PDA

View Full Version : Had my coaching today...

Wild-PinWolf
03-23-2011, 03:27 PM
I get lessons at an alley not far from where I live. My coach is great (some of you NC peeps may have heard of him).

Today I worked on my strike shot more than anything. I'm right-handed, and I keep pulling my arm over to the left which throws off my shot. >.< It's very irritating. I have trouble keeping my arm straight.

Coach gave me a drill...stand in front of a mirror and work on lining up the swing to keep my arm straight. I've GOT to do that. So many missed shots are annoying!

jaydee
03-29-2011, 02:37 PM
How's it working out for you? Were the lessons from Ron Clifton?

Wild-PinWolf
03-29-2011, 11:35 PM
The lessons are very encouraging but I think one problem I have is my ball is too light. And nope, Tracy Golding.

The Mayor
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
I believe you're right. :)

Wild-PinWolf
03-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Well it'll be a while until I can get a new ball. Unless I join a league at a bowling alley on the other side of town that gives you a free bowling ball at the end of the season, I'll just have to work with what I have.

The Mayor
03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Totally understandable. You may be able to find a house ball that comes close to fitting like your ball does that is heavier. Just to get an idea if the weight is the reason for any problems you might have with your game.

jaydee
03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
What weight are you throwing and what did your instructor suggest?

Wild-PinWolf
03-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Well I was throwing 8lbs, and I hate to not use the ball because I really like it. But I guess I'll either have to sell it or just keep it as a memorial or something. I love the colors in it. My instructor, while working with me today, believes 10lbs is the best for me right now. I actually have a 10lb but I need to plug/redrill it.

jaydee
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Umm... ya, 8 lbs will deflect off the headpin all the way to the gutter, there's no way to strike consistently with that. Without knowing anything about you, if you could get up to 13 lbs, that would be a big step. 10 lbs is better than 8, but it's still pretty light. You've got 35 lbs worth of pins you're trying to knock down!

kev3inp
04-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Your coach may be trying to move you up 2 lbs at a time which is fine. It would be a huge jump to 13 lbs, and maybe more than you can handle in one jump. We've gotten my wife up to 13 lbs and it shows in carry.