PDA

View Full Version : Haven't bowled in years

comfortably numb
04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking about starting up bowling again, if I can afford it. I was in a league for one summer when I was in 7th grade, so it's been 40 years. Since I have no clue about new ball technology, or even if I should purchase a ball of my own or not, what do you experience bowlers recommend I do, and what kind of ball is good for beginners like me???

diamondave
04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Welcome,
I just got back into bowling myself. First let me tell you that I had a ball that was 27 years old. If you use a house ball that will work just fine to get the kinks out of your game. once you have the basics down then you might want to look into a new ball. Again what you will get will depend on the style of bowling you want to throw. you should talk to your local proshop operator to give you some recomendations, or check out bowlingball.com. They have a section that makes it easy to see what beginer balls are out there. good luck and more important have fun.

J Anderson
04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
My first recommendation is that you should purchase shoes first. Shoe rentals quickly add up to the cost of a pair of inexpensive bowling shoes.
My second is that you join a summer league. Its only a 14 week commitment as opposed to the thirty + weeks of the fall / winter leagues. It is likely that there will be experienced bowlers in the league who will be willing to give you advice.
Having your own ball is a great convenience, and most pro shops have a pretty good deal on a Ball, Bag, and Shoe package for new bowlers. After all they want to get you hooked on the sport.

Drano
04-26-2011, 06:20 PM
I agree with J on the shoe thing. A new pair of shoes will run you about $40.00 from your local pro shop, so after about 10 trips to go bowling, they will have paid for themselves.

But I don't suggest using a house ball to practice with to get the basics down, because they're nothing like having your own ball. You'll become accustomed to grabbing the ball to hang onto it rather than just letting the ball hang onto you like it would if you had it properly drilled for yourself. Most pro shops sell plastic balls rather cheap, about $70-100 depending on the pro shop, I'd recommend buying one of those to get the basics down. Another option is you could add another $40 onto that if you wanted an inexpensive entry level reactive ball, if you were looking to try to hook the ball.

The weight should be whatever you're comfortable with throwing, you'll get the best pin action with a heavier ball, but if you break your arm throwing it, what good is it? If you can throw a 15lb comfortably, that would be the best option for ball weight.

If you go to your local pro shop, he'll explain all of the above and more, if he tries to sell you a top of the line ball for $200+ dollars, he's trying to rip you off, at your stage the most you'll need is a $130 entry level ball.

diamondave
04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I agree shoes are more important than a ball.

PSBA10
04-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Drano is absolutely correct. It will be so much easier and fun starting out the right way. By using a house ball I can guarantee you will pick up many bad habits, everywhere from squeezing the ball to muscling your shot trying to make the ball do something. Once you get your own ball properly fitted to your hand those habits will be very very hard to change. You will become frustrated and lose interest quickly.

Visit your local pro shop. Most have decent used balls that can be purchased very cheap. Have your hand measured and the ball fitted to your hand. The minimal investment will pay BIG dividends.

I equate using a house ball to going golfing with clubs designed for a 12 year old. Sure they will work, but they won't work right for an adult.

comfortably numb
05-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I appreciate the responses you gave me about starting up bowling again. Getting my own shoes and my own ball seem like a good idea. I would like to learn to hook the ball, so what type of coverstock should I be looking for?

PSBA10
05-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Once again I suggest visiting your local pro shop. Talk to the pro shop operator. Let him know you're just starting out, and what you want to do. I'm confident he will lead you in the right direction.