PDA

View Full Version : What's the very worst job you ever held in your life?

comfortably numb
07-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Everyone has held jobs that they absolutely hated. What is the very worst job you have held? What made it so bad and how long did you last before you left?

Trex
07-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Splitting mountain stone with an air chisel!!!

The Mayor
08-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Worked on an assembly line making plastic pieces for windows. It was a constant flow of plastic for 10 hours straight that had to be cut wound and stacked. One very short lunch break. In a warehouse in Florida in the summer with no ventilation. I was there 3 days and said... screw that!

comfortably numb
08-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I had a job in the parts department of the largest styrofoam cup maker in the USA in my hometown in Michigan 30 years ago. No air conditioning; summertime hire; dirty, nasty, hot, boring, and 2 fellow employees who had decided to drink a fifth of Jack in the parking lot on their last day of work also decided to pee in the corner of the back parts room floor (the smell lasted for weeks)....after 90 days, they offered me a (huge??) 25 cent raise, and I said "NO MAS" and walked out the door.

Trex
08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
One of the worst was sweeping dust that was about an inch thick, and black as soot, from the basement of an old corn feed company. Also had to shovel the corn back into the conveyor belt that led back up to the top of the tower where it is dumped across the street into huge bins, that had fallen down to the basement and piled up in piles over your head!!

It was dark, and stale down there, and rats and spiders were everywhere!! If any moister fell down there and mixed with the dust it turned into a black stinky muck that attracted flies...I was happy to find a new job and leave that place!

The Mayor
08-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Screw that! I don't do anything that involves spiders!!

comfortably numb
08-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Especially those big, nasty spiders that came over here from China and are hiding in a 40-foot trailer, waiting for you to unload it in the Florida heat tomorrow, eh?

Trex
08-05-2011, 05:55 AM
It wouldn't happen to be an Estes Delivery Truck would it? LOL

comfortably numb
08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
One of my other horrible jobs, and I've had more than my share since 1973, is the time I worked for an importer in a small 3 person office. He was on the road a lot, and would call into the office 30 times a day to micromanage you. He even tried calling me a home on my cell one night. I lasted 2 weeks, and thank God he fired me!!! It was Christmas week, and I have never been so glad to be jobless at Christmas as I was then!

Trex
08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
The one's that I can't talk about....Like those where you...oh yeah,I can't talk about it! LOL

comfortably numb
08-11-2011, 08:11 AM
The one's that I can't talk about....Like those where you...oh yeah,I can't talk about it! LOL

Like what went on in your position as a Government Scientist...were there really aliens in Roswell, NM? Or, is there an un-announced viral outbreak that the CDC is covering up? Or could it be that you discovered a working substitute for gasoline to power our cars, but the oil companies paid off the Government and it won't ever be used? You know, stuff like that. LOL

Stormed1
08-11-2011, 10:13 AM
ed making a charcoal filter for a water softener. Had to take 3-4 baths when i got home just to get rid of the dust that got on you through your clothes. Nt to mention the dust you inhaled even though you were wearing a filtered mask