PDA

View Full Version : Backdraft Review

Dustin Markowitz
08-25-2011, 03:26 PM
The Ball: 15.3Lbs Backdraft
The Layout: Pin placement 2 O’Clock, 1/8 Side-1/4 Finger
The Pattern: 39 FT House
The Positive: Aggressive top end with strong skid down lane.
The Negative: Can roll out on heavier oil patterns

The Review: This was the second ball I threw from Motiv and one of the balls that made me realize how versatile the line could be. You hear a lot of opinions that certain companies can only offer one ball type (ALA: Storm for Skid/Snap, Brunswick for Arc, etc) but Motiv proved to me that you can stay with one company and have a great line of different equipment. The Backdraft solidified this opinion.

I began my testing of the Backdraft by using it on the 39 FT House pattern and found it to be very desirable. I’ve long been a fan of mid-priced balls that perform at top levels and this ball just fits that grade. This ball had a long read down lane before taking a strong left turn and showcasing what skid/snap can be in a ball. While this may confuse some bowlers who have thrown only the factory dull equipment in the Motiv line, soon they will find that this ball can easily be adapted to their game.

As the lanes broke down the Backdraft continued to have a decent read although by the seventh or eighth game you do see that the backend reaction does start to die off. I had no problems using this on a league pattern, however, and feel that it is as dependable and designed as well as any other factory polished piece of equipment on the market today. For my game this is another great ball to keep in the bag and have for those dry-to-medium patterns where you need that explosion on the top end.

Dustin Markowitz
MOTIV Staff Member