PDA

View Full Version : VICTORY ROAD SOLID review by Storm staffer Jeff Richgels

Riggs
07-14-2011, 05:40 PM
The VICTORY ROAD SOLID is the solid version of the popular VICTORY ROAD PEARL, using the same inverted Fe³ technology weight block but with R2S Solid coverstock. The box finish is 3,000 Abralon.

Storm's goal was more midlane roll with strong backend motion like the VR PEARL has.

Personally, I've been looking for a strong, solid ball that fits between my NANOs and MARVELs – not as early rolling as the NANO and with a longer and sharper motion than the MARVEL. I've got two each of the NANO and MARVEL and they are my rough surface, strong balls of choice, but there seemed to be a hole to fill between them.

For the VR SOLID, I chose my favorite strong drilling for that type of motion: The pin is above my bridge and the CG is kicked out at about a 60 degree angle. My pin to PAP (my coordinates are 5 1/8 over and 3/4 up) distance for the ball was 5 1/8 inches, with the "mass bias" (it's a symmetrical so the spot 6 3/4 from my pin through my CG) to PAP distance at 3 1/4 inches and the pin buffer at 3 3/8 inches. It has a small weight hole at P2.

I threw it against a MARVEL with a pin in the same spot but the drilling angle 90 degree (stacked) with the CG in my grip center. The cover is 2,000 Abralon with some lane shine.

I've used the VR SOLID on both a fresh PBA Chameleon pattern at a PBA Regional on nearly new Brunswick synthetics, and a fresh house shot on Brunswick synthetics that are about 8 years old.

I ended up with pretty much exactly what I was looking for: both balls hooked about the same amount but the VR SOLID definitely had a sharper motion than the MARVEL.

At the Regional, the VR SOLID was about the only ball that gave me a good reaction on the fresh – after starting with a couple of splits in the first four frames using a weak ball and trying to play safe and straight, I grabbed the VR SOLID and moved my feet in and sent the ball from 10 at the arrows out to about 5-7 at the break and ran a 5-bagger that enable me to salvage a plus game the first game.

On the house shot, I had oodles of room so long as I kept it in the oil and didn't get it to the dry too quick.

Essentially, I would say the VR SOLID could be called a MARVEL with more back-end motion or a VR PEARL that hooks earlier but with about the same motion.

The one thing I've noticed – and it makes perfect sense with the motion – is more harder taps (like solid 9s) than weaker taps (like weak 10s).

If you're looking for a strong solid that makes a strong move, the VR SOLID should be great for you. If you have trouble with balls that are too strong in the back-end, I would think a MARVEL might be a better ball for you.

The Mayor
07-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Congrats on another Eagle, Jeff! Great review, this ball is definitely a winner!