PDA

View Full Version : ROTO GRIP - SHOOTING STAR Review

John Brodersen
09-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Ball specs – 15 lbs 1 oz, 2.97 top weight, and 3.5-inch pin.

The Shooting Star was drilled with a 4.5-inch pin, 50-degree drill angle and a 70-degree VAL angle. This layout did require an extra hole and was placed in the P2 position. Using Storm drilling terminology the layout is 4.5 by 3 with a 4 1/8 inch pin buffer. The cover stock was left OOB.

I was really surprised by how much friction the OOB cover created. The Shooting Star started up much sooner that I thought it would but did not roll out. The amount of overall hook was a little less than the Outlaw. Hit and carry were very good. Track flare was in the four inch range, tight but not over lapping. I will probably be changing the cover with Storm’s Step 2 finish.

An OOB Shooting Star will handle heavy-medium to light-heavy patterns with ease. There is a lot of hook potential in this entry level piece.

John Brodersen

SenorRotoGrip
09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Ball Specs: 15# Pin: 4.5 Top Wgt: 2.39

I drilled the Shooting Star using Drill Pattern E (2" pin from pap) from the reaction drill chart. I wanted a ball to use on fresh and slightly broken down wet/dry conditions. This layout combined with the Shooting Star's medium rg/medium differential Neutron core delivered the reaction I was looking for.
Using the ball on a fresh house condition with medium to heavy oil volume, I was able to play an outside line to the pocket. The Shooting Star lived up to the design intent of increasing midlane roll with an earlier breakpoint. Ball motion through the pins was continuous and strong.
On a house condition after the youth league, I was able to still play outside off the wet dry by moving my feet left and playing a 10 to 5 line. The Shooting Star came off the dry and produced a strong arc to the pocket. This gave a good pin mix with little deflection off the pins.