PDA

View Full Version : Which Ball to Get?

Tom_96
03-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone, I am an amateur bowler who is in need of a new ball. I currently throw a Rotogrip Darkstar. This was a good ball but I believe, and so does my coach, that I have developed my technique enough to move to a higher end ball with a fingertip grip. I was going to get a Storm Reign of Fire, but my alley pro (who also runs the shop) contacted me and said he could get me a Brunswick C-System 4.5 for $150 with free drilling. I was wondering, should i stick with my initial decision and go with the Reign of Fire, or go for the C-System? Also, the Reign of Fire would be $180 with free drilling. I would like to have a larger hook as my current ball does not hit the pocket the way I would like it to. Thank you!

crzysnake137
03-14-2011, 11:17 PM
c system hits the pins like a marshmallow, i would go with the victory road by storm or a storm marvel, both are a great choice for what you would like. the marvel is like the reign of fire just much stronger and newer

kev3inp
03-15-2011, 08:57 AM
A couple people on our league throw the c system and are very happy with it. If it's hitting that poorly I'd bet it's rolling out before hitting the pins and needs more oil to be used properly. The Marvel does look like a nice ball. theluigi just got one and there's a link to a vid of it in that thread.

DanielMareina
03-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Don't get the C-System. It isn't that good of a ball, and for a small amount more, the Storm Reign of Fire is an AMAZING ball. crzysnake up there chose two very good balls to suggest, but I wouldn't suggest them to you. If you already have a Darkstar, then the Victory Road is also a pearl. It is a stronger pearl, but if you are adding a new ball, then I suggest going with a matte finish. Also, he offered the Marvel. An awesome ball too, but the R2X coverstock is known to breakdown faster than others. For a person that will use the ball a majority of the time, since you only will have two balls, it wouldn't last as long for you. The Reign of Fire on the other hand is a great ball for the money, is very durable, and is a very smooth controllable reaction. I think that is the perfect choice for someone wanting to move their way into performance equipment! Good luck!

kev3inp
03-15-2011, 05:37 PM
LOL! No bias at all, is there? I used to have balls that smelled, too. :) I hated the grape one, though. Nasty scent.

Hammertime
03-15-2011, 05:58 PM
I have the Alpha Max C system 4.5 and to me it is a good ball. It rolls through the heads very well and breaks hard on the back end and it will explode the pins. I have not thrown the Reign of Fire so I can not speak of it. You need to pick the ball you like best. Don't let the money ($30.00) be the deciding factor. Choose the ball you like best and go with it. If you get a ball that you are not fond of you will probably be second guessing yourself. You might want to discuss this with your coach since he is more familar with your style. Keep in mind that these high end balls require more maintance. Buy some cleaner from the pro shop and wipe the new ball every third game. Keep us posted on the ball you purchase. Good luck and Good bowling.

DanielMareina
03-15-2011, 08:24 PM
LOL! No bias at all, is there? I used to have balls that smelled, too. :) I hated the grape one, though. Nasty scent.

Although I am a Storm guy, and I do have a bias. I also am a bowling center manager, and a pro shop operator. I see a lot of balls get thrown, and drill a lot of them too. I had twelve storm balls before I got my sponsorship, so it isn't just because they give me equipment. I would bowl with there stuff anyway. There are balls out there that are good and are not made by Storm that I still would recommend to bowlers. The Hammer Infection, any of the Ebonite Missions, Most of Tracks 2010-2011 balls, but the two that were mentioned were the C system and the Reign of Fire. Out of the two, it is a clear choice. I would never stear someone away from a good ball to put them in a Storm Ball. I truthfully know that the Reign of Fire is better for the average bowler than the C System plain and simple.

Tom_96
03-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I went with the C-System 4.5 for a few reasons:
1. My Pro Shop guy said he recommended it as he has used both the Reign of Fire and the C-System and he prefers the C-System.
2. I threw my friends Reign of Fire, and while it was not perfectly fitted for me, we have very similar hand sizes, and I liked it but I had to throw a very specific line to get a strike.
3. I did actually throw the C-System before I bought it. I had it drilled with my pro shop guy saying that I could get store credit back if I did not like it.
At first, I felt the C-System was about the same as the Reign of Fire but with a little more forgiveness. But then my pro shop guy gave me a few pointers and i threw a 210 my second game with five strikes, and i followed that up with a 203. I average 149. The ball had amazing back end and just plowed through the pins. On my third game after the oil broke down, I moved to the left a few boards and threw the same target and finished with a 198. Now what I am planning on doing is purchasing a second ball for different oil patterns and I will most likely go with the Reign of Fire.
I really appreciate your help guys and will probably be back when it comes to buying another ball.

@Hammertime
I picked up a cleaner as I was leaving! Thanks!

Hammertime
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Congrats on the new ball. Seems that you are throwing it well.I hope you bowl well with it. Sounds like your Pro shop is a good guy. Their are not a lot of pro shop that I know of that will give store credit on a ball after its drill.

Tom_96
03-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes we are one of the few shops where I live that sells used bowling balls.