PDA

View Full Version : New with fingertip Ball

broncofan27
05-17-2011, 12:34 PM
So I am getting back into bowling after years of just casual bowling and league bowling here and there. I have always wanted to learn to throw a hook and taught myself how to throw one two fingered. I got some pretty good results from this with my best game being a 255 opening with 7 straight. I know this is not really the proper way to throw a hook. So I have been trying to learn the proper 3 finger form. I have a 15 pound Monster Slayr that I got used. The fitting seems good from what I can tell outside of the thumb. i think it may be a little big. My issue is that I am getting a little bit of pain and stiffness at the base of my middle finger. I am assuming this is from producing lift with those fingers. Is this typical? What could be causing it if it isn't typical?

The Mayor
05-17-2011, 01:46 PM
You may get a little bit of soreness in the tips of your fingers from lifting, but you shouldn't have any in the base. Chances are, the thumb is too big and you're having to squeeze which is causing you to strain something. Also, your span may be a bit too long or the pitch of your fingers isn't correct.

broncofan27
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
You may get a little bit of soreness in the tips of your fingers from lifting, but you shouldn't have any in the base. Chances are, the thumb is too big and you're having to squeeze which is causing you to strain something. Also, your span may be a bit too long or the pitch of your fingers isn't correct.

I think you may correct on the thumb hole. I just bowled 3 games on my lunch break and I feel like I am having to put a death grip on the ball. It's making it hard for me to concentrate on my release. I think I am going to go by the pro shop on my way home from work today and see what they can do to fix the thumb hole for me.

Drano
05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I think you may correct on the thumb hole. I just bowled 3 games on my lunch break and I feel like I am having to put a death grip on the ball. It's making it hard for me to concentrate on my release. I think I am going to go by the pro shop on my way home from work today and see what they can do to fix the thumb hole for me.

If its just the thumb, you can put some tape in the hole to make it fit, if its way too big, you'll have to re-slug it and re-drill through it, which should only cost 10-15 bucks depending on your pro shop. If the spans off too, you'll have to plug the thumb and move it, which shouldn't be too expensive

broncofan27
05-17-2011, 05:09 PM
If its just the thumb, you can put some tape in the hole to make it fit, if its way too big, you'll have to re-slug it and re-drill through it, which should only cost 10-15 bucks depending on your pro shop. If the spans off too, you'll have to plug the thumb and move it, which shouldn't be too expensive

Yea hopefully it won't be too bad to get done. I just really think it's causing a problem with my game. When i first got the ball I threw 7 straight with it but now thats it's wearing on my hand I think the issues with the span are starting to show.

broncofan27
05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
So or done at the pro shop. Turns out the fingers were too big and span was 3/16" to long which would explain what's going on. Getting this all corrected and get it back Thursday.

The Mayor
05-18-2011, 08:30 AM
And this is the same Pro Shop who originally fit and drilled the ball for you?

broncofan27
05-18-2011, 08:38 AM
And this is the same Pro Shop who originally fit and drilled the ball for you?

Oh no not at all. Like I said I got the ball used and pre-drilled so the pro shop is not at fault at all.

phonedrn8
11-19-2011, 11:48 PM
how are you rollin now?

HunterRunsIt
11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
You shouldn't have to really grip your ball at all, I learned that the hard way! I ended up with blisters to the max! Your ball should fit like a glove!!!