PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to buy your bowling equipment from pro shops or on-line?

comfortably numb
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
And, why do you prefer one over the other?

Trex
08-05-2011, 09:50 AM
on-line...Hands down!!!

Once they have my specs they can drill the ball, or balls, and ship them to me, all I have to do is glue the inserts in place and go bowling!!!

No fuss over layouts...blah blah blah!!

I get what I want without any arguments. :)

jaydee
08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
My preference is the local Pro shop. Very knowledgeable people, supports the local economy and builds relationships.

That said I do occasionally buy stuff online, as I can't always get everything I need from the pro shop.

comfortably numb
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I prefer on-line. In this economy, why spend more money than you need to?

glen290
08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I prefer my local pro shops, always find it easier when i can have a chat about specs, and because I bowl with the owner, heknows my style and suggests equipment from experience

TCDale
08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I buy online for things my local pro shops (which aren't very good and have terrible hours) can't or wont help me with. Also with limited hours, I cannot get a dialogue started with them. We have a Bronze level coach here, but, to ask him questions or try to learn more about the balls and equipment, he just gives us quick answers, and doesn't care about us unless we are spending big bucks in his store.

So the online stores are my only place I can find good prices, good balls, and intelligent discussions on things that confuse or that I need more information on. I haven't bowled league in years, but, I would love to again, but, I need to learn my new (to me) Storm HyRoad before I can join a league. It is not working like I want, but, I am learning it's nuances and I hope to be more consistent. (Grew up throwing my dad's Black Beauty, and I have Mineralite in my arsenal that I use for spares.. I miss the ol' Black hard rubber ball.)

Trex
08-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I buy online for things my local pro shops (which aren't very good and have terrible hours) can't or wont help me with. Also with limited hours, I cannot get a dialogue started with them. We have a Bronze level coach here, but, to ask him questions or try to learn more about the balls and equipment, he just gives us quick answers, and doesn't care about us unless we are spending big bucks in his store.

So the online stores are my only place I can find good prices, good balls, and intelligent discussions on things that confuse or that I need more information on. I haven't bowled league in years, but, I would love to again, but, I need to learn my new (to me) Storm HyRoad before I can join a league. It is not working like I want, but, I am learning it's nuances and I hope to be more consistent. (Grew up throwing my dad's Black Beauty, and I have Mineralite in my arsenal that I use for spares.. I miss the ol' Black hard rubber ball.)

I had to use my....ol' Black hard rubber ball today!! ...It's the only thing that would work!! Everything else was burning up so bad it was silly!!

I have the same problems as you with the locals (which aren't very good and have terrible hours).

So I know what you mean!! Thank God for Bowlingball.com!! :)

For those who need them, they are an answer to Prayer!!

The Mayor
08-11-2011, 01:15 PM

What seems to be the problem with your Hy-Road? Why is it not reacting they way that you'd like? What do you wish it was doing that it's not? Maybe I can help you get things straightened out!

TCDale
08-11-2011, 02:32 PM
What seems to be the problem with your Hy-Road? Why is it not reacting they way that you'd like? What do you wish it was doing that it's not? Maybe I can help you get things straightened out!

Not hooking very well. I "believe" I am more of a stroker bowler, and not a tweener, but, in a house with less oil, I can lay ball down on the five to six board and it hooks nicely into the pocket. But moving crosstown to a heavier oiled center, same place the ball (of which it is supposed to be better in the slicker stuff) just can't stay on the right side of the pins, making adjustments to left not work, as the ball slides too much and not hitting the pocket.

I had the ball sanded to 2000 grit as the pro in our capital city said it needed. I was seeing the ball slide too much and not make enough room back. So... my game is inconsistent, most of it my own, but, bowling for as long as I have, I know to make adjustments. Trouble is with the HyRoad, I am not as comfortable with it as I was my old Columbia 300 and Black Rubber balls. More of a straight shot, and now the HyRoad is closer to the game I play now, dropping from 16 to a 15.

So my old Black Beauty would lay down at the five board and pile into the pins, but, I was hoping to be able to get the ball to arc better into the pocket, and not just from the second arrow.

I wish I could tell you my stats on the ball, but I dont have the measurements to tell you. Under the impression that is drilled for slower stroker type bowling. Any ideas would be helpful!!! :) I am in my early 50's and could use some help!

The Mayor
08-12-2011, 07:41 AM
It sounds like your A game is playing straighter up the boards. There's nothing wrong with that. Look at Norm Duke and Walter Ray. Granted, the Hy-Road should give you more area and room to the left, but it's not going to totally change your style. I would take the ball to 1000 and polish. I did this with mine and it gave me a much smoother reaction, more aggressive and started up earlier. I think this will help you!

