PDA

View Full Version : Input on 2nd ball purchase.

Jake0110
06-24-2011, 11:09 PM
I love my Tropical Heat Hybrid. It is an amazing ball that I can use when my lane is broken down or when I'm out open bowling with my friends. My biggest problem with it is that it tends to slide out a lot and struggles to grab on the backend on my house's old wooden lanes after a fresh coat of oil.

Since I am starting my first league in the Fall, I am looking to pick up a more aggressive, heavier oil ball to start off bowling with until the lane dries out a little.

I have been doing research, and am contemplating the new Storm Marvel Pearl when it releases in July. Although I like the reaction that I've seen on performance videos (Thanks bowlingball.com!), I am wondering if its going to have the same grab and go on wooden lanes?

I am also on the fence about trying out my first asymmetrical ball in the Storm Anarchy. Will there be much of a learning curve moving from a symmetrical ball to an asymmetrical ball?

kev3inp
06-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Pretty much whatever you get you're going to have to figure out how how ball "likes" to be thrown. You can throw it your comfortable way and have fair success, but it's always seemed to me that I've had to fish around with speeds, hand positions, lines to see what each different ball does consistently best. If you're expecting heavy oil you might want something more aggressive than a pearl. And again, going to an assymetrical core you'll have to figure out what it likes. The ones I've thrown are perhaps a little more curvy after the breakpoint into the pins than a symmetrical core, but maybe that's just me.

The Mayor
06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Asymmetrical cored balls are in general more angular at the breakpoint (Of course layout has a big effect on this). I think the Marvel Pearl would be a perfect ball choice. It is definitely much more aggressive than the Tropical Heat. I believe the Marvel Pearl is the sleeper of all of the bowling balls coming out this year. No one can compete with Storm when it comes to high performance symmetrical pearls. Another ball to look at would be the Roto Grip Infinite Theory. Amazing ball, also a hybrid and very aggressive.