PDA

View Full Version : storm tropical heat

wesley
03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
has anyone thrown or owned one of these balls?
Is it any good and what would be a good layout for heavy oil.

Stormed1
03-27-2011, 04:01 AM
I had the hybrid (black/silver) for a while. It was very strong, especially on the back end. Although I would not classify this ball as a heavy oil ball without some MAJOR surface adjustments

kev3inp
03-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah, you'd need to put a lot of surface on it for heavy oil. There are better choices at this price point.

GoKidd
03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I got the Red/Blue Tropical Heat (pearl coverstock) for Christmas and I enjoy it very much. It seems to be a very adaptable ball -- responds well to surface changes. I am a stroker with average speed and low revs and it works very well on a Typical House Shot in league matches with a 3500 to 4000 grit finish (close to the original surface). Smells like raspberry. I dig it.

jaydee
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Not sure why you would buy a Tropical Heat for heavy oil, it's really not meant for that.

For a low price, you're best bet on heavy oil would probably the C-Alpha Max for under $100 after rebate from various online vendors.

The Mayor
03-28-2011, 02:04 PM
The Tropical Heat is great for medium conditions, but isn't suited for heavy oil. The 2Furious would be a much better option for heavy conditions. It is only $5 more than the Heat on bowlingball.com.

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/Storm/8475/2-Furious.html

wesley
04-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have a red hammer backlash that is supposed to be drilled not to hook and its hooks as much as any other ball I own, taboo, pure physics, theory, virtual gravity, and I figured why spend a hundred plus dollars when I can make the cheaper one hook just as much lol

DanielMareina
04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
That is a bad pro shop guy, if all your balls hook a ton. It is very important to have multiple different hook amounts and hook shapes out of an arsenal. Most of the time, if you get a ball that is a lower price point to hook as much as the expensive ones, then it won't have a lot of energy left to push through the pins. The heavy oil balls are designed to have more power spread out across the lane than the medium to light oil balls. The 2Furious was a great suggestion in that price point, but the tropical heat hybrid does work on Medium to Medium heavy oil conditions.

Stormed1
04-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Another option would be to wait for May and the release of the SOLID Tropical Heat. You could put some surface on it and use it on heavier volumes but not TRUE heavy oil. Basically from your description of your Backlash vs your other balls it sounds to me like you don't see ENOUGH OIL. All those balls mentioned in your post require a higher volume of oil to work properly and as a result are burning up creating the situation where your backlash hooks as much as they do

The Mayor
04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Can't wait for the solid Heat! :D