Motivlution
08-16-2011, 05:50 PM
lately, I've preferred to buy my equipment online as I can always find what I want online it is generally cheaper that way. Especially when it comes to bowling balls. I managed to buy my Motiv GT1 and have it drilled by a very knowledgeable local pro shop owner for less than $150 which I considered to be a steal when it was newly out.

That being said the only thing I won't buy online are shoes and that is just because I feel like shoes are something you need to be able to try on.

Trex
08-17-2011, 02:54 PM
lately, I've preferred to buy my equipment online as I can always find what I want online it is generally cheaper that way. Especially when it comes to bowling balls. I managed to buy my Motiv GT1 and have it drilled by a very knowledgeable local pro shop owner for less than $150 which I considered to be a steal when it was newly out.

That being said the only thing I won't buy online are shoes and that is just because I feel like shoes are something you need to be able to try on.

That is one concern that I have is the shoes..... I want a pair of SST8's and I need a 10 Wide, So I feel I must try them on, but the only problems is that there are not any Pro Shops that carry the wide width in my area.

So I guess I'll have to wait until I can figure out what is best to do about the shoes, I would hate to order a pair and then they don't fit and then can't return them, that would suck...lol

The Mayor
08-17-2011, 04:06 PM
That is one concern that I have is the shoes..... I want a pair of SST8's and I need a 10 Wide, So I feel I must try them on, but the only problems is that there are not any Pro Shops that carry the wide width in my area.

So I guess I'll have to wait until I can figure out what is best to do about the shoes, I would hate to order a pair and then they don't fit and then can't return them, that would suck...lol

bowlingball.com has the Sure Fit Plan. If you purchase it and the shoes don't fit, they will pay for the shipping back to them and then for the shipping of another pair back to you.

phonedrn8
11-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I do both, get the info and research check prices in pro shop and if find cheeper online wait on UPS.

HunterRunsIt
11-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I mix it up! Depending where I can get better prices! I get a 10% discount at my proshop because I work in the alley so thats where I usually go just because times are tough and I go where I can get the deal.

Bizwan65
11-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Right now I order most of my stuff online. I just started bowling again after many years. I'm not in a league and haven't developed a relationship with an alley and or proshop yet. Also, the proshops are in the bowling alleys and have inconvenient hours so online is easier.

StormGirl
11-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Though I have yet to purchase my own ball, I would probably buy it from a pro shop. Just looking at the prices, you don't really save much. Also, I think buying from a pro shop helps build a relationship with the pro shop guy, which in turn could benefit you in many ways.

bdpeters
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
from my limited experience I would have to say the Pro shop, at least for shoes. seems the prices are better online but it is nice to actually touch/try something before purchase besided right now I would have no idea about my drilling layout.I guess I could buy a ball online and then have it drilled locally. if you got a line on a good shop it would be nice to buy local and support the little guy.

Bri

littlelegs
11-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Not a clear answer for me on that one.

If it's a ball it'll depend on pricing. It's usually cheaper to use bowlingball.com and then pay drilling than to have my pro shop get it in and pay that price even if drilling is included.

That said if the pro shop gets a deal on a ball I've had my eye on for a while and I have the cash I'll use them.

Accessories such as grip sacks, towels etc often come from the alley's pro shop as I tend to need them immediately (i.e. I realize I've lost the old one).

Shoes I'd love to get from the pro shop so that I can try them on but sadly stock levels are crap so they tend to be bought online too.

JerseyJim
11-30-2011, 05:52 PM
I've brought a Cell from Buddies Pro Shop online. I shipped them a ball that fit well, and they matched it up perfectly. The only reason I did this was that my sister got me a gift certificate for them. I prefer going to a couple of local pro shops. Both drillers have seen me bowl, and they can make suggestions as to what to buy. I haven't had any issues with either of them.

natural1
12-24-2011, 01:50 PM
i prefer my pro shop although ive never bought online. i find my proshop has really decent prices(bowlerx) and he can watch me bowl and give suggestions as to what i am looking to get out of the ball i want to purchase.

littlelegs
12-24-2011, 04:12 PM
The guy at my local independent pro shop makes almost the same if he just drills or supplies too so he's happy to do either and as with yours, will often watch me bowl and offer coaching and equipment advice. His wife also teaches my daughter piano so we are considering just sending my wife's pay check direct to their bank to save time :p