PDA

View Full Version : First Post. Help with Ball selection please.

Jake0110
04-27-2011, 11:12 AM
After bowling my first game over 200, I have decided that I might as well invest in a ball of my own. I have been looking around online, and have looked around in my local Pro Shop for ideas, but I am pretty much clueless as to what I am looking for.

I am a thumbless bowler using a 14lb house ball. On a moderately used lane (middle of the day) I can usually crank the ball with about 10-13 boards of hook with a house ball. My biggest struggles are when I go the the alley at night after they have done the oiling for the night. I cannot seem to get my shot in the pocket, or as much angle on the pocket as I'd like to have.

My biggest question is, should I try to stick with a low hook potential ball and try to find a ball that is more hook friendly?

Also, I am wondering the benefits of a back end action ball as opposed to a normal action ball? I was watching a guy bowl with a ball that hooked on the back end of the lane, but it looked like he had a lot of problems controlling the break point of the ball. Usually his ball broke too much and he missed the 1-2 pocket (left handed) and hit the 1-3 consistently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in my quest for a great ball.

Drano
04-27-2011, 05:22 PM
How fast/slow do you throw it? That's a huge factor to be taken into consideration.

If you throw it faster, you'll want a more reactive ball that will read earlier, if you throw it slower, you'll want a less reactive ball that will read the lane later.

I'd define slower as 10-14mph, and would suggest a ball along the lines of a Tropical Storm, or an Ebonite Tornado.
Faster would be around 18+mph, and I would suggest a ball like maybe a Storm Marvel.

Since you say you cover 13 boards with a house ball, I'm going to assume you throw it slower. Of course, your best resource for help would be your local pro shop owner. If you ask him to watch you bowl, he'll be able to give a much better suggestion as to ball choice.

Good luck and have fun!

Jake0110
04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah, one of the things on my to-do list is to increase my ball speed. Right now I'm bowling at about 13-14mph. I keep being told the Storm Tropical series or the Columbia Freeze is where I'd probably see the most success. I'm planning on going to my Pro Shop and having a chat with him tomorrow.

Drano
04-28-2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah, one of the things on my to-do list is to increase my ball speed. Right now I'm bowling at about 13-14mph. I keep being told the Storm Tropical series or the Columbia Freeze is where I'd probably see the most success. I'm planning on going to my Pro Shop and having a chat with him tomorrow.

The freeze is at about the same level as a Tropical Storm/Tornado, just from Columbia. Other balls around the same level from different companies include the AMF Hype, Brunswick Slingshot, Motiv Recon.. etc the list goes on

DanielMareina
04-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Entry Level people, I usually would recommend the Tropical Heat over the Tropical Storm. It is a much more consistent reaction, and better for the average bowler. Storm has a new release coming soon that will be a good option too, if you want to wait a month or so. The Columbia Freeze is a good ball too, as you have been told, but I would not suggest the Slingshot or Tornado. You will get a better reaction for your money out of the Freeze or Heat. Good luck!

Jake0110
04-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your suggestions and help. The pro shop at my local alley was closed unscheduled again today when I dropped by, so I'm gonna head back toward my parents house to buy a ball. They just recently opened a brand new alley and pro shop back where I grew up. I think ill have a little better luck there. The alley I bowl at here is a little under kept and poorly managed anyway.

Drano
04-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Entry Level people, I usually would recommend the Tropical Heat over the Tropical Storm. It is a much more consistent reaction, and better for the average bowler. Storm has a new release coming soon that will be a good option too, if you want to wait a month or so. The Columbia Freeze is a good ball too, as you have been told, but I would not suggest the Slingshot or Tornado. You will get a better reaction for your money out of the Freeze or Heat. Good luck!

From what I've seen of people throwing balls, the tropical heat is a ton more ball than a freeze. I've only seen the black/silver one though, not any of the other colors...

kev3inp
04-30-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't know why there seems to be such animosity toward the Slingshot. I thought it was basically going to be a spare ball, but I was very wrong. If it's dry or you play the outside it is a great ball. It won't hook at all in oil, but for a light condition, or broken down, it's perfect. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

DanielMareina
05-03-2011, 02:24 PM
From what I've seen of people throwing balls, the tropical heat is a ton more ball than a freeze. I've only seen the black/silver one though, not any of the other colors...

The hybrid coverstock tropical heat is more ball than the freeze. The pearlized ones are comprable. I have drilled a fair amount of each, and both seem to be a solid reacting ball. Nothing over the top, but enough that you aren't buying a glorified spare ball.

Jake0110
05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
I just got my Tropical Heat drilled today and boy is it a beauty. It does exactly what I wanted to get out of a ball. I had my doubts about my local Pro, but he turned out to be a really great guy, and he did a great job setting me up with a drill layout that matched what I wanted my ball to do. My pin is about an inch up of my ring finger with the CG about an inch right. I just aim to have my ball hit the 5-6 board right at the end of the oil and it releases right into the pocket perfectly. I couldn't be happier. Right out of the box I threw a 164, 190, 188. (I average 143 with a House Ball)

DanielMareina
05-13-2011, 11:12 AM
I am very glad to hear that! I use my tropical heat on our house shot quite often, and as a staff member I have one of almost everything Storm makes. The tropical heat is consistent, strong, and yet not too much ball. I know you will enjoy and succeed with that ball! Get ready to average ten pins higher in no time.

Jake0110
05-13-2011, 09:39 PM
http://imageshack.us/f/5/ball1v.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/109/ball2f.jpg/