PDA

View Full Version : summer "karma" League using brunswick Karma ball

diamondave
04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Hello,
first time poster, long time bowler getting back into the sport. Has any one bowled in a league that only allows you one ball, same brand for everyone? If so what should I expect in this scratch league? :confused: My average for the past few weeks has been in the 175 range.
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Dave

Drano
04-21-2011, 02:14 AM
My center runs a Same Ball League during the summer. It's no different than any other league, except, instead of making ball changes, you'll have to make other kinds of adjustments like ball speed, rotation, rev rate, tilt, line, etc, to get your ball to strike.

Other than that, the only difference between another league that you'll see is you probably have to go through a few balls before you find your own. Have fun!

The Mayor
04-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I really like this idea! There's nothing like this around in our area. Talk about leveling the playing field! The Solid Karma is really great, it's so smooth and predictable. It would be a good ball to choose if you only had one ball to use for an entire league.

diamondave
04-21-2011, 07:08 PM
The Brunswick Karma is the only ball you can use no spare balls allowed. I got a 15 lb pearl ordered. We shall see how it goes, starts May 10th. I mean where else are you going to find a brand new ball drilled to your specifications for 25 bucks?

Drano
04-22-2011, 06:36 AM
That is a great idea. The house mice here would never go for it, though.

Oh, can you use a spare ball, too, or do all shots have to be with that ball?

My house's league allows a spare ball to be thrown for the 2nd shot. I guess Dave gets to learn how to flatten out his hand for his spares!

Stormed1
04-22-2011, 09:12 AM
We don't have anything like that around here but i love the idea. It takes the ball out of the equation and puts the focus on the bowler and their ability to adjust

Paralipsis
04-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Explain how this league setup works. Does the house provide a ball and a drilling or doe you get the ball yourself?

Drano
04-24-2011, 04:51 AM
Explain how this league setup works. Does the house provide a ball and a drilling or doe you get the ball yourself?

My houses league, the house stocks up on the ball in different weights, sells the (high-end performance)ball for $90 to people who are entering the league, then whoever buys the ball has to pay a separate price to get it drilled since they're buying it from the bowling alley, not the pro shop. Then you pay the league fee.

diamondave
04-24-2011, 10:47 AM
For my league we pay the 25 dollar fee to sign up and the house orders the ball. When it comes in they will drill it for free, however if you use fingertips or a thumb plug you have to pay for those. I think the real reason they do this is so they have business well into the summer months, during their slow time.

Drano
04-24-2011, 06:20 PM
I would imagine the cost of the ball above the initial 25 is added to the weekly fees. We did a ball league last summer for our Slingshots, but had to wait until the end to get them. Same thing going on this summer at a different house, but for a Nano. We'd join, but I really don't need a heavy oiler right now, and I'd have to give up a few weeks of my current league to join as it's starting way early.

That's what my league did last season, you payed 25 up front then payed for the rest over the course of the league. This year you just pay for the ball up front then pay normal league fees.

diamondave
05-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Well I got my ball drilled and threw three games on it. It took till the third game to dial it in for me but last game shot a 195. I was not expecting how much back end that there was. Nice throwing ball though.

diamondave
05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
league starts tonight. going to be interesting to see if I get my butt handed to me or not. either way that is not the reason I joined the league. it is more for the experience. Winning would be nice too.

diamondave
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
well not a bad start. won 2 out of the 4 points yesterday. my high game was a 203. fun style of play.

The Mayor
05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Good job! Over the course of the summer you'll really know what this ball can do and that will only help you in the future!

diamondave
07-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Well, after the last game of the summer leauge I am kind of glad it is over as now I can get the ball sanded and polished and new fingertip grips. I finished with a ave of 160. not bad concidering I finished my fall league at 138. Ended up wining either 14 or 15 points out of 40. I did learn a lot, and had a blast.

Trex
07-15-2011, 06:39 AM
I wish someone would start a Retro bowl league where you can only use one ball for strikes and spares and the ball must be made of rubber. The ball can be a 40 year old used original, or brand new just drilled, but must be an old school rubber ball.

Some people claim that rubber balls react like plastic, but I do not agree!! I see a huge difference between rubber and plastic, the same as between plastic and urethane, and urethane and reactive.

Some people claim rubber balls will not work on synthetic lanes, but again I do not agree as I have averaged over 200 with an old rubber ball on todays synthetic lanes and on todays oil patterns!!

I would love to bowl in league or tournaments if only Rubber bowling balls were allowed!!

diamondave
07-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Well ended up winning 14 points for the league. 42.00 in my pocket. had a 9 pin no tap last night and I hit 206, 185, and 209, that is good for me. now on with the rest of my summer.