PDA

View Full Version : I need help...

Dropkick
09-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Hello everyone. I need a bit of help finding my first ball. I used to bowl as a kid, but just started back up around four months ago. Im averaging around 140 with the house ball. My friends who play a bit more than me say that im a cranker. Im completely lost on what ball I should pick. Any help would be great! thanks.

The Mayor
09-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi! Choosing a ball from all of the different selections can be very difficult. But you want to find something that is versatile so that you'll have the best shot to score on various lane conditions. You want something that is even rolling and predictable. Since you're a cranker, you won't need anything that is unbelievably aggressive.

I'd take a look at the Storm Tropical Heat Solid Violet/Indigo. It's just an awesome benchmark ball and would be great for you. Also the Roto Grip Rising Star, Motiv QZ2 Backdraft and Storm Frantic would be awesome choices.

Dropkick
09-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks to the both of you for the advice. The lanes at the alley I play at are always very light on the oil, with bone dry backends. I went ahead and ordered the Storm Tropical Heat Solid Violet/Indigo. One last question i have is, being my first ball, what would be the best drill layout? Or would it be best to talk to my pro shop?

ffemtreed
09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Check out the ebonite cylcone's as well. I am very impressed with mine since I got it. Its the most predictable ball in my bag.

DanielMareina
09-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Most pro shop people will drill a person's first ball with the pin above the bridge between the fingers and the CG stacked vertically. This layout works just fine for almost everyone.
You said the lanes at your center are usually light oil, so with a solid coverstock ball, I would suggest making the layout a pin above the fingers to keep the ball from hooking too early. Also, make sure to bowl at least 15 games before you even think about changing the coverstock. If the lanes are dry, you may need to raise the coverstock grit to 4000 or add Xtra shine. Just don't do it before you know exactly how the ball works for you. Good Luck!

Dropkick
09-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Most pro shop people will drill a person's first ball with the pin above the bridge between the fingers and the CG stacked vertically. This layout works just fine for almost everyone.
You said the lanes at your center are usually light oil, so with a solid coverstock ball, I would suggest making the layout a pin above the fingers to keep the ball from hooking too early. Also, make sure to bowl at least 15 games before you even think about changing the coverstock. If the lanes are dry, you may need to raise the coverstock grit to 4000 or add Xtra shine. Just don't do it before you know exactly how the ball works for you. Good Luck!

Thank you for the help!