PDA

View Full Version : A ten pin away!

csch79
03-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I have never had a 300 game or a 700 series. I typically average in the mid 190's.

Last night was the second week of our league. I bowled a 215 followed by a 216.

In the third game I opened with a strike, then in the second frame I shot a 9 and left the 10 pin. I then promptly missed the 10 pin which is very unusual lately.

I followed that with 10 strikes in a row for a 268.

Final series was a 699 :mad:

Oh well, there is always next week! I will say that 268 and 699 are my new highest sanctioned scores so I'm not really complaining.

johncongdon
03-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Congratulations, I haven't had a 300 either. However I have had two 700 series so far. I keep looking for a 300. I had a 279 once that got me into the finals of a tournament, and that is my best so far.

Keep up the great work.

johncongdon
03-05-2011, 06:58 PM
You said this was the second week of league? What kind of league are you in? Most of them around us run forever (35-36 weeks) except for summer leagues. It would be nice to get some shorter ones going.

csch79
03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
You said this was the second week of league? What kind of league are you in? Most of them around us run forever (35-36 weeks) except for summer leagues. It would be nice to get some shorter ones going.

It is just a small company league. It is only 12 weeks long and we only have 6 teams. I figured it would be a good way to get started back in league bowling since I have been out for a long time.

I plan on joining a more traditional league when the next season starts.

J Anderson
03-06-2011, 08:15 AM
The sport league that I bowl in breaks it's season into 12 week segments. It seems to have helped increase the size of the league.

The Mayor
03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
The sport league that I bowl in breaks it's season into 12 week segments. It seems to have helped increase the size of the league.

All leagues should do this, in my opinion. 36 weeks is a long time for a league. And even if you bowl all 36 weeks, if it's split into 3 sections, you feel like you're starting fresh every third. If you get in a hole in a 36 week league, many times you can't dig your way out. This is how you lose bowlers. At least with a fresh start every 12 weeks, you don't feel like you're just being an ATM for the leading teams.

mikejones
04-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Congrats on the great game. Once you shoot your first 700 the rest will be much easier. Best way to get over that hill is to focus on 1 shot at a time. I know before I shot my first 800 all I ever thought about was getting to at least 500 after 2 so I could give myself a chance. That is the worst mentality to have because you mentally beat yourself up for not carrying a shot or missing a spare. Just focus on making 1 good shot at a time and the scores will come.

martin
10-19-2011, 01:11 AM
my highest series is only a 661.. :D still some way from 700

csch79
10-19-2011, 09:56 AM
It will come, don't give up!! :)

It will definitely come. I haven't been back on here in a while but I shot a 723 the last night of that league (233,245,245). I have had a few 700's since then. On to 800 now.:D

The Mayor
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Nice!

StormGirl
10-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Wow those are really long. The ones here go for 2 10-12 weeks. I don't think I could commit to such a long league.

On topic, wow. Congratulations on your new sanctioned score. I have yet to get a 600 series! Good luck with your 700 next week! Let us know how it went.

martin
10-20-2011, 01:57 AM
thx 4 all the support.. i'll keep going until i get that 700.. :D

Trex
11-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Wow those are really long. The ones here go for 2 10-12 weeks. I don't think I could commit to such a long league.

PBA Membership Requirement:

There are three ways to become a member of the Professional Bowlers Association

A 200 average or better for the most recent league season with at least 36 games in that league.

A 190 average or better in a sanctioned USBC Sport Bowling League. This is a league run by the USBC using the PBA patterns.

You can find out if there are sports leagues near you by contacting the USBC at (800) 514-BOWL (2695).

Cashing in a PBA Regional tournament as a non-member.

So.....
Am I the only one here who wants to join??

HunterRunsIt
11-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Those are still great scores bud! My highest right now is a 234! You'll find that 300, and 700 series! good luck good bowling

J Anderson
11-26-2011, 09:01 AM
PBA Membership Requirement:

There are three ways to become a member of the Professional Bowlers Association

A 200 average or better for the most recent league season with at least 36 games in that league.

A 190 average or better in a sanctioned USBC Sport Bowling League. This is a league run by the USBC using the PBA patterns.

You can find out if there are sports leagues near you by contacting the USBC at (800) 514-BOWL (2695).

Cashing in a PBA Regional tournament as a non-member.

So.....
Am I the only one here who wants to join??

Not sure that I want to join, but I'd love to get to the point where I could enter a regional and see how I do against the pros.

HunterRunsIt
11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I would love to eventually bowl on the pba! It would be a dream come true.

StormGirl
11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Bowling on the PBA would be a dream come true. I know people at my local alley who have bowled with the pros, and they say it's a great experience to have. If I ever get to a 200 average, I'll definitely try it out myself.

HunterRunsIt
11-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Not to mention bowling on the pba, at least trying to get on tour is heavy on the pocket I know someone who bowls at my local alley that has a 214 avg but can't afford the amount needed.

StormGirl
11-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Yeah I know a few people who can't afford the fees. I wonder how much it costs exactly

got_a_300
11-30-2011, 02:20 AM
Yeah I know a few people who can't afford the fees. I wonder how much it costs exactly

Well I can tell you it is not cheap to bowl on the regional level, on the Southern PBA Regional Tour most
if not all of the tournaments will cost you $220.00 if you are a member and $285.00 if you're not plus the
cost of your PBA membership which is a $99 initiation fee plus $300 annually plus the transportation cost
to and from the tournaments plus hotel/food etc., etc.,. If a person is serious about joining the PBA and
intends to bowl quite a few tournaments then you will need to line up some sponsors or have some mighty
deep pockets of your own.

I was in the process of getting ready to join the Southern Regional PBA Tour back in 1999 until I injured
my back at work. I already had my membership form filled out and already had several sponsors lined up
and was good to go until my back injury happened and that wound that up. I didn't get back to bowling
until this season so I was out of bowling for 12 years and man is it ever hard to get back in the swing of
it.

StormGirl
11-30-2011, 02:56 AM
Ouch. That's a terrible story. Sorry about that. How did you go about getting sponsored? Was it just a matter of catching the eye of the sponsors at smaller tournaments?

HunterRunsIt
11-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Well I can tell you it is not cheap to bowl on the regional level, on the Southern PBA Regional Tour most
if not all of the tournaments will cost you $220.00 if you are a member and $285.00 if you're not plus the
cost of your PBA membership which is a $99 initiation fee plus $300 annually plus the transportation cost
to and from the tournaments plus hotel/food etc., etc.,. If a person is serious about joining the PBA and
intends to bowl quite a few tournaments then you will need to line up some sponsors or have some mighty
deep pockets of your own.

I was in the process of getting ready to join the Southern Regional PBA Tour back in 1999 until I injured
my back at work. I already had my membership form filled out and already had several sponsors lined up
and was good to go until my back injury happened and that wound that up. I didn't get back to bowling
until this season so I was out of bowling for 12 years and man is it ever hard to get back in the swing of
it. That's rough! Maybe you can get back to your prime. But yeah that's a real stroke of bad like.

got_a_300
11-30-2011, 03:51 PM
There are several way to get sponsors
1. you can sell shares in yourself
2. you can find sponsors at large or small tournaments
3. or get lucky like I did and have some local sponsors
4. sponsor yourself

I was lucky as I had the owners of our local center and some of their well off friends that was going
to sponsor me but oh well.................:(

I realize it is going to take some time to ever get back close to where I once was in bowling if I can ever
even achieve that goal again. As with age comes other problems such as knee problems plus I still have a
back problem but not quite as bad as it once was though thank goodness.