PDA

View Full Version : What sports did you play in High School/were you good?

comfortably numb
08-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Most of us played at least one sport in High School. What sport(s) did you play? Were you any good, and how did your teams do? What was your favorite sport you played then?

comfortably numb
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Ok, I will be the first to go...I played on the golf team; we won the league title my senior year; I was 5th or 6th best player on the team, but coach always put me in the group that played the other teams top 2 players every match, because our best player loved to play against the other teams worst players!

Tenkei
08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I golfed as well all throughout middle school. Started wrestling in 8th grade until my junior year. Also played football since I was in 8th grade all throughout college. Wouldn't say I was the best wrestler in high school but I did win 3rd in state in 8th grade, 2nd in 9th, and 4th in 10th grade. Junior/senior year was too hectic to really focus on what I loved. Played starter right tackle and sometimes free safety all throughout highschool. For a small guy like me, I'd say that's a huge accomplishment :) Our school had an amazing football team as well.

The Mayor
08-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow, RT and FS! You might be the only person to ever play those two positions lol.

I was on the baseball and bowling teams. I had more fun bowling though. It was super competitive and we were gooooood. haha. Played 2nd base in baseball.

Motivlution
08-16-2011, 05:43 PM
I was in an intramural bowling and a USBC sanctioned bowling league. In addition to that I was on our varsity Track and Field team. I participated in the long jump, triple jump, and Pole Vault events and well I wouldn't really say I was great I did manage to get to our District competition each year barring my freshman year (the only year that I ran the 300m and 110m hurdles) and earned a Varsity letter each year as well.

Brad Pierce
08-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Being in high school, I'm doing Bowling this year. Did Tennis for a while, always smacked the ball over the fence, so I quit lol.

Trex
08-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Being in high school, I'm doing Bowling this year. Did Tennis for a while, always smacked the ball over the fence, so I quit lol.

I had the same problem with Tennis!! LOL ...I laugh when see them play Tennis on TV, you can hear them grunt when they hit the ball, I'm like....why are they grunting!! Do they grunt because they are that weak?

I was only good at 100 yard and 50 yard dash, no one could beat me, but that's all I was good at in school as far as sports. We did not have bowling, all we had was football,baseball,basketball, and track.

Brad Pierce
08-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Haha I laugh when I see it as well!

J Anderson
08-21-2011, 07:42 PM
I played no organized sports until junior year when I joined one of my Dad's bowling leagues. My friend Greg did spend three years trying to convince me that I should go out for the football team. As a 5'-3", 110lb freshman who grew into a 5'-8", 120lb senior, I didn't think this was a good idea.

phonedrn8
09-20-2011, 02:48 PM
working having car and talking to the ladies does that count as a sport?

bdpeters
12-16-2011, 02:40 PM
I wrestled a bitm but had to leave the team because of my grades and no I was not that great at it either. my main activity in highschool was parking lot duty.

Bri

tumblebug1949
12-16-2011, 03:19 PM
My school didn't have all of those opportunities. You either ran track or played basketball. That gave about 14 kids in the school a chance to bounce a ball. Everyone else ran track except me. I got good at playing hooky.

striker12
02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
phonedrn8 i like that lol ...

when i was in grade 9 i played- football and baseball are football teamed sucks kinda barly made playoffs and beat out first game and in baseball we made the finaly and the stupid ref made us lose by counting a run when we got the 3rd out and they counted the run

when i was in grade 10 i played football and rugby- football same as grade 9 the hole same thing and i rugby we where the double A champtions

when i was in grade 11 i did track-ran the 100-200 and did long jump got beat in the 100 placed 1 in the 200 at kassa and could not do ofssa cause imessed up my leg at kassa doing the 200 almost beat the world record ran 18.8 seconds and hurt my leg at the last 25m wher ei was limping placed 1st in long jump made it all the way to east reginals on a hurt leg but lucky i jump off my left leg not my right leg jumped 8.72 feet new track record

and in grade 12 i did nothing other then be a lazy and miss school

Grimthrow
02-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Hockey. I played leftside defense and occasionally center. On defense I enjoyed roughing up the people in front of my net because the refs rarely ever call a penalty there unless you really get chippy. Center is fun as well because you don't really have a specific place to be, you are really just supposed to help out everywhere. Looking back I was probably a horrible center, I think I floated around and cherry picked too much.

striker12
02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
i also forgot to put in grade 11 in played basketball but only for a couple months thats when i hurt my leg and me and my buddy where the best on the team but we both could not play my leg got hurt and his leg got broke soo the team did alright threw out the rest of the year but not at its best

Timmytomma
02-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I was in the band lol...it's almost a sport :/ I was really good at both the playing and marching aspects. I'd say I was probably the 4th or 5th best trumpet player out of like 20+ and I'd say top 10 marchers in a 100+ member band...that's all I got lol.

DaveAyotte
02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
The only sport that really meant anything in my high school was Hockey... and in my short stint of playing in PeeWee and Mites, I spent more time in the penalty box than on the ice, so it wasn't for me. Anything I participated it during high school was considered a 'club' because it wasn't played against other schools, it was just for fun, i guess. So I did flag football club and bowling club. Nothing crazy.

CrimsonEncounter
09-26-2012, 09:05 AM
I played football, was a two year letterman at fullback and on Special Teams. I probably have forgotten more about the game than my alma mater's current coach knows.

wdc1987
09-26-2012, 02:47 PM
I played Basket Ball in high School. Played Power Forward and Small forward for two years. My 10th grade year I was looked at by University of Colorado. Ended up hurting my back my junior year and had to stop playing.

billf
09-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Left Defensive End (3 time high school USA Today all-American) Tight End, baseball where I played centerfield and was the closer. I never played football before my sophomore season. The coach saw me the first day I was at that school and told me I was playing. Turns out really strong kids who are quick, fast and have good hand and foot work from martial arts training are naturals for football. When I did my college scout drill day I ran the 40 in full pads 4.37 at 6' and 268lbs.
After the state championship baseball game I played in a charity game (with college permission) and got my cleat stuck in the chainlink fence when I made a catch. My momentum took my body over tearing my left ACL. Scholarship was yanked the next day while I was in surgery. I was in the Army 10 days later. No, I did not disclose my injury and it was the right knee I tore up in the Gulf.
Now all these years later, it takes me longer to think about running 40 yards than it use to take to do it.

Greenday
09-30-2012, 12:46 AM
I did football freshman and sophomore year. Quit after I got mono and was in such bad shape when the season started that I couldn't compete with everyone else. Bowled junior and senior year. Was a girl's lacrosse manager for two years.