PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay attention to the commercials?

kev3inp
03-31-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm certain everyone here watches the PBA on TV and has seen the commercials. I'm having a hard time understanding the Barbasol one.

Ok, the guy drives a truck full of Barbasol, and we see him with facial growth getting longer and longer. OK, they're showing that time is passing. Looks like at least two weeks to me. Is he not showering either? He can't fit a razor or SHAVE CREAM in his luggage?

Now his long trip is over and he walks into the house to find a note left on a Barbasol can. "Welcome home handsome" Is this wife talk for "go shave and shower before you even come near me?"

Next we see him clean shaven walking up the stairs. I'm assuming it's to the bedroom. Next shot we see the wife all made up and hair done, wearing, obviously, one of his flannel shirts. She lights a candle on the table and we see breakfast has been set, pancakes and coffee await. WHAT? Is it that late or that early? If you've been gone a couple of weeks is breakfast what you're after when you finally get home?

She rushes to embrace him, but watch how she does it. She turns her head to the side minimizing skin contact, for what, so her makeup doesn't smear? (I've been gone two weeks and I've followed the unwritten instructions and you can't even kiss me?)

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be expecting a much different homecoming. So this commercial's message is shave with Barbasol and only get breakfast when you finally get back home?

J Anderson
03-31-2011, 06:45 PM
This is why most of what I watch gets recorded on the DVR and the I fast forward through the ads!

Did you notice there there were no re-racks asked for last Sunday?

The Mayor
04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I definitely DVR the PBA so I can skip these horrid commercials. I honestly have no idea how these people actually get paid to come up with this crap...

Paralipsis
04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
The only commercial I find interesting, is Storms commercial. Other than that, I load up that laptop, and stay glued to youtube during commercials. Other than that, all of the commercials are lame.

kev3inp
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I was just trying and failing to understand what they were trying to say. I'm prepared to suspend disbelief, like with the male bee collecting pollen or whatever on the nasonex commercial. Drone.

The Mayor
04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
It just doesn't make much sense, you're right. Doesn't make me want to go out and buy Barbasol. It makes me NOT want to buy it. Isn't that defeating the purpose of a commercial?

comfortably numb
08-02-2011, 12:57 PM
No, actually they have succeeded. You all are discussing their commercial/product!!! Number one rule in advertising is "Any kind of mention is better than no mention at all."

Trex
08-03-2011, 03:30 PM
No, actually they have succeeded. You all are discussing their commercial/product!!! Number one rule in advertising is "Any kind of mention is better than no mention at all."

Yes....they have found that the really stupid ads stick in your mind!!

Ads that are well thought out and are serious about the product don't seem to have the same effect.

So the more silly they can make it, the more you remember it!! :)

They know that most people who watch these ads are either silly and love such nonsene, or you are serious and you hate anything that is silly...either way it sticks in your brain!! LOL