PDA

View Full Version : Not Sliding that much..is it the shoe?

atty_hen05
09-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Hi fellow bowlers, nice forum you have hear. Very informative.

I have a problem with my approach. The things is, when I release the ball, I don't slide that much to close to planting my feet and I'm losing my balance. I don't stay long enough on my release position to watch the ball causing me to stand on two feet right away. It really affects my timing and release and of course, my score. I am using a universal bowling shoe (Dexter Racer). Should I replace my shoe to a shoe specifically for right handers?

Thanks.

The Mayor
09-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I think you need to decide one way or the other if you're going to slide or plant. If you're intending to slide, but your shoe just won't slide, it will cause you to have little balance thus affecting your shot. However, if you throw the ball intending to plant your foot, you should be able to have more balance because you're prepared to plant. I would recommend going with more of a slide than plant because (from experience) planting can cause knee problems. Either way, moving up to a better shoe could only help you.

atty_hen05
09-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Thank you for that quick reply. Yes, I think its safer for the knee to slide than to plant. Since my shoe has not been sliding enough, my knee sometimes ache a bit after a few frames. The other thing I noticed with my shoe is that its sliding portion of the sole is not that wide, it has a little grasp on the floor when I slide to the foul line making me off balanced when I do my "finishing post". I have a heavy upper body by the way...160lbs. so i think upgrading my shoe will be a big help.

vgw
09-12-2011, 01:13 PM
It sounds like you should make a good investment in some new shoes. The good thing is that the shoes should last you for a very long time.

glen290
09-13-2011, 05:35 AM
I plant all the time, cant seem to slide, as for shoes, because of the way i make my approach, i have to buy a new pair of shoes every few months as my big toe ends up coming through the top of my right shoe :D

The Mayor
09-13-2011, 09:10 AM
I plant all the time, cant seem to slide, as for shoes, because of the way i make my approach, i have to buy a new pair of shoes every few months as my big toe ends up coming through the top of my right shoe :D

You should invest in some sort of strap to keep that thang down!! lol

vgw
09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
or cut your toe nails!

atty_hen05
09-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks.. Just bought a new pair of shoes...and feels better ands slide better than my old one.

phonedrn8
09-20-2011, 09:46 AM
buying new shoes will help feels more fluid when going thru the motion

JerseyJim
09-25-2011, 10:29 PM
One of my old bowling coaches used to tell me if I'm not sliding enough, tighten the shoelaces on my sliding shoe. Loosen them if I'm not sliding enough. It seems to work for me.