PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments and 21 Game Established Average

Cistoran
09-15-2011, 12:21 PM
As we all know most tournaments require a 21 game established average or a previous season book average. My question is, there is a scratch tournament coming up here locally and our team would like to particpate. Our issue is that two of our bowlers are new to sanctioned leagues this year.

Here is some math to check out.

League Start Date: 09/12/2011
Registration Deadline: 10/15/2011
Tournament Date: 11/04/2011

Weeks between League and Registration: 4 (12 Games)
Weeks between League and Tournament: 8 (24 Games)

My question is do we need to have the average established by the registration date or by the tournament date? And if it needs to be the registration date would we be able to have them prebowl the next 3 weeks and have it count or not at all?

J Anderson
09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
If its a scratch tournament, all that should matter is that everyone has paid their sanction fees. I suppose that if the tournament director was trying to match up teams of similar ability he or she would need to know the averages, but that shouldn't exclude your team from participating.

The Mayor
09-15-2011, 03:55 PM
It really depends on the tournament. But I believe as long as they have the 21 games in by the time the tournament starts, that would be fine. I mean, it's a scratch tournament. It's not like sandbagging would help you in the tournament. lol

Cistoran
09-15-2011, 05:54 PM
The tournament is divided up into divisions 4 of them based on average. WOuld that have a lot of effect on it?

bowl1820
09-15-2011, 07:26 PM
The best answer is for you to contact the tournament director, to see how they want to handle it.

Most rules have a provision if a bowler has no average under the other rules, they use a entering average (set by the tourament) for that bowler to use (like 200). You would use that to enter, then have the bowler rerated the day of the tournament if he has meet the other requirements.

DanielMareina
09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Most tournaments in our area would put you as the high end average if you don't have a book. Most tournaments use 220 as the average handicap is based on. Whether the tournament is handicap or scratch, you should still be able to participate in the tourney using that average. I agree that you should contact the tourney director and make sure, because you never know what rules are used for a tournament until you ask. Good luck in the tournament!