PDA

View Full Version : 199...really?

Paralipsis
02-28-2011, 11:16 AM
It was about two weeks ago during Youth League. I had already rolled a 134 and a 118 and during my third game, I struggeled to start off. Walked away, zoned out, came back, rolled mostly strikes and left a ringing ten pin on my third throw in the 10th frame resulting in a 199. Being a bowler who has only achieved 200+ twice in league (only been bowling since last season) I was looking forward to starting off with a 200 game early on. But damn that 199 hurt.

johncongdon
02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Look at the bright side, you started off struggling very badly, even into the third game. But somehow you managed to clear your mind, focus, and execute. That is VERY tough to do, especially after the first two games.

Paralipsis
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
About the 4th/5th frame, I realized that I was getting really frustrated and that my mechanics were shot and I was going back to old habits. Walking away and zoning out helped me out big time. Went back to my usual release and was hitting my mark, give or take a board or two.

The Mayor
03-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Yes, one thing I was always taught was if you're struggling, always go back to the basics. It could be something as simple as how high you hold the ball to how you breathe throughout your approach can make a huge difference in your game.

Paralipsis
03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
It was just the fact that I was getting so frustrated. I couldn't focus on the game, couldn't focus on my mark, and was just throwing it to end the pain mostly.

RotoMark
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
One thing you definitely want to remember, is pin count and practice. Each ball that you throw is building muscle memory, consistency, and experience. Though it is always easier said than done, you cannot get frustrated in bowling. If you leave a solid 10, 9, or 8 - clear your mind, pick it up, and move on. You'll find that in leagues (match play scoring system), or brackets, or whatever you end up getting yourself into, every pin counts! I have been eliminated from my share of brackets and tournaments by leaving a ringing 10, and getting up the next frame, grabbing my ball, and ripping the cover off of it as if the pins have feelings. Once you lose a few games or some cash tournaments/brackets by a single pin or two, you'll begin to realize more than each ball, each pin, counts more than you could imagine.

Stay focused, stay relaxed, and imagine each frame as the first frame. If you start focusing on your frustrations or some bad leaves, picture a STOP sign and take your mind off of the situation. Bowling is also heavily influenced on your mental game as well. This type of thought process is also used by many professionals, as well as tourney-rats in game winning situations, or even bowlers working on a 300.

Stop.
Breathe.
Focus.
Know what your plan is before you step foot on the approach.
Pick up your ball.
Visualize the perfect ball and follow through.

martinezsam2495
06-06-2012, 03:42 AM
I know, I hate when that happens, I usually try to relax, and let the ball go out naturally,
just like taking a ****, you want it to come out nice and smooth, not force it out and feel like your giving birth out of your anus

AZBowla
10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I bowled in a league several years ago. They just re-oiled the lanes prior to us starting and in practice I threw six strikes in a row. Six! The other team we were up against was pissed, they thought my buddy had brought in a ringer (me). I thought I was going to have the game of my life that night. Then official play began. You think I could throw another strike the rest of that entire night? I was leaving 7's, 10's, even a few splits and a gutter ball the rest of the night. Major choke. I would have much rather bowled that 199 you had than the miserable performance I put on, especially after freaking everyone out in practice just before. I think I was lucky to break 120 that night in my highest scoring game. Awful.