
02-28-2011, 09:18 AM
If you have a layout that you really like, then it's not a horrible idea to put that layout on all of your equipment. However, that one layout may play to the strengths of a certain ball but actually detract from another. I've always been of the opinion that the layout should affirm what the ball was designed to do. If you're drilling a ball that is designed to go long and make a strong move on the backend, then put a layout that enhances that. Most people wouldn't want to put a pin axis drilling on an Anarchy because that's not what the ball was designed to do. Just my opinion.

DanielMareina
02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Everyone will have a layout that works well. Mine is a 5" pin with a 5 1/2" MB with the pin just above my fingers. I have this layout on probably 5 of my 14 balls. The problem is that each layout is more than just a fine tuning device. I have about 4 layouts that I like, and then a few that I have to be more specific to what I want. I have met many people that have multiple balls with the same layout to get a similiar core dynamic, but each ball is very different.
Personally, I like a 5" pin up, 4.5" pin down, 3 3/8" pin up, and a 5" pin down with a short mass bias.
I don't recommend only having one layout if you want to be a tournament bowler, or bowl on sport conditions. I recommend talking to your pro shop guy in detail about what you want, and let him give you advice before each drilling.

GoKidd
02-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Excellent info -- thank you.
I'm currently bowling only the THS, but would eventually like to try the sport patterns.
(Of course, I need to get my basic shot more consistent first ...)

J Anderson
03-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Excellent info -- thank you.
I'm currently bowling only the THS, but would eventually like to try the sport patterns.
(Of course, I need to get my basic shot more consistent first ...)

You might not want to wait. On a THS, unless you're really focused on following the path of the ball, its easy to think that five straight strikes or even five straight shots in the pocket is the same as having thrown five consistent shots. Sport patterns are like having instant feedback. Also, since they seem to break down faster you may learn how to make lane adjustments faster. Another thing to consider is that if you wait until you have a couple of seasons averaging 200+ on the THS, those first 140s and 150s on the sport patterns can be a real blow to the old self esteem. Where I bowl they offer a summer sport league that's at least twice as popular as the winter league. most people seem to try it once, improve a little, and don't come back, some get completely frustrated and quit, and then you're left with the regional pros, the would be/wannabe pros, and the nuts like me who actually enjoy bowling on tough lane conditions.

GoKidd
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Sport patterns are like having instant feedback. Also, since they seem to break down faster you may learn how to make lane adjustments faster.

Cool perspective, thanks!