PDA

View Full Version : tater tot shepherd's pie

kev3inp
03-04-2011, 05:30 AM
We had this yesterday and it was great! The wife posted pics on her page of it. So for theluigi et al here's the recipe:

Potato Tot-Topped Shepherd’s Pie
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
2 pounds coarse ground sirloin, pat very dry with paper towels
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped

2 fresh bay leaves
Salt and pepper
About 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons butter
2 rounded tablespoons flour
1/2 cup cloudy apple cider or amber beer
2 cups beef stock in a box

1 cup chopped watercress leaves
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 bag frozen tater tots
Yields: Serves 4-6
Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high to high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. When oil ripples, add meat and brown well, stirring occasionally. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften vegetables, 10-12 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and reduce heat to simmer.
In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in cider or beer. Reduce by half then whisk in stock and thicken to a loose gravy.

Place meat and vegetables in a casserole dish and stir in watercress and gravy. Top with cheddar and tots, and bake until tots are golden and crispy on top.

(c) MMIX KWP STUDIOS INC. All rights reserved.
132 E. 43rd St., P.O. Box 543 New York, NY 10017

The Mayor
03-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Sounds good! Almost thought I was going to have to delete you because I thought you were spam ;)

theluigi
03-04-2011, 12:27 PM
the pictures of this on facebook look marvelous.

GoKidd
04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
HEY, thanks for sharing this recipe, kev3inp! We made it this past weekend subbing soy crumbles for the beef and it was really great.
I already have plans for the next time -- use a more shallow baking dish so I can have MORE tots!!
Great!!

kev3inp
04-21-2011, 07:14 AM
It was so good I had to share it. Glad you enjoyed it. When I find good ones I'll post them here, too. My wife and I love cooking, as everyone can tell from my belly! LOL!

The Mayor
04-21-2011, 10:08 AM
I'd post my meatball recipe, but then I'd have to kill ya...

kev3inp
04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I've got one for chicken fried steak in a beer and onion gravy that is excellent, too. I'll get that together. I make breaded noodles as a side dish to pour the gravy over, too. I use a variation on my meatloaf recipe for my meatballs, and another variation for hamburgers.