PDA

View Full Version : Wild card... to be replaced

v33dubfox
04-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi. I have been bowling since december with a Brunswick Wild Card. Since I've not been bowling for almost 7 years, it was and excellent ball which allowed me to get my average passing from 165 to 182. It hits hard and very controllable.

Now that I am used to it, I would like to try something stronger. First of all, the Wild Card is 14 pounds and I'd like to pass to a 15 pounds ball. The guy at the pro shop would like to sell me a used Hammer Taboo (it was its ball) which was used for something like 12 games. He didn't liked it and it's for sale now. The main "problem" is that he is right handed and I am left handed. I know that plugging the holes can be done and doesn't give the same coverstock than a brand new one.

Since I'm not a cranker, with mid speed and mid rev player, would the Taboo be a good choice?
Will it be stronger than the Wild Card?
Is it a ball with more lenght?

Thanks for ansering my questions!

The Mayor
04-13-2011, 08:26 AM
It sounds like your pro shop guy just wants to get rid of his own stuff instead of selling you what you need. The Taboo wouldn't be a terrible choice, but I'm not a fan of Hammer stuff after it's been resurfaced (just my opinion). I think the perfect ball for you would be the Storm Prodigy. This will be more aggressive than your Wild Card with a bit more length, but still very controllable. All in all, the Taboo isn't a bad choice, but maybe not the best.

v33dubfox
04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
What about the new C-System alpha max? With the 50$ rebate, it sounds good to me.

Drano
04-13-2011, 02:06 PM
There's no problem with the taboo being drilled for a right hander, just plug and move all the holes to the right and the plug will be out of your track.

About the Alpha max, I think that ball will be too strong for most house conditions. The Wicked Siege should be fine in the brunswick line, and they offer the rebate for that ball as well.

v33dubfox
04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I know that the Alpha Max is a very strong bll. But, from what the pro shop guy told me, it is still controllable and predictable. With the Wild Card (see the layout at the end of this post), I throw it on the second arrow (from the left) while being at the center of the lane. So, even if the Wild Card is strong, I don't have a lot of hook, because I don't have a lot of RPM. It is why the pro shop guy is considering the Alpha Max. After talking with him, he do not suggest me the Taboo because it is strong, but will hook a lot later than the Wild Card or the Alpha Max.

http://www.dubsrevolution.com/gallery/d/10430-2/DSC_0418.JPG

Drano
04-15-2011, 04:22 AM
I know that the Alpha Max is a very strong bll. But, from what the pro shop guy told me, it is still controllable and predictable. With the Wild Card (see the layout at the end of this post), I throw it on the second arrow (from the left) while being at the center of the lane. So, even if the Wild Card is strong, I don't have a lot of hook, because I don't have a lot of RPM. It is why the pro shop guy is considering the Alpha Max. After talking with him, he do not suggest me the Taboo because it is strong, but will hook a lot later than the Wild Card or the Alpha Max.

http://www.dubsrevolution.com/gallery/d/10430-2/DSC_0418.JPG

I would suggest the Alpha Max to you if you were a low rev player. But in your main post you said you were a mid rev player. I would consider mid-rev to be around 200-300RPMs or so. If you're in that area, I think the Alpha Max would be too early for you, especially on a house shot. Of course, you could polish it, but then you'd be taking a ball that's designed to be early, and making it do something it wasn't made for.

The Wicked Siege is a pearl, which will naturally make it be a bit longer, and it is still quite a bit of ball, much more so than the Wild Card.

I never really saw the Taboo as a late-hooking ball. I've never owned one, but from what I've seen of it being thrown, it's earlier than the Wicked, but later than the Alpha.

v33dubfox
04-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I finally orderd an Alpha Max in 15pds.

The Mayor
04-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Hope it works great!

v33dubfox
04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Should get it drilled tomorrow.

v33dubfox
04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Finally got it drilled tonight. I will post a pic of it tomorrow. Love it. Made 644 with it tonight with the thumb not really well adjusted.

v33dubfox
04-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Here is a picture of the layout.

http://www.dubsrevolution.com/gallery/d/11734-1/IMG020.jpg