PDA

View Full Version : Coming back into bowling - looking for a decent all-around ball.

MrEcted
03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Hey Guys!

I'm just getting back into bowling. I'm looking to get a new ball because my current one is a bit heavy (16 lb) and it starts to screw with my screwed-up wrist so I'm moving to a 15 pounder. Even though it has been years since I bowled with any serious effort, I'd consider myself intermediate. I averaged a little over 180 with my last 10 games bowled (keep in mind, before these games the last time I bowled was at least 6+ years ago...)

When it comes to terminology and such, I'm a complete beginner, so bear with me here -

Right now I'm using a Urethane ball, so far I've only ever used urethane. I don't roll with a ton of revs, typically I just roll a smooth arc into the pocket.

The problem I'm having now is my ball really stinks in heavy oil conditions, by the time it gets any 'grip' it's typically too late. I can only afford one ball right now, so I'm looking for a decent one that would be a good go-to ball for most lane conditions. I know any ball will react differently depending on conditions, I'm just looking for something a bit more forgiving. Also, even though I've only used urethane up to this point, I'm more than happy to switch to reactive, if you believe that will help in the long run.

So, what do you suggest? I'd like to keep the price down (below $120 if I could). I've seen the 'Absolute Inferno' hailed as a great all-around ball, but it looks like those are hard to come by these days, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

The Mayor
03-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Take a look at the Storm Reign Supreme. An all-around ball if there ever was one. So versatile and will be quite a step up from your urethane ball.

Stormed1
03-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Reign Supreme would be a good choice or also a Nomad Dagger. Both are hybrids and also take to surface changes well. A couple other choices at a cheaper price point would be the Tropical Heat (black/silver) or the Rising Star. Again they are both hybrids and also respond well to surface adjustments

The Mayor
03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes, the Rising Star is getting a lot of buzz for how good it is. Amazing performance for the price!

MrEcted
03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Well, I ended up getting a Storm Victory Road.

I went to a local shop in an alley and they had various balls to try before I bought. I liked the Reign Supreme, but I felt more comfortable with the Victory. I had a pretty decent 4 games too! (considering the last time I bowled with any degree of seriousness was when I was like 15). I rolled a 188, 224, 220 and 204. Lots of great pin-action, much better than my older ball!

I found it odd that the ball has a built-in fragrance. I had no idea they did that now-a-days (is this a new thing?). That was a little odd an unexpected, but hey, maple syrup... why not I guess?

The Mayor
03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
The Victory Road is a great choice and it looks like it worked out great! As for the fragrances, only Storm does that with their bowling balls. The owner of Storm's wife would get sick walking through the factory due to the smell of the resins, so he added fragrance so she would be able to be there more (This is what I was told). I think it's unique, keeps your bowling bag smelling nice and doesn't smell like paint thinner like some balls. Now I'm just waiting for one that smells like bacon, come on Storm! lol

GoKidd
03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Ooooh ... a bacon-scented ball! Would that be: The Hickory Smoked Road? Victory Bacon? Or The Bacon Supreme?
No doubt it would have a lot of surface -- for those slightly greasy lane conditions.

The Mayor
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
hahaha Hickory Smoked Road. That's awesome

The Mayor
03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Yes, Ralph is awesome and a very good bowler. Finished around 30th at the USBC Masters this year. Very intelligent man.

jaydee
03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Victory Road is a very versatile ball from what I hear, at a great price as well.

US MKT Industry Research
07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Motiv QZ2 BackDraft. Great ball for what you are looking for.... or if you are willing to wait and able to spend a bit more money wait until the Motiv Sigma Tour comes out. Storm also has some great balls like the Victory Road.