PDA

View Full Version : Mark Roth Plastic Ball tournament...what were your thoughts?

mrbowling300
03-07-2011, 07:45 AM
I liked seeing Bohn and Couch back in action, was glad that Couch won, although, I was rooting for the Michigan guy, Smallwood. I liked Petraglia in the booth as well, what a breath of fresh air that was vs. same old thing with Randy and Rob. I did not like the handheld camera that was off to the right...very wobbly and out of focus at times. I can't believe PB3 is 47, where has time gone? Also, Jackie Bowling was back in view again, looking very pretty...but she kept looking over at the monitor to see herself! Can't believe this season is winding down...PBA bowling on TV just does not have enough shows anymore. They're going to take this playoff thing and really stretch it out.

BowlingObsessed
03-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Good show, I enjoyed it. Seeing Couch and Bohn go at it again was pretty awesome to see. They finally decided to create an oil pattern specifically for the event as well.

mrbowling300
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I wonder if the oil pattern mirrors that of the PBA in the late 70s when plastic was prevalent?

The Mayor
03-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Personally, I thought it was one of the worst shows of the season. I've always been a big supporter of the plastic ball tournament since it evens everything out. But, the oil pattern they designed was crap. I don't want to see them averaging 240 with a plastic ball. I also want to see them playing the lanes like they did in the plastic ball era. You didn't see guys swinging the whole lane in the 70's. Put out a flat pattern and really make these guys work.

GoKidd
03-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Were competitors in this event allowed to surface their plastic balls however they wished? Would it make much difference in how the plastic ball reacts?

The Mayor
03-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Were competitors in this event allowed to surface their plastic balls however they wished? Would it make much difference in how the plastic ball reacts?

Yes, they could change the surface. However, it looked like if they put too much surface on it, the ball would check up way too soon. And with less surface it was corner pin city. So it was a lose, lose.

GoKidd
03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
I watched a couple of matches from the Mark Roth event on YouTube just yesterday. Pretty amazing! I heard the commentator say each competitor got to drill two of the identical plastic balls. Period.

J Anderson
03-15-2011, 10:33 PM
I think for the TV finals they were allowed a total of four

Trex
08-10-2011, 10:14 PM
why would they need four plastic balls....different surface's?

The Mayor
08-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Correct. Different layouts as well. Layouts don't make much of a difference, but it could be the difference between carrying or not